DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/16/2022 - St. Patrick's Day Slam

32 minutes ago, Pete said:

Do love the outfits in school colors (blue and orange). I'll always remember my folks visiting my dad's friend Alex in Mexico City when I was a toddler just for him bringing back matching father-and-son sombreros... my mom still has them at the house.

And then there's this.

I was just asking questions.

I’m not saying there would’ve been a riot, but there would have been a bunch of metal Bud Light bottles flying. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, JLowe said:

I’m not saying there would’ve been a riot, but there would have been a bunch of metal Bud Light bottles flying. 

They were very purposefully not letting us keep the bottles or cans.  They'd pour the beer into a cup and if it got full you had to shotgun the rest right then and there.  Not that I would ever partake in such debauchery.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

They were very purposefully not letting us keep the bottles or cans.  They'd pour the beer into a cup and if it got full you had to shotgun the rest right then and there.  Not that I would ever partake in such debauchery.

I’m probably going to get a hotel room near the Cedar Park center so I can enjoy some debauchery as well.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

5-7-6? 5-7-6?!?! You DISGUST me, sir.

Haiku checker on poetry.com says it's 5-7-5.

(Be-fore Rosa beats me)

Edited by BrianS81177

12 minutes ago, A_K said:

Britt should have come out dressed up like Floyd Mayweather headed to the De La Hoya fight. No one did heel against Mexican/Latin opponents like mid-00s Floyd.

Visual aid:

Floyd+Mayweather+Jr+Junior+Middleweight+

As I said when Vicente Fernandez died, I want to see a heel American wrestler in Mexico come out to "El Rey." Britt in San Antonio would've been close enough for government work.

• Like 3

finally got to watch Dynamite. hard as hell avoiding spoilers for two days, but it was totally worth it. 

opening trios match was fun. triple moonsaults was crazy!

Hardys return doesn't do much for me, but i was never much of a fan. always liked E&C and the Dudleyz better. Was hoping for a Private Party upset. I'm not their biggest fan, but PP has seemed like nobodies ever since their original upset of the Bucks. 

Jericho segment was fine. Daniel Garcia's pauses were perfect, i was so hoping he would denounce 'sports entertainment', but when he embraced it, i knew it was gold. 

Yuta Wheeler had a star-making performance in a match that he was by far the weakest of the group. nice. Regal on commentary was great.

main event was everything. was going to comment on the lack of selling, but it's fairly obvious they were running short of time, so i can overlook it. Thunder Rosa is life. I have a longer post about Rosa in me, but right now i am too happy to focus on anything else. This coronation was awesome and filled me with joy. Beginning from the mariachi entrance, through the chair and tack callbacks, this was everything i love about AEW. 

On 3/16/2022 at 1:52 PM, Casey said:

You will be sports entertained and you'll like it!

quoting for this bit of preemptive comedy!

9 hours ago, The Natural said:

FODMuZFVcAoo3v1?format=jpg&name=small

FOEwxTDXsAQLHlP?format=jpg&name=medium

winner gets the title, loser gets Cole?

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

Actually counting syllables says it's 6. You even wrote it out that way. Unless you pronounce Rosa as one syllable.

I got a lower grade for a haiku I wrote in grade school because I considered “tumbling” to be three syllables (tumble + ing) while this asshole nun considered it two.  Tum-bling?  What kind of bullshit is that?  How do you add a gerund to a two syllable word and it stays two syllables?  The fact that I remember the specific line in the haiku 40 some years later says something.  No idea what.  But something.  

East Baltimore catholic school education in the 80s, bros.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 1

I only saw the finishing stretch on that Rosa VS Baker match, and I'm sorry, but it was really bad. I get really good vibes of both, they have good charisma and a great look. That said, this match seemed flawed in its concept, rushed and sloppy in execution. Maybe what they did before the final five minutes was good stuff, but it frankly didn't matter with how the ending went. 

For me personally it's a real shame, almost every time I give them a shot because there is something that should be good (or great) imo, it falls way short of my expectations. So far, Punk and MJF as a feud aswell as Cody v Dustin as a match were the exceptions to that pattern. 

I love cage matches, they are simple, good, violent and the logical step to end a feud where the babyface got screwed over time and again. I don't get why you need a hundred chairs and Thumbtacks. I don't get why you don't sell the bumps that look crippling. If you have time restraints, use the ONE chair bump and sell it like death, then finish the match. Whether it's AEW or WWE, all see them screwing up a great and simple concept all the time and I just can't be arsed anymore. 

On 3/18/2022 at 3:03 PM, The Natural said:

Yeah, time management still needs working on. That's why AEW was right to open up with Omega/Danielson and Page/Danielson I on AEW Dynamite. Things going too long or too short, normally it's the former. I wish AEW would stay with the post match longer, it's more prevalent on AEW PPVs.

To go with:

Limit the blood. Less is more. Stands out when you do.

Limit the thumbtacks. Less is more. Stands out when you do.

I was fine with both here. Blood and a steel cage go hand in hand with exception of WWE. Thumbtacks as a callback to their famous Lights Out match a year earlier.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

On 3/17/2022 at 6:44 AM, (BP) said:

PVZ’s husband has what I’d best describe as Federline Heat.  

God thats exactly what I thought.

I loved how chaotic and violent the cage match felt. Compare that to the WWE cage matches with their same old kendo stick and trash can spots. Turns out doing the title change here instead of at the PPV was the right call.

There was a beautiful wide angle shot of Jeff Hardy on the top rope that was held for a bit. the type of thing you just don't see in WWE anymore

Regal was great on commentary really was able to put over all four wrestlers in the match, also this was a good episode for putting some shine on AEW blue chip prospects. Hobb/Starks, Wardlow, Yuta, Daniel Garcia, and the acclaimed all got some shine.

Say what you will about Jericho and not all his shit works or lands (see GFY) but he really is a master or reinvention. Always willing to commit to putting a new spin on his act. This one is working

Edited by zendragon
  • Like 6

On 3/17/2022 at 8:05 AM, Pete said:

Not enough love for Rosa's Thunder Fire power bomb. Onita would be proud.

Also, no one else caught Dustin hitting the ring to congratulate her afterwards? What's the story there?

I believe Dustin has had a hand in training/agenting a lot of the women's matches. 

Also count me among the people who think there's a years worth of fun Hardy match ups out there

• Like 4