DVDVR Message Board

Remembering Scott Hall (1958-2022)

This one is rough. I don’t know how to put it into words. I grew up watching Scott on TV from WCW to WWE to TNA and everywhere in between. It took me years to realize how good Scott really was as his personal issues were interfering with his professional performance when I first saw him. It was when ESPN Classics started airing the old AWA show, and I saw a young almost unrecognizable Scott Hall teaming up with Curt Hennig that I started to see it. Then you watch the Razor Ramon run and you realize why the guy was considered one of the best ever. Dude got it. He knew how to work. He was also unselfish, understood his position and was more than happy to put people over hell at the height of the nWo’s run he put over Chris Jericho and Hector Garza. I’m happy Scott got clean and was able to rebuild his reputation over the last 8 or so years. This is a loss the man was a wealth of knowledge go on YouTube and watch shoot clips the man is teaching lessons he got it and he wasn’t afraid to share it.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 1

I would have wished for Scott Hall to have another 10-20 years, whenever I heard him talk, I never got the impression he tried to babyface, justify, apologize any of his behaviour. He was a great worker, and probably my second favourite to Bret in the new generation era. 

He was so good, he could easily loose clean to guys lesser than him and never seemed to cool off or anything. Perfect No. 2 guy imo. 

10 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

I would have wished for Scott Hall to have another 10-20 years, whenever I heard him talk, I never got the impression he tried to babyface, justify, apologize any of his behaviour. He was a great worker, and probably my second favourite to Bret in the new generation era. 

He was so good, he could easily loose clean to guys lesser than him and never seemed to cool off or anything. Perfect No. 2 guy imo. 

I think he was the Savage of his generation.. just without the top belt. He was bulletproof. People loved him even when they were supposed to hate him.

• Like 1

I thought he'd be Hunter's Pat Patterson or have the position Shawn is in NXT, 5  years ago I wouldn't expect Michaels so be fully hands on in wrestling like he is now. I would have expected Hall to be that involved in NXT with Hunter. Besides Waltman I don't think any other kliq member was more intune to the business overall. I'm 34 and I obviously been watching for a long time. I enjoy wrestling from different eras, Territories. I  can understand guys from his era being very critical of this modern Era because I too have alot of those same criticisms but I also enjoy guys like him, Austin and Waltman being fans and enjoying what they see today as much as anything else they've liked. It's cool knowing these guys enjoy the current product and even when they do have criticisms its very constructive. It never gets old to hear or see the gleam in Austin when he is podcasting a current wrestler and you got the same sense from Scott Hall, you get it from Pac too. You don't really get the sense of alot of former top wrestlers where their world view of a wrestler should be is WWE or WWF style

Edited by Ziggy
  • Like 4

I don't have much to contribute, but back when DVDVR was green and on a different server, my first profile picture was this:

hq3vHMy.gif

It's still my favorite.  Random, but it's the small things that can bring joy sometimes.

Edited by _MJ_
  • Like 10
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

I didn’t agree with some of the stuff he had to say in his informal shoots (WWE DVD interviews, Darkside of the Ring etc) and he came off as Mic Foley crybabyish over a couple issues but besides that it was great listening to him. I mention that now only to reinforce that I mean what I say when I say he was great, and that I’m not just laying it on thick. Because besides that he was great. He was so dang great and I loved him. 

Edited by BloodyChamp

One of my friends sent me this 

I was listening to an interview where Hall talked about how after one of his first matches for Crockett, Tully went up to him and told him what he did right and wrong in the match. Ha said "Thank you Mr Blanchard, that means a lot etc" and Tully said "I don't give a shit about you kid, I just don't want you killing the crowd before it's time for my match"

• Haha 8

17 hours ago, The Natural said:

Hoping to watch some of the following today:

Razor Ramon vs. Bret Hart. WWF Royal Rumble 1993.

Razor Ramon vs. Bret Hart. WWF King of the Ring 1993.

Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels. WWF WrestleMania X. *****.

Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels. WWF SummerSlam 1995. Haven't seen that since I was a kid. Was so excited for it.

Scott Hall/Kevin Nash vs. Sting/Randy Savage/Lex Luger. WCW Bash at the Beach 1996.

WCW vs. nWo. WarGames match. WCW Fall Brawl 1996.

Some thoughts:

I forgot how tall Scott Hall was.

One of the best punchers in wrestling history.

The Fallaway Slam. Didn't Scott Hall refer to it as the sack of shit?

Nobody kicked out of the Razor's Edge, right?

Bret Hart was one of Scott Hall's best opponents, ditto for Kevin Nash and Sean Waltman.

When I think of the WWF Intercontinental Championship - Razor Ramon, Bret Hart, Mr. Perfect and Chris Jericho. A real shame Hall never held a world title.

• Like 1

Watching the Resurection of Jake the Snake made me appreciate Dallas Page so much more. Were it not for DDP, who knows how the Scott Hall story would have ended. As it was, Dallas helped put him on the path where we all are remembering everything he gave us, everything he gave to wrestling. Scott Hall was one of the coolest sumbitches ever to grace pro wrestling, and as much as it hurts he's gone, it's heartwarming to know his friends and his family got to enjoy the last few years where he was sober and in good spirits.

And as one of the many young punk kids who tried(and failed)to look as cool as him with a toothpick in my mouth, who had that one strand of hair down in my face like him, and said "hey yo" to start way too many conversations, thanks for everything, Scott. May God grant you lie still

• Like 5

I have no recollection of him putting over Hector Garza and that's crazy because I was as in to WCW as I ever was. I was probably watching something on Raw at the time that had my attention so much that a didn't switch to catch what Nitro had going on at that moment. Obviously Bischoff wouldn't put something like that over. If He and Nash or Pac never brought in up occasionally I probably would have never known it happened. I think it might have been posted here a time or two but that crazy it happened. I was a fan of Garza and Juvi in those Lucha tags on Nitro and PPVs in '97 -'98. I would have loved to been on messageboard to see fans reactions to it at the time.

29 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I have no recollection of him putting over Hector Garza and that's crazy because I was as in to WCW as I ever was. I was probably watching something on Raw at the time that had my attention so much that a didn't switch to catch what Nitro had going on at that moment. 

The Garza flash win was great, but the Scott Hall revenge squash was even better.