DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/16/2022 - St. Patrick's Day Slam

Fun show as pretty much always with a great crowd. My random thoughts as usual:

The crowd was super hot for that opener which was extremely enjoyable. Holy shit I popped HUGE for that Triple Moonsault and Double Doomsday Device, I clapped my hands in real life which you know means its good stuff.

“u kno all bout da spinebustah bebe”. I love smooth af Hobbs.

I guess Bryan and Mox are a face team? But they have to be one of the most vicious face teams ever. It’s a very grey area and I love it. Yuta’s new edge works and he and Chuckie looked great against the two superstars.

appreciate we are getting more and more Ricky Starks sprinkled during the shows lately. More please.

Didn’t care much for Jericho’s segment. Only thing I remember is that Jericho is looking in awesome shape.

Surreal seeing The Hardys making their entrance with their classic music in AEW. I had not seen Jeff in a long time, he doesn't look bad per se but his face shows that he's in CONSTANT pain no matter what he's doing, I felt every wince on his face. It was during this match that I noticed how freaking tiny the ring looked, weird.

LMAO at Marc Quen's random front roll before trying to get Jeff off the top rope, "Parkour!".

Crazy that both Hardys are older than Michael Hayes was when he managed them.

The main event was good althought not as good as the original, but I love a good real emotional reaction when winning titles, you cant beat those. Was that the first ref bump in AEW? I can’t remember any other.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Quick little response to the whole "nO wAy ThEy'D hAvE ScoRpiO LoSe" rants. Seemed to be a way to add even more steam to Wardlow. He wins a title. He takes the dude's streak (he's undefeated for a year or whatever). It all seemed like it was done to strap a rocket to Wardlow. And if you'd have paid attention to how TK handled the Big Swole thing, he doesn't buy into the people of color issues. We do and it's a fair talking point. But he's an ostrich on this one and just kind of buried his head and said he himself is a minority so it's a non issue. So mayyybeee chill on the indignation here? K thanks guy.

No rants (my statement in full was: "Given the diversity furore on Twitter, Wardlow will not be winning the title next week. A 1 week humiliation reign is not going to happen here"). I just state observations that usually come through or else I wouldn't post them (e.g. Cody to be an inevitability to be bounced from the company). You chose to quote one of my posts to say you'd resurface it, not me. I do appreciate your wider post and don't want to labor the point but just to highlight this element as I think it does merit discussion:

RE: Khan - I think you misunderstand him. The guy is a P/E guy from a corporate background/upbringing. He also has media shareholders to satisfy. While he will not have publicly come out in recognition of that point (and I myself as I have said before think it was a baseless accusation, and that he was right to defend as he did), they will 100% factor it into future decision making. For a very PC core fanbase, the last thing they want was for that accusation to fester. Having Scorpio Sky lose to a huge white dude from Ohio a week after taking the belt was never going to happen. You need to look past the carnyness at times and realise it is still a business after all (and TK is a highly commercial person) and this will affect decision making. Ultimately Wardlow simply shouldn't have won the ladder match (Lee probably should have .. that feud with Hobbs is going to be an unproductive one for those two as well .. and Lee probably should have taken the TV title given they already have a host of underdog champions. They're in a bit of a bind now with their title programming, and I expect ratings to suffer somewhat in the near-term tbh).

Edited by A_K

Damn, that was a hot crowd last night.  I mean, when the band started on Rosa's entrance, they nearly blew the roof of the place!

If I only got the Mox/Danielson/Regal shit every week, I'd still be happy.

The Hardyz looked like the damn Skyscrapers in that little ring.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, A_K said:

Ultimately Wardlow simply shouldn't have won the ladder match (Lee probably should have .. that feud with Hobbs is going to be an unproductive one for those two as well .. and Lee probably should have taken the TV title given they already have a host of underdog champions. They're in a bit of a bind now with their title programming, and I expect ratings to suffer somewhat in the near-term tbh).

I very much agree with this point. If the plan wasn't to get Wardlow the win, then the ladder match win seems out of place. I understand the grander point you bring up having Scorpio lose after a week long title reign. (And as seen by the reaction to Brock beating champions of color I agree it would receive that kind of attention). But I was looking at it purely from the boosting Wardlow perspective. Him beating Sammy would split the crowd. Him beating an annoying heel that doesn't have cool heat, who also has this long streak, is a good idea. I was picturing Warrior squashing Honky Tony. Honky held the title forever so not totally apples to apples. But the reaction would be similar from the live audience. But when factoring in being under the microscope about diversity and the optics of how that would play out, I get it.

But yeah total head scratcher. If you wanted a heel performer of color to get the TNT title I think Hobbs winning the ladder match and beating Sammy would have been much more productive. His feud with Lee now would have some real purpose. And then you don't get into Wardlow being derailed.

