DVDVR Message Board

Remembering Scott Hall (1958-2022)

I don't know what to say. I'm sporting a "Bad Guy" tshirt from PWT as we speak in honor of Scott. I remember the mid 2000's, my buddy and I would call each other on the phone during old AWA reruns on ESPNClassic at like midnight. We were watching one night and out comes fucking Scott Hall... and I'm not talking "chico" Scott Hall. This guy was built like a fucking brick shithouse and had a mustache that would make Dr. Disrespect envious.

We were both already fans of Hall and the "Hey, yo" became a staple in High School for us (which was 2004-2009, so a full 2 years after his WWE run). Can't forget about throwing a toothpick in as well to flick at someone!

My point being, I never remembered Hall from the Attitude Era and prior, I was too young. But those years later, Hall STILL had an impact on me. That guy was as the late Stuart Scott put it "as cool as the other side of the pillow". I'm glad he got his flowers on his way out. We can at least take solace knowing he got to enjoy his HoF inductions. Rest in power to the best wrestler to never win the big one.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Krone Meltzer said:

I don't know what to say. I'm sporting a "Bad Guy" tshirt from PWT as we speak in honor of Scott. I remember the mid 2000's, my buddy and I would call each other on the phone during old AWA reruns on ESPNClassic at like midnight. We were watching one night and out comes fucking Scott Hall... and I'm not talking "chico" Scott Hall. This guy was built like a fucking brick shithouse and had a mustache that would make Dr. Disrespect envious.

That version of Scott Hall was a part of 1 of either the most unintentionally funny promos of all time, or the most intentionally funny promo of all time. It was 1 of those promos that was so funny for so many different reasons that it’s impossible to tell of it was a brilliant wrestling promo or a giant disgrace to the sport. It was posted in the promo thread recently and not everybody agreed on it’s qualities but to me that one is right up there with the Ultimate Warrior before WM, Flair’s funniest mad promos, etc in just absolute hilarity and craziness. 

More on him later if it comes time to for us all to post in rememberance. I saw about Virgil but I also saw where somebody mentioned we might should pump the brakes on that. 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Not for nothing, and no offense, but I'm going to wait for someone with a little more credibility than fucking Virgil to make the announcement. 

While I haven't seen anything official - a lot of wrestlers have been posting versions of "Goodbye Scott" in the last 15-20 minutes (including Dustin Rhodes and Kevin Owens)

• Like 1

So, been trying to put words together regarding the Scott Hall situation. Yes, even making this post after like 6 years of not posting here cuz y’all old like me. Hey Rippa. lol

Been watching since 93 when I was a kid. Like one of the 3 women watching who have been watching for 30 years. Loved the colorful arse outfits, the aura of “cool-ness” and just how big he was. Many wrestlers get dwarfed when they go to the land of giants, but Hall was top 5 as far as height goes.

From begging with my brothers my mom to order WM 10 and getting told “you n***as ain’t got jobs” to begging again to order PPVs, it just wasn’t fair as a kid haha

Didn’t watch him much in WCW as my brothers remained loyal to WWF and a many Boston crabs were broken up by a backhand from my mom. What I did see, he had his ups and downs and unfortunately they made it to TV as a character and shoot.

I watched Starcade 98 at my friend’s house. Hall’s heart felt promo about how his life has gone to hell and he had no one to blame but him is an all time promo that no one but me probably remembers.. but hey one of my favorite moments on TV happened later when he cattle prodded Goldberg. We need more cattle prods in wrestling.

I was just excited for his 2002 run and even later knowing what a sh— show it was for him to work with Austin, I still think it holds up until it doesn’t. Same with his various TNA runs.

I’m unapologetic about my love for The Bad Guy. He was too handsome for wrestling and too insecure for it as well and it got to him like it got to many other icons (Chyna immediately comes to mind). 

Also thank you Scott Hall for treating the business as a business even though you were a fan of it. More people need that attitude.

• Like 11

Hall was never my favourite guy and I never was a big fan of him after he went to WCW, but I can’t deny that back in 1994-1995, Razor looked liked a badass mofo every time he came out, the epitome of cool. Anytime a combo of him, Bret or Shawn would share a ring I remember feeling how it was impossible to get cooler than what I was witnessing in that very moment.

