DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/16/2022 - St. Patrick's Day Slam

6 minutes ago, ka-to said:

I guess that that kind of started it. To me it was Bryan against someone. This is part two of me getting to like him.

Maybe you saw him wrestle Punk in October? Might have noticed 2.0 wrestling Sting and Darby in Sting's first match on TNT since WCW closed?

• Like 1

Jericho's got some of the blandest, most unappealing dudes in wrestling history surrounding him and it turned out to be one of the best in-ring promo segments I can remember. Garcia did the unthinkable tonight. Lenard is wrestlecrap ridiculous in his intensity on the mic and his partner is finally looking less like a paper cutout of a wrestler.  I really think Hager is cool if not a consistently awesome wrestler, but they even got the guy with the lisp to say "J.A.S." and it really seemed like a revolutionary pro-vanilla moment in wrestling history. 

The backstage stuff with FTR/Bucks and Jade Cargill were good, too.

3 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

Maybe you saw him wrestle Punk in October? Might have noticed 2.0 wrestling Sting and Darby in Sting's first match on TNT since WCW closed?

I'm sure I saw him wrestle Punk. Saying 2.0 is probably why I said this. I know that there is a 2.0 team, but don't know their names.

13 minutes ago, Horatio said:

Lambert wearing that big old belt looked hilarious on his old man frame. 

Oh man, the two funniest moments of the last week was Ethan Page crying after Scorpio Sky won the TNT title and then Dan Lambert wearing the other belt to the ring.  I laughed like a maniac,

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

As noted last week, it is not possible for Scorpio Sky to drop the title in short order after the diversity row on Twitter.

Separately, you heard it here first that they have blown the Wardlow/MJF feud. There are no stakes, and after the intense & lengthy CM Punk program this was not the one to run. It is also going to present problems for the mid-term representation of both talents.

8 minutes ago, A_K said:

As noted last week, it is not possible for Scorpio Sky to drop the title in short order after the diversity row on Twitter.

Separately, you heard it here first that they have blown the Wardlow/MJF feud. There are no stakes, and after the intense & lengthy CM Punk program this was not the one to run. It is also going to present problems for the mid-term representation of both talents.

It's not necessary for Scorpio to drop the title. I can't remember the last time someone was so competent for pulling off 'undeserving champ' and with the company he keeps, it could go on for a long time before it really starts to irk people.

And Wardlow doesn't need a belt to be over, no way. The program tonight was great and seemed to go over very well. He and Max have history, they need no stakes.

• Like 3

Just now, Horatio said:

It's not necessary for Scorpio to drop the title. I can't remember the last time someone was so competent for pulling off 'undeserving champ' and with the company he keeps, it could go on for a long time before it really starts to irk people.

And Wardlow doesn't need a belt to be over, no way. The program tonight was great and seemed to go over very well. He and Max have history, they need no stakes.

Yes they do need stakes. Batista over Devon worked because Devon was a gatekeeper. Batista over Triple H worked because it was for the title. This is completely the wrong time. MJF lost blow off matches vs Jericho & Punk. He loses this one too (eventually). That completely cools him for any title run, and he shouldn’t be a gate keeper either. Wardlow out there last week talking like Tito Ortiz (keep him away from 90 s + promos). AEW frequently has a pit fall of bad planning still, and this is very bad planning. They had to keep these two away from each other for now. You can quote me like the other guy when this falls flat of expectations later on. 

Separately no, we now have 3 out of 5 “underdog champions” (4 if Hangman is still considered to court “underdog” status). That is too many. The title presentations have become too lopsided.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

EDIT: Oh, and the one person who didn't go by their real name? Chris Jericho. 

That's a great point!

Probably, a lot of people don't know that his real name is Mongoose McQueen

I don't want to shock anybody and I'm not trying to be controversial, but in my opinion AEW has been on quite a roll recently.

I like how we got fast exciting big spot action in the opener, hard hitting technical violence in the tag match, power wrestling and shenanigans with the TNT Angle Advancement match, real talk mixed with high comedy from Jericho, then I had to go get my Pfizer shot but I'm assuming at least some blood and violence in the cage match. Nice buffet there. Something for everyone.

EDIT: and I didn't realize, or maybe I forgot, that Garcia was the guy who got into the accident that Jericho helped out.

Glad I got to see most of the show before getting vaxxed, as I wasn't able to avoid spoilers this time. Forgot to turn chat notifications off.

A Sports Entertainment faction has potential to be hellaciously entertaining! Some good ideas getting floated in this thread already. 