I think we actually agree on this more than disagree. I was just a dipshit being so bull headed about how I thought the Wardlow win would play out lol.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blue Dragon said:

993,000 viewers P18-49: 0.38 (496,000). Viewers went up, the demo went down. Ranked number 6.

SO CLOSE!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

__________ is overrated as a draw. He didn't draw shit in TNA. 

Fixed that for ya. Put anyone's name in there. Still true. Because no one drew for TNA. Because TNA was TNA. So it's not fair to indite someone over not getting them over the hump. They had a Hulk Hogan debut, nWo runion, RVD, Ric Flair, & Jeff Hardy all show up on the SAME NIGHT and it popped exactly one decent number before everyone was like nah this sow sucks. (Not a shot at any talent. That's a shot at how it was ran and promoted as a brand).

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

No one cares about Jeff Hardy in AEW either. His debut got a minor spike in the ratings, but that's about it. No one cares about an over-the-hill Hardys reunion act in AEW. Just slapping them back together again with their old WWE music isn't enough to create magic. 

8 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

No one cares about Jeff Hardy in AEW either. His debut got a minor spike in the ratings, but that's about it. No one cares about an over-the-hill Hardys reunion act in AEW. Just slapping them back together again with their old WWE music isn't enough to create magic. 

The Hardyz and, separately, Jeff Hardy have top selling shirts in the AEW shop, so you are objectively incorrect. It's fine if YOU don't care about them, but your opinion isn't universal fact, homie. Ratings aren't the end-all be-all, either. 

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

The Hardyz and, separately, Jeff Hardy have top selling shirts in the AEW shop, so you are objectively incorrect. It's fine if YOU don't care about them, but your opinion isn't universal fact, homie. Ratings aren't the end-all be-all, either. 

This is the wrestling business. Not the t-shirt business. T-shirts are a drop in the bucket. T-shirts aren't going to get AEW a bigger deal from Warner/Discovery. You want t-shirts, cash in your Hot Cash at Hot Topic. 

46 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Fixed that for ya. Put anyone's name in there. Still true. Because no one drew for TNA. Because TNA was TNA. So it's not fair to indite someone over not getting them over the hump. They had a Hulk Hogan debut, nWo runion, RVD, Ric Flair, & Jeff Hardy all show up on the SAME NIGHT and it popped exactly one decent number before everyone was like nah this sow sucks. (Not a shot at any talent. That's a shot at how it was ran and promoted as a brand).

Also you're wrong. some select people drew numbers in TNA. AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, handful of other guys sold money, PPVs, drew solid TV numbers, and moved tickets. 

7 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

This is the wrestling business. Not the t-shirt business. T-shirts are a drop in the bucket. T-shirts aren't going to get AEW a bigger deal from Warner/Discovery. You want t-shirts, cash in your Hot Cash at Hot Topic. 

Thank you for the lesson in What Actually Matters In The Biz, clearly you're the ultimate authority.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Matt Hardy's hairline is certainly getting deleted. Dressing him up in his late 90s New Brood / early 00s HBoys outfit is a little questionable .. but I guess black is slimming. Overall its a fun novelty (the music esp. conjures a lot of memories) but that's where it should stop. I'm not sure there have ever been nostalgia-tag teams that draw really .. these things tend to fall a little flat. While its an inherently self-referential industry .. the business as a whole seems weakest when its focused on looking back rather than forward (WWE/F always at its height with a young new star at the front of the product for example .. TNA fell flat on its face with its host of old stars etc.).

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

Did anyone mention the "The best there is" part of the FTR promo? Foreshadowing a Bret return?

Also yes, Jericho is in great shape, looks like he's on the special TRT diet Christian and Edge got on before their returns, more power to them.

• Like 6

I actually think the Hardys are a step ahead here.

The commentary all match was about how this is classic stuff, it's nostalgia but that it's predictable and good teams will see these moves and combos coming. Matt's always been about the evolution of his personality so I wont be shocked if, in a couple of months, the Hardys are completely reinvented with a new look, new music and new moves for one more run at the top of the tag rankings.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, A_K said:

Matt Hardy's hairline is certainly getting deleted. Dressing him up in his late 90s New Brood / early 00s HBoys outfit is a little questionable .. but I guess black is slimming. Overall its a fun novelty (the music esp. conjures a lot of memories) but that's where it should stop. I'm not sure there have ever been nostalgia-tag teams that draw really .. these things tend to fall a little flat. While its an inherently self-referential industry .. the business as a whole seems weakest when its focused on looking back rather than forward (WWE/F always at its height with a young new star at the front of the product for example .. TNA fell flat on its face with its host of old stars etc.).

I actually thought transitioning Hardy into more of a manager, part-time worker was a good role for him all things considered for him. 

I think Tony Khan and Dave Meltzer highly over-estimated the value of having a Hardys reunion run in AEW. Plus, The Hardy Boyz already had their two kind of feel good reunion runs in the last two decades already.