DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2013: WEEK 12

Dolfan in NYC

They were. I've actually gone very easy on refs in all sports in general since seeing that. It was astonishing the difference, not just the calls (which we all knew would be terrible) but how difficult it was to handle keeping the game moving at a correct pace. There were some nearly 2 hour first halves during that ref strike, it was atrocious to try and watch. That and near the end, how openly abusive players were getting towards the replacement refs, some of it bordering on physical intimidation which you'd never think to try on a regular ref.

It was a gong show.

The real question is if the Jets win the week before a bye do they end up losing to the bye week and how many INT TD does Geno Smith throw to the bye week defense? :P

By the way this week's "Football Life" on NFL Network is based on the history of the forward pass.  Really interesting to say how neanderthal and barbaric that football was early in the 20th century.  I mean just amazing the idea of over 16 people dying IN ONE YEAR of football is something

The real question is if the Jets win the week before a bye do they end up losing to the bye week and how many INT TD does Geno Smith throw to the bye week defense? :P

By the way this week's "Football Life" on NFL Network is based on the history of the forward pass.  Really interesting to say how neanderthal and barbaric that football was early in the 20th century.  I mean just amazing the idea of over 16 people dying IN ONE YEAR of football is something

It depends, is the bye week stadium outdoors and in cold weather? Then he throws at least two, and maybe a Schaub for good measure.

http://www.patspulpit.com/2013/11/19/5121100/rules-breaking-down-the-final-play   on a patriots site, no less. Only grey area was if it was catchable and that can be debated ad infinitum. Sick of hearing the whining about it on tv and everywhere. (obligatory reference to patriots holding the saints on last play of that game and getting a no call) Go panthers.

So last week we were talking about how the Browns were going to have to bus back after their game do the weather.

Well they decided to roll the dice and fly home.

It almost was the last, worst decision they ever made

“It was terrifying,” Pinkston said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “It was the real thing. The weather was so bad. We were coming in to land and [the pilot] had to go kind of fast to balance it out and we came down and we hit on two wheels. The

wing was literally three feet from hitting the ground.

“We’re actually pretty lucky to be alive right now, to be honest. We really escaped one. We got away with one last night.”

That didn’t keep players from being terrified.

“There were a bunch of screams,” Pinkston said. “You could hear everyone screaming on the plane. It was pretty real. I screamed, because I was sitting right over
wing. My window was open and I saw the whole thing.”

If you can use the words "roll the dice", "weather", and "flying" together, someone has made a bad choice somewhere. Unless you are flying cargo planes in the arctic, why?

Way too many people, like Buddy Holly, Roberto Clemente and Thurman Munson, agree with you.  The franchise is worth what $600 million? Why risk it?

In other news, all QB's will be fitted for dresses this week after the NFL fined Ahmad Brooks 15.5K for his hit on Brees. . .I know safety is important, but how can anyone hit a QB anymore? It looked bad, but come on. . .

Well, technically he's been fined $7,750.  Ray Lewis has said he's grabbing the other half. 

http://www.patspulpit.com/2013/11/19/5121100/rules-breaking-down-the-final-play   on a patriots site, no less. Only grey area was if it was catchable and that can be debated ad infinitum. Sick of hearing the whining about it on tv and everywhere. (obligatory reference to patriots holding the saints on last play of that game and getting a no call) Go panthers.

FWIW, ESPN's Sportscience guys definitively proved that the ball was catchable without interference.

In other news, all QB's will be fitted for dresses this week after the NFL fined Ahmad Brooks 15.5K for his hit on Brees. . .I know safety is important, but how can anyone hit a QB anymore? It looked bad, but come on. . .

Well, technically he's been fined $7,750.  Ray Lewis has said he's grabbing the other half. 

Not a chance in the world he pays a dime of that fine himself.  I guaran-damn-tee you that his teammates take up a collection and it gets covered for him.  Rightfully so, that fine is absolute BS.

FWIW, ESPN's Sportscience guys definitively proved that the ball was catchable without interference.

I said this to alot of people IRL and it's my honest opinion, if Gronk made more of a play for the ball, instead of standing around begging for a flag, maybe they would have gotten the call.

But they didn't. The better team won. Also, where's the outrage for no call on the Charles Johnson legwhip?

I should be rooting against the Panthers because of the playoff implications, but I just can't help but root for them.  I hate all the "Cam needs to mature" bullshit that's been spouted off over the last few years.  No.  He just needed a fucking defense and some competent play calling.  A couple WRs over 6 ft. tall wouldn't hurt either.

This last offseason was the peak of that nonsense, too.  Every talking head was praising Kap, Wilson and RG3 while downplaying Cam even though Cam is the only one big enough to play that style for more than a year or two.

• Like 1

If you can use the words "roll the dice", "weather", and "flying" together, someone has made a bad choice somewhere. Unless you are flying cargo planes in the arctic, why?

Way too many people, like Buddy Holly, Roberto Clemente and Thurman Munson, agree with you.  The franchise is worth what $600 million? Why risk it?
Itsonly been a year or two since the Locomotiv plane crash.

Gonna be awesome when Megatron leaves in a couple years, watching him win a championship on, oh, I dunno, let's say the Packers.

I think there's a better chance of him just walking away at 30, like a certain former Lion. . .

• Like 1