DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/16/2022 - St. Patrick's Day Slam

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

That was me, but I stole it from Impact's commentary team (it was their description of Zicky Dice).

Impact does have the best possible commentary team.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Horatio said:

Devon? You mean Devon Dudley? Devon Dudley in his Brother Devon the Preacher stage? That worked? 

Is there some other Devon I don't know about? Was Brock Lesnar's run that year a success because he was able to plow through "gatekeeper" Bubba?

Batista over Triple H worked for a variety of reasons. How about years of Triple H being greedy with the belt? Batista couldn't have gone over just anyone for the title and still charmed his way into a permanent main-event stay. He got face pops the moment he rolled over Benoit on an inevitable climb towards the top, but the Triple H feud making more sense than anything since Brock Lesnar is why that feud worked.

But hey, I don't remember Devon(who?) leading Deacon Batista to anything but an extended vacation until he switched brands and showed up with Evolution, so maybe I don't know how to watch wrestling, but you've got some mechanical theories on how a wrestling show needs to be booked. 

Maybe you should have listened to what Wardlow actually said last week instead of timing it and complaining about the presentation. I haven't cast my vote in favor of the promo yet, but I thought it was great. It was drug-free Crush. If you can't appreciate a drug-free Crush promo in 2022, well, then wholesome may not be for you.

I listened to Wardlow last week. Like I said, it was too long, and the first part was Tito Ortiz levels of awkwardness. 

Yes, the Devon angle worked: while “presentation” / tackiness of gimmick was variable, functionally within 6 months Batista had debuted in the company, gone through the low card “hired muscle” stage, and gone over Devon and was established in mid card. All within 6 months. Then he was in Evolution by month 8 and the rest was history. That was the function of the angle - It did the job it needed to do to facilitate him moving on to higher stakes via a gatekeeper talent. That was the purpose. 

MJF isn’t (or shouldn’t be) a gatekeeper talent - but that’s what he’ll be as a stepping stone at the very beginning of the Wardlow journey (and he is at the beginning, as he has no big singles bout wins but numerous big single bout losses - the ladder gimmick match being biggest win). The sequencing here is all off. MJF has lost two consecutive intensely long feuds. A third and his machination character that they have built (to great effect) simply looks stupid. The two could have split and be kept apart while Wardlow built integrity of independent-singles-star with some strong wins, MJF re-legitimised his Machiavellian character after being made a fool of by hired hand and then they come together with serious stakes. This isn’t going to work for either. 

@SirFozzie - no “wah” here - I’m simply telling you how this is going to go. The angle will fall flat and the enduring outcomes will not be beneficial. Quote me when I’m wrong. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Picture this : Thunder Rosa gives her championship win promo next week.

"MY DAD IS A GENTLEMAN!" hits and Legit Leyla Hirsch beats her down, takes the title and joins Team Taz. 

Money! 

Her stature/style does remind one of Taz, but it's a bit trickier to see how she fits alongside Starks, Hobbs and Hook.  Can we settle with a team of ppl accompanying her in matching windbreakers and the return of heel referee turned manager Bill Alfonso, 'daddy!'!?!  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

Not enough love for Rosa's Thunder Fire power bomb. Onita would be proud.

Also, no one else caught Dustin hitting the ring to congratulate her afterwards? What's the story there?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Austin Vanderford

It's either Florida Man or he's a trust fund kid. Heir to the Vanderford dynasty. "My dad owns a dealership!"

Watched the rest of the open. The six-man was a fine spotfest, actually got a rise outta me with the triple moonsault and Page going Cesaro on everybody. Meanwhile you can give me Moxielson murdering people every week, just inject it right into my carotid artery. Wheeler going "please sir may I have another" deserved the chants, and he looks like a young Keiji Mutoh with the beard. Chuckie even pulled off a slick hiptoss counter! 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

A Britt Baker haiku:

Send another ref
Send another ref
Get in the fucking cage

Not how haikus work

5-7-5 structure please

My work is done here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Why was Matt Lee dressed like it's 1998 and he's auditioning for the I Want It That Way video?  TELL ME WHY!

*Dad Magic* "he didn't like it at the time, but he's coming around..."

That, and sex. He probably got laid for the first time last night. I think they all got laid for the first time last night. Except it wasn't Jericho's first time, and Jake Hager is obviously still taking a pass, but last night was a big night for those five.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Good show, awesome ending. One thing that really stood out to me was they went with their tiny ring for this show. I think this probably their smallest ring they've ever used. I'm not sure if that's because they wanted a "cell" effect for the cage match or if the footprint for the ring and ringside area in that arena is just that small. I mean, it felt smaller than a WCW ring.

One of the things that kinda bugs me about AEW is that they're never using a standard sized ring. I definitely prefer the larger, nearly WWE sized ring.

And I don't know what to think about the JAS segment. Doing a shooty "we're sports entertainers, not wrestlers" gimmick is cheap heat and beyond just saying that, I don't know how you pull that off because ultimately, these dudes are still going to be wrestling. Not only that, but Garcia is one of the most pro wrestling dudes in the whole company. I can't buy that guy saying he's a sports entertainer. I can buy him saying that he may not win a fight, but he's for sure going to fuck you up and ruin your week.

Wardlow vs Scorp was pretty flat for me. Scorp himself is a guy that is just a charisma vacuum, but it doesn't feel like he should be a charisma vacuum. He was at his height doing the SCU stuff. Now his gimmick is that he's a pretty good wrestler? I mean, we talk about Shawn Spears looking lost gimmick wise, but now you have Scorp who keeps ping ponging from one gimmick to the next. With his entrance music and all that it feels like he's ditched the Men of the Year stuff, which wasn't great, but it was at least better than what he's doing now. As for the match, I was waiting the whole time for MJF to interfere and then that segment felt like it lasted forever.

