DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/16/2022 - St. Patrick's Day Slam

10 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

I didn't read the whole 9 pages so I apologize if it's been mentioned but the lack of selling in the main event totally ruined it for me.  Sure they had some  good spots but the selling (especially Baker's) was not good.  Before anyone says otherwise please go back and re-watch the match and I am sure you will agree.

Yeah, it was pretty obvious they were feeling the time crunch and maybe overreacted a bit.  It was really glaring when Britt took that death bump onto that mountain of chairs and was on the floor getting the tacks a minute later.  This match would have greatly benefited from going on first/early like the last two men's title matches, but they couldn't have because of the cage.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

They were missing about 11 more black wrestlers on their roster if those two segments included "all the black guys". Come on dude, don't generalize like that.

Right, and if the argument is "they're spinning their wheels," well that's just the definition of "midcard," pretty much.  Unless a midcarder is actively booked to be on the rise to a main title program (like Cole when he came in), AEW just kinda keeps guys spinning on the metal rollers under the heat lamp, like a quarter pound Big Bite at 3am, until they need them.  But I like that about AEW.  Keep wrestlers visible enough but not on TV trading meaningless wins every week, make wins matter, and you can heat somebody right up, no biggie.  I mean come on.  Wheeler Yuta has been on JTTS duty forever but then he's put in a angle with Regal's boys and the crowd is chanting his name.  That's awesome.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

OK lets forget the race part because that was a dumb comment in hindsight. I would still argue these guys are being under-utilised for one reason or another. At this point 'mid-card' is probably a bit rich for Starks and Hobbs who have had maybe 1 meaningful win in their AEW careers each (ok maybe 2 for Starks, both over Brian Cage last year). They are the guys they have dudes feud with when they have nothing better for them, and the paint by numbers 'interview interrupted' formula isn't helping create any steam. The Acclaimed have grown a lot but still seem to be in the same place they were last year. Keith Lee is one of the few guys I think most people felt should have a rocket strapped to him on arrival and he's already Just Another Guy. Now granted AEW have a track record of bringing guys in, cooling them off, then getting them hot again once they've got their feet under the table so I'm sure he will be dandy long-term, but it still feels like a missed opportunity to be doing more with him and everyone else in this bundle.

Now if you had Starks in Sky's spot or Team Taz climbing the tag ranks or the Acclaimed getting into a hot non-title program or Keith being paired against a Miro or one of the major stars that would be all gravy.

That's all fine, but I'll counterpoint by saying they only have two titles per division, they don't change them that often, and they only have four PPVs.  Most of their wrestlers are in holding patterns until they're needed.  You can't look at it as "if a guy isn't fighting for the world title then he's being underutilized."  The real way to see it is, "is he a featured act and at least winning matches?"  Lee's not Just Another Guy.  He's currently an upper mid carder who beats lower mid carders until they have a title program for him.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You don't need to be in title matches or on PPV to be important. One thing AEW does very well is making the week to week Dynamite main events feel like big deals. How long will it be until Lee main events a Dynamite? The 'holding pattern' mindset is something I don't agree with, especially if you are going to run only 4 PPVs a year. The time in between needs to be worthwhile too (and for the most part it is in AEW). And that doesn't have to be anything too difficult, just make this existing feud with Starks and Hobbs into something with more juice than 'guys interrupt each others interviews', build to a gimmick match or something, then blow it off on a TV main event. Maybe they'll do that in 2 weeks and I'll eat my words, but the last couple weeks it feels like they've put the bare minimum effort into these guys.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Exactly, you get it. Although, tbh, I didn't think they looked all that bad, it was the usual Hardys match just a half step slower, crowd still went wild for the hits.

The Hardy's run is anywhere as good as Sting's in AEW it will be great. Sting in AEW, along with Tony Schiavone on the mic and having fun in wrestling are two of my absolute guilty pleasures. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, chriskbrown50 said:

The Hardy's run is anywhere as good as Sting's in AEW it will be great. Sting in AEW, along with Tony Schiavone on the mic and having fun in wrestling are two of my absolute guilty pleasures. 

Darby & Sting really need another younger guy to occasionally spice up the dynamic. All old guys + Darby could end up being good. But as you saw at the PPV, plugging in another fresh body helps a lot.