" That's right, Anxious Millennial Cowboy Hangman Adam Page, this Saturday at Cracker Barrel Old Country Store and State Farm Insurance present All Elite Wrestling Battle of the Belts II at the Curtis Culwell Center in Garland Texas, I, The Influencer Chris Jericho, am meeting you, Anxious Millennial Cowboy Hangman Adam Page, for a Championship Opportunity and I (full name) am not only going to take your Championship, I am going to send you (full name) to the local medical facility in Garland, Texas, this Saturday at (full name of event, including the presenting sponsors)!

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

I was surprised when I heard people talk as if Wardlow was going over tonight and that Scorpio was transitional from Sammy to Wardlow

It seems like it would be questionable to have MJF feuding with a non-world champ before whenever he's gonna feud with the top champ sometime later. So, MJF/Wardlow really didn't need a title.

So I thought JAS was a stupid name, but Jericho actually came up with a legit reason why "appreciation" is in the name, all of those guys have reasons they're now in Jericho's debt, which I liked. What I didn't like is the lack of explanation when it comes to why they were beating up Jericho for a solid month...as least say it was a trick to lure Eddie in or something, not referencing it was kinda blah.

I figured Wardlow was going to win the title but once I realized they were in San Antonio I figured there was no way two titles were going to switch hands on the same night, and we all knew that Rosa was going to win, so sucks to be Wardlow.

Absolutely LOVED Regal on commentary, specifically for his Danhausen comment. YUTA wants to join the hobo army, and I think I'm all for it, actually.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I was surprised when I heard people talk as if Wardlow was going over tonight and that Scorpio was transitional from Sammy to Wardlow

It seems like it would be questionable to have MJF feuding with a non-world champ before whenever he's gonna feud with the top champ sometime later. So, MJF/Wardlow really didn't need a title.

They just had Sammy as transitional. Why on earth would they ever have had Scorpio as transitional too? Not to speak of the fact they were accused of burying talent of colour recently. Not sure what people were smoking who saw the quick title turn.

Who will believe MJF feuding with a “top champ” after dropping blow offs to Jericho, Punk and (presumably) Wardlow all in succession? Nobody. He becomes a “Machiavellian” jester. They just end up in the same drawn out bind as they did with Page, and they’d need to turn MJF face at that point for any benefit. Equally if Wardlow loses this then he’s dead in the water already as well. Think about it. This is not a clever or beneficial program to be running right now. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Green Meanie said:

Wardlow's booking.

See second sentence of paragraph quoted. Was never going to happen, and that contributes to why this decision-making process is so stupid.

• Like 1

Speaking of cage matches, you'd expect Blood & Guts at some point this year. I really hope the action is confined to the cage this time round. I didn't like how it escaped the cage. The only time I've liked outside the cage action is Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker at In Your House 18: Badd Blood 1997 in the first HIAC I gave ***** to. Undertaker's best ever match as well as Shawn Michaels.

3 hours ago, Freudian_Slap said:

Also a random thought I had was, I really want Orange Cassidy to wrestle Bryan Danielson

When is Danhausen due back in the ring?

OrangeHausen vs Danielson/Mox would be pretty great.

I still eagerly await the day we get AmDrag vs HOOK for a 30 minute draw on Rampage...

• Like 5

1 hour ago, A_K said:

They just had Sammy as transitional. Why on earth would they ever have had Scorpio as transitional too? Not to speak of the fact they were accused of burying talent of colour recently. Not sure what people were smoking who saw the quick title turn.

Who will believe MJF feuding with a “top champ” after dropping blow offs to Jericho, Punk and (presumably) Wardlow all in succession? Nobody. He becomes a “Machiavellian” jester. They just end up in the same drawn out bind as they did with Page, and they’d need to turn MJF face at that point for any benefit. Equally if Wardlow loses this then he’s dead in the water already as well. Think about it. This is not a clever or beneficial program to be running right now. 

Unless the plan with MJF is for him to hit rockbottom before building back up?

I could see him losing the blow off for this at Double of Nothing, spending a few months away from the ring, and coming back and either building a face turn off the back of the Punk feud OR becoming a little more dangerous/deranged because he's got nobody left to help him reign it in.

Let's not forget, he's 26 years old. He's two years younger than Darby and Sammy. He's got a decade before he even gets to "WWE Main Eventer" age so there's heaps of time to build him back up. Wardlow is 34, a bigger dude physically (so possibly breaking down sooner?) and the hotter hand right now.

Run with him for a while and MJF's time will come.

• Like 2