I’m still in awe when I go back to his matches because I always forget how fucking huge he looked. The way he ran the ropes so fast also made it seem like he would kill you on impact.

I feel he never gets the credit he deserves for making ladder matches famous, the focus always seems to go to Shawn but the guy was there every step of the way. That pose on top of the ladder with the two belts is iconic.

He also gave us the single greatest Stunner sell ever which loves forever in my memory and I smile every time I dig it up.

• Like 2

As someone who has followed Hall since his first WCW run in 84... this one hurts a lot. He could be really good with the right guy or sometimes just be fucking around in th ring because he could but DAMMIT! The one thing Scott Hall was consistent at was being entertaining!

I'm tryin not to cry (I took Emilio Delgado dying last week so hard that I broke down crying trying to listen to "Sing" 4 different times, I can't imagine trying to listen to even a "Hey Yo!" when the final word comes down).

James

Edited by J.H.
  • Like 1

Hall had *it*. He was just one of those magnetic bad guys where the work almost didn't matter. At the peak of the peak ratings period in wresting history, he was one of the top reasons people were changing the channel to see what was happening on Nitro. It was wild watching fans that would boo the nWo at every turn but couldn't help themselves by joining in with a HEY YO at the start of the big promo. They just couldn't resist.

I wish he'd been lucky enough to have come along later when he could have had much easier access to help for his substance issues, but by all accounts when he was clean he was a really friendly guy and a very sharp mind for wrestling. 

Also, I love that clip with the uber driver. Like, literally no real reason for him to do that except a fan would like it. Cool guy.

• Like 8

I'm going to choose to only look at the silver lining. Scott had a long painful path where he was self loathing and suicidal for a very long time. He was able to grind his way from the very bottom back to the top of the mountain. He did the work. He was happy, he was healthy, he was sober. It's tragic that this is how his story is going to end in all likelihood. But I'm thankful he gets to go out on the top of the mountain instead of where he was 10 years ago. He got to mend relationships and re-write his story and completely rehab his legacy. If this is how he passes, he's going out on maybe the best note of his whole life. Personal acceptance and happiness.

Incredibly tragic, but I also can't help but to smile knowing he won his battle with the demons in the end. Top of the mountain. No self loathing. No depression. Nothing but love and support on the way out. We should all be so lucky.

• Like 14

9 hours ago, Casey said:

Maybe the most badass music + entrance combo I've ever seen. And that pop. 2000 wasn't kind to Scott Hall, I think we can all admit that - his "best years" were way behind him. But this was just perfect, and it's a shame we didn't get more of him in ECW. Although, with hindsight being what it is, maybe it's a good thing, since that locker room would have been toxic as hell for him most likely. But still... dude was the walking embodiment of swag before swag was a part of the lexicon. Just so. fucking. cool.

I'm glad he got sober in the last decade or so, and was able to be around for everyone giving him his flowers and got that Hall of Fame moment. 

One of my favorite moments of all time in wrestling. Love that pop, unforgettable, and Ready or Not sticks with me as Hall's theme forever. 

• Like 1

I agree that if he passes now, and if he has truly came back around from having went all the way around the wrong way, that this is sad for us at worst. Otherwise it will be a day of rejoicing. He won’t be in pain anymore and he’ll be moving on having paid up. I’m not the judge but if I were that would be good enough for me and I think it will be good enough for the real judge. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

I agree that if he passes now, and if he has truly came back around from having went all the way around the wrong way, that this is sad for us at worst. Otherwise it will be a day of rejoicing. He won’t be in pain anymore and he’ll be moving on having paid up. I’m not the judge but if I were that would be good enough for me and I think it will be good enough for the real judge. 

FWIW, as a Pastor I do have ministry contacts that were longtime wrestling fans. I do know of a minister that told me weeks ago that Scott was at peace with God. There is a reason to rejoice after we mourn.

Edited by The Great ML
  • Like 3

One of my earliest memories was him on Superstars at the end of '95 my first Wrestling event was a Nitro a few months later after he joined WCW.  Around that time I was always renting tapes if shows from that Era of WWF from when He and and the Kliq and Bret and those guys being work horses of a gimmick heavy WWF. 

• Like 1