On 3/16/2022 at 9:12 PM, Infinit said:

Great fucking show!

The 6 man was mad fun but by the end of the show I kind of forgot about it lol.

I can totally get behind "Regal as Inoki" with the respect slaps

God, Jericho and the crew are gonna get so much HEAT as sportz entertainers in AEW lol

It makes me so happy to see the Hardys back together.

Looking forward to seeing Wardlow eventually powerbomb MJF straight to hell. That's gonna be GLORIOUS.

Main event was spectacular...Britt and Thunder make magic in these brawls. So happy for Rosa. The ending seemed rushed though...they were definitely up against the clock. That crowd really added to the match too. 

Another magnificent 2 hours of pro wres. Thank you AEW! 

That main event needed about 5 minutes, which they could have taken from the JAS segment to make that tighter and more effective.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, JLowe said:

That main event needed about 5 minutes, which they could have taken from the JAS segment to make that tighter and more effective.

Yeah, time management still needs working on. That's why AEW was right to open up with Omega/Danielson and Page/Danielson I on AEW Dynamite. Things going too long or too short, normally it's the former. I wish AEW would stay with the post match longer, it's more prevalent on AEW PPVs.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2022 at 10:29 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Oh, he landed on his back alright, but apparently he can't land on his hips or ass anymore.

Okay here is the question we had in the Discord chat. Was the band that introduced Rosa (which was AWESOME btw) a Norteno/Nortena band? They didn't have an accordion so probably not. Was it Texano, especially given her background? Was it just mariachi? Enquiring minds want to know. 

And one of the Acclaimed dudes saying about Swerve "Isn't he a rapper?" was a perfect diss, especially from a bad rapper. 

That was mariachi and it was fucking awesome. Mariachi is HUGE in San Antonio, UT-San Antonio has a mariachi program including a mariachi band and their own mariachi song.

(This is not the actual song).

That was the perfect entrance for Rosa in her hometown, although I wish they had been mic’ed better. Then Rosa with the fancy sombrero and mariachi jacket, that got a hot crowd to the boiling point. Honestly, a Selena song might have been overkill.

So, I mentioned how my hotel cable went out, ironically it was right after Britt said “send in a fucking ref” and I thought it was meant as a brief censorship thing but then it lasted and I turned to other channels. Still. I was almost in tears when I finally saw the ending and the celebration last night. Talk all the shit you want about La Mera Mera, she goes all out and clearly loves what she’s doing. I also wondered what the connection was with Dustin, other than Texas.

I also honestly expected for either Hayter or Rebel to crawl out from under the ring.

Really loved the show, although it’s going to take a little more to sell me on Wheeler Yuta as a future badass. First of all, they need to get him wearing wrestling boots.

The JAS thing is clever but needed to be much shorter (although I suppose having a never-ending talk segment is peak sports entertainment). Garcia doesn’t belong at all.

Hangman was great, the triple moonsault was great (especially when they got the angle right on replay).

Half-speed, sloppy Hardyz can have a few weeks of crowd love and t-shirt sales before they start putting over younger teams.

I personally thought the Wardlow-Sky segment worked really well to put across Sky as an undeserving heel champion, and advance Wardlow’s feud with MJF and Spears. The announcers really put over the fact that Wardlow’s time as MJF’s enforcer hasn’t won him any friends in the locker room, so he’s on his own right now.

Looking forward to next week live, even though I have no idea what to expect. Definitely excited to celebrate Thunder Rosa’s debut as the champion, although I’m only expecting a promo leading to an angle.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

watching the Rosa / Britt match live in the arena, the ending seemed like they were going for a war of attrition type deal, where they were just throwing stuff at each other, not really playing defense or trying to let the other know that they're hurting.  I think the finish was powerbomb on tacks, Britt rolls out of the ring, super sloppy chairshot, rolls Rosa back in, Rosa kick to the gut, fire thunder driver, pin.  Maybe the wrong allusion, but it reminded me of the Low-KI v. Samoa Joe fight without honor, just throwing bombs until one person just stayed down. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

This is the wrestling business. Not the t-shirt business. T-shirts are a drop in the bucket. T-shirts aren't going to get AEW a bigger deal from Warner/Discovery. You want t-shirts, cash in your Hot Cash at Hot Topic. 