Loved the stuff with Wheeler Yuta at the end of the tag match. That slap from Regal. Hoo boy. That had some mustard on it. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Horatio said:

*Dad Magic* "he didn't like it at the time, but he's coming around..."

That, and sex. He probably got laid for the first time last night. I think they all got laid for the first time last night. Except it wasn't Jericho's first time, and Jake Hager is obviously still taking a pass, but last night was a big night for those five.

Doesn't/Didn't Jeff (Angelo) Parker date/used to date someone from NXT or something?  I just have a memory of seeing who he was dating and thinking he was doing well for himself.

Had fun last night.  Thunder Rosa v. Britt obviously being the highlight.  Venue looked legit sold out.  Rampage was fun but inconsequential.  Our third AEW show in a third city.  Got home pretty late, so I think our chances of going to the Austin show are pretty low.  Surprised they really didn't build to anything next week besides

Spoiler

Hardy Men / Darby / Sting v. Private Party / Butcher and Blade (they did Butcher v. Darby on Rampage that ended in a count out victory and then everybody showed up and they announced this for next Wednesday.  Also Keith Lee v. Max Caster, leading to a Hobbs / Starks run-in leading to a Swerve save.  Best part was Max referring to Keith Lee as a King Henry the 8th talking motherfucker or something like that.  Oh and Leyla Hirsch v. Red Velvet. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Log said:

Doesn't/Didn't Jeff (Angelo) Parker date/used to date someone from NXT or something?  I just have a memory of seeing who he was dating and thinking he was doing well for himself.

I'm pretty sure they're both married.

Maybe they used a smaller ring because they didn't want to make a bigger cage?

And correct me if I'm wrong (I may have missed something), but is the first time they didn't announce matches for next week's show?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

The cheapest heat on the show was Paige VanZant and her husband kissing and then teasing Wardlow powerbombing the shit out of him and not doing it.  That dude is the biggest heel in the company and I don't think anyone is anywhere close.  Every time he's on screen I am overcome with irrational hatred.  I don't think it's possible to not like someone I've never met more than I dislike him. Everything about him from his stupid dyed hair to the world's worst tattoo makes me want to see him get his ass kicked.

Oh boy, do I have great news for you. This happened less than a month ago.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, The Natural said:

The new AEW Women's World Champion, Thunder Rosa reacts.

She got all stitched up, washed/dried her outfit and redid her facepaint just for that first publicity photo as champion. Impressive!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Wardlow didn’t do a Tito Ortiz promo. He never once said he only lost because he was injured in training, and he didn’t get booed for dedicating  the match to the overseas troops defending American Freedom ~!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, A_K said:

@NoFistsJustFlips — Hey yo. Quote me.

New phone who dis? Nah I will eat that L like a man lol. I also promise not to blow up every thread claiming it's still gonna happen like Flair's Shadow ha.

-I kind of don't like how it played out. Sure they got their heat on Wardlow. But some people should be above the gang beat downs. If you treat the unbeatable monster like everyone else he loses his aura. So I would have preferred if they were going to screw him they did something a little more creative / less group beat down-y. So now Wardlow eventually gets to MJF and either beats him (which doesn't actually do all that much for him) or MJF finds a way to beat Wardlow (and that hurts his aura even more). I'll let it play out but feel like they biffed it here.

Quick little response to the whole "nO wAy ThEy'D hAvE ScoRpiO LoSe" rants. Seemed to be a way to add even more steam to Wardlow. He wins a title. He takes the dude's streak (he's undefeated for a year or whatever). It all seemed like it was done to strap a rocket to Wardlow. And if you'd have paid attention to how TK handled the Big Swole thing, he doesn't buy into the people of color issues. We do and it's a fair talking point. But he's an ostrich on this one and just kind of buried his head and said he himself is a minority so it's a non issue. So mayyybeee chill on the indignation here? K thanks guy.

-Funny little side note on Garcia. I saw his trainer ask him why not change his name to Dante Rios (the name WWE gave him when he did enhancement work on NXT a few times in 2020). And he pointed out WWE actually trademarked that name. Which is just so odd. Did WWE want to offer him a deal? Did they actually think his enhancement name was a legitimate option to take with him? Just weird man.

-Cage match had some good spots but didn't quite click enough to hit that higher level. What's up with AEW's cage being bigger? For both the Wardlow / Cody and Bucks / Lucha Bros matches there was not enough room to get out of the cage. Did they specifically extend it just so they could get plunder from under the ring? Odd choice. On first look I actually thought they were using an 18' ring for the night vs the normal 20' they always use. I mean in a way it's actually kind of cool. They went to TK and said hey we'd like to be able to do this in the cage match, and dude had the team add extensions in to make it happen. Picture Vince ever doing something like that. Yeah right lol.

But if you look on a few of the cage segments they had little 8 inch pieces of metal welded in between the panels. That's how you can tell it was changed. It never had those before. And pretty sure it was done specifically to let them get weapons from under the ring. Because their big lights out match was entirely based on that.

Edited by NoFistsJustFlips
  • Like 1

Ring did definitely look smaller just by looking at how large the ringside area was. @NoFistsJustFlips theory that it was to bring in plunder might be true.

I’ve always been a pro small ring guy. Smaller ring means guys look quicker, and faster paced tag matches. More dangerous spots, and guys needing to suspend disbelief when reaching for the ropes is the negative trade off.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1