I can't exactly say this is a wrong statement, but man what a fucking terrible world view to have lol. Let some joy in brother.

18 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Also you're wrong. some select people drew numbers in TNA. AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, handful of other guys sold money, PPVs, drew solid TV numbers, and moved tickets. 

No. What? No. You're conflating good workers with drawing well. The highest ever sold TNA PPV was 45,000 buys with the Angle Joe MMA Lockdown Match. If you think 1/2 of WWE's lowest PPV ever or doing 1/4 of the average AEW buys is good, you're wrong.

TV did good by today's standards on Spike. Slightly above what AEW does now. But the TV landscape was much different. What they got was 20% of what WWE was getting at the time. So no, that wasn't good in context.

Moved tickets in what sense? The PPVs on the road would do about 3,000 -4,000 tickets. Is that good? How many of those 3,000 - 4,000 were papered? I sense a good deal of it. Because house shows did about 800-1000 in that era. So that shows about what they can sell without the paper. Is that good? No.

TNA was doing the best they could. Their backbone was built on a carny Memphis mentality. They over achieved while simultaneously coming up way short of what they should have achieved. Don't let a fondness of the memories cloud the truth of their history. AEW has surpassed them in every possible metric and it's not even close.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Oh shit I just realized Team Taz of course has their own young gun in Hook. Regal’s Sith Lords vs Hobbs and Starks? All of this leading to Garcia/Yuta/Moriarty/Hook as Pillars 2.0?

If (when!) Hook enters the orbit of the Regal faction the crowd (and myself) are going to lose their shit! All it’s going to take is like Regal and Hook giving each other a look. 

• Like 2

As for The Hardys quarter hour rating, who gives a fuck lol. If there are 4 or 5 episodes in a row where The Hardy's match dips, and the matches are placed in different quarter hours, sure then decry them a failure or whatever. This is one episode. With a match against a cold team with minimal story. It's a bad quarter hour but maybe people checked out because they didn't care about The Hardys vs Private Party? It's far too soon to start taking a victory lap on your hatred of The Hardys.

5 minutes ago, Log said:

If (when!) Hook enters the orbit of the Regal faction the crowd (and myself) are going to lose their shit! All it’s going to take is like Regal and Hook giving each other a look. 

I’m the asshole who would want Danielson or Regal to stretch him just a bit...

• Like 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I wish people could like or dislike the things they like or dislike without having to cite ratings or merchandise sales as a justification.

You could just like a thing. Or dislike a thing. You do you, boo.

1 minute ago, JLowe said:

I’m the asshole who would want Danielson or Regal to stretch him just a bit...

Oh, I’d love to see him vs Danielson with Hook trying all the stuff he usually hits easily getting stuffed by Dragon. 

Unfortunately, if you listened to Regal on Jericho’s podcast, you’d know he’s not going to be doing anything more physical than those slaps. Honestly, I’d call his story harrowing. It’s amazing he’s alive and walking upright, let alone climbing in a ring. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Wasn’t there a huge upset happening in the NCAA tournament during Dynamite? That could explain that huge 15 minute crater.

No. There were only play-in games on Wednesday. 

4 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I wish people could like or dislike the things they like or dislike without having to cite ratings or merchandise sales as a justification.

You could just like a thing. Or dislike a thing. You do you, boo.

I wish there was a feature on this board that would allow me to mute any posts about ratings. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JLowe said:

That was mariachi and it was fucking awesome. Mariachi is HUGE in San Antonio, UT-San Antonio has a mariachi program including a mariachi band and their own mariachi song.

(This is not the actual song).

That was the perfect entrance for Rosa in her hometown, although I wish they had been mic’ed better. Then Rosa with the fancy sombrero and mariachi jacket, that got a hot crowd to the boiling point. Honestly, a Selena song might have been overkill.

Do love the outfits in school colors (blue and orange). I'll always remember my folks visiting my dad's friend Alex in Mexico City when I was a toddler just for him bringing back matching father-and-son sombreros... my mom still has them at the house.

And then there's this.

I was just asking questions.

• Like 1