DVDVR Message Board

Remembering Scott Hall (1958-2022)

For me, the thing that stands out most about Hall is his transformation.  At one point a Magnum TA clone that was completely unrecognizable when he changed into the Diamond Studd.  

Me: “That’s Big Scott Hall from the AWA?” 

The Studd was definitely more image than character.  Plus it was one of those occasions where WCW would annoyingly attempt to do what Vince and co. would do with so much of their brainless/overthought repackaging.  But there was potential there and Razor coming along seemed to complete the work.  

Adios Chico.

• Like 5

Another Scott Hall memory just got unlocked in my brain.

Back in the 90s cable wasn’t really widespread back in Venezuela but one local channel would show “Cable shows” the whole afternoon and evening of every Saturday from like 1990 to 1995, and they actually showed full PPVs for free. This way I got to watch most PPVs and Superstars from that era.

I remember watching religiously every Saturday for my wrestling fix until one afternoon in 1994 the WM X Ladder Match popped up on my TV and my 7 year old mind was blown away.

They would sometimes repeat shows or matches so after that day I learned how to use our VCR in hopes of catching the replay of this magical match on tape to show my friends because I didn’t know how to put into words what I had witnessed.

Around 1997 I used Amazon for the first time and my first ever Amazon purchase was WM X on VHS. Along with 12 and 13 if you’re wondering.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Scott Hall's passing makes BBC News. I associate with Razor Ramon more as that was my introduction to him as a kid.

Made the Times as well. That tends to be my bellwether of true fame... glad he passed that test.

Anyone else picture him going through the pearly gates doing the "ME ME ME ME ME YEAH!" taunt?

• Like 5

One thing that needs mentioning was that Hall was a master of was the art of being dazed and standing / walking into the right position to be hit with a move. 

Watch the Bash at the Beach six man again on Savage's hot tag.  Hall has to stagger all the way across the ring to get hit with Savage's double axe handle, then get up and get back into position for like 5 more.  it's a master class, all looping arms, goofy steps and glazed eyes.

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

One thing that needs mentioning was that Hall was a master of was the art of being dazed and standing / walking into the right position to be hit with a move. 

Watch the Bash at the Beach six man again on Savage's hot tag.  Hall has to stagger all the way across the ring to get hit with Savage's double axe handle, then get up and get back into position for like 5 more.  it's a master class, all looping arms, goofy steps and glazed eyes.

This particular art is lost on today's wrestlers. 

• Like 2

Crazy to see him grow over the years, from tag champs with Curt Hennig in the AWA, to the Diamond Studd, to Razor, to the Outsider. 

He was a damn good wrestler and entertainer who will live forever through his work that we will enjoy watching and workers will emulate.

RIP ❤??

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, "Stone Cold" Steve Austin said:

The move that started a pro-wrestling boom

I haven't looked it up but it wouldn't surprise me if Schiavone didn't know.  He either really didn't or that was a picture-perfect way of acting like he did.  I actually hold this in much higher regard than Hogan's "Stick it, brother" promo due to how real this all felt.  And no that has nothing to do with it being Hogan.

This is a hard one but not in the way Brodie and Hana where it crushed my fandom a bit, this one is hard because it makes me remember the start of my fandom and . I didn't watch WCW regularly when I started watching wrestling, all my friends were WWF fans so that's what I gravitated to, but I probably saw the Diamond Studd once or twice but never remembered him but when the first Razor Ramon vignette aired I thought he was the coolest toughest guy and became one of my favorites before I ever watched him in the ring and when he did get in the ring and hit the Razors Edge the first time it solidified him as awesome. But more than being someone I thought was great that made him a big part of my being a fan is that my dad liked him too. My dad wasn't a big fan of wrestling when I started watching but would put up with it but he liked Razor Ramon and would start saying Chico and it was something that helped that bond and Hall was always a guy my dad remembered. When the nWo was in WWE in 2002 my dad called me cause he saw them on TV and was talking about how he saw that "Razor Ramon was back chico". My dad passed just over 3 years ago now and I hope he's happy to see Razor Ramon again.

Hall was an all time great truthfully and I love that he wasn't bitter about never being the top guy or anything, like I remember him on Art of Wrestling talking about how great it was that he was in the Tito Santana position in WWF making money being  the #2 face. He was a true pro, the way I think of guys like Eddie Guerrero and Terry Funk who would do what was best for the show without being a prima donna about things which is so strange with him being friends with Shawn, HHH and Nash. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I haven't looked it up but it wouldn't surprise me if Schiavone didn't know.  He either really didn't or that was a picture-perfect way of acting like he did.  I actually hold this in much higher regard than Hogan's "Stick it, brother" promo due to how real this all felt.  And no that has nothing to do with it being Hogan.

I was out of wrestling around this time, but had just happened to tune in to Nitro that week.  Being out of the loop, and not being online at the time, I legitimately thought WWF and WCW were working together.  It blew my mind.

• Like 3

Yeah, no kidding.  I wasn't even on the AOL channels yet and the only online service I knew of was Prodigy when going to a house in Pittsburgh.  I thought for sure WWF stars were going to invade which made sense when WCW had to course correct in lieu of the lawsuits.  But man I was fantasy booking like a motherfucker which was heavily fueled by the likes of PWI.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

One thing about Hall that I've picked up on in the last few years is that he may have the most well-adjusted view of the business of anyone who's had his amount of success.

I mean his view of how people in the pro wrestling business "should" handle it.  He seemed to strike a good balance between treating it like a business and getting the most out of it for yourself and giving back to the fans/younger wrestlers.  He was cutthroat in the way that he made sure he got paid, but was always giving in ways that many of his peers were not.  In fact, there's probably an argument to be made that if Hall had been more protective of his spot, he'd be viewed as an even bigger start nowadays.

• Like 7

I wasn’t a fan of Hall losing to Hectar Garza then Chris Jericho (in the middle of his heel turn wtf...so dumb). It was obviously WCW just trying to copy old WWF thing number 4000 and it didn’t  accomplish jack. That was me rooting for WCW vs WWF.

Forgetting who I was rooting for now that it’s over though, here’s why it was awesome. Hall was just like do a job? Like lose? Ok. Because I can do that and still be great. 

Meanwhile his pal is busy booking himself to be champion. I hope he’s learned now that heart attacks aren’t something to joke about btw. Hogan, Warrior, Savage who went crazy there at the end. This was all going on at the same time. Hall’s mere return was the main event of a ppv somewhere in the middle of all that and how did that end? He did the job. 

This will sound like I’m laying it on to thick and I can’t prove it but I also believe Hall never lost sight of 1 of the basic things about wrestling that wasn’t repeated enough. Every now and then somebody would up and drop this on a radio show or something but not often. I’ll quote or paraphrase Saturn who was 1 of the few to mention it. I say paraphrase because I don’t remember it exactly but it was something like “anybody who complains about losing a fight that isn’t real is a fucking pussy.” I think Hall knew that, and even got a kick out of it with his almost Curt Hennig type overselling, his comedy relief, and his 9000 TV jobs lol! 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 1

There are no characters like Hall in the business today. Effortlessly cool. Effortless flow. Effortless characterisation. He lived the role. No smarky nods; no carnyness; no nods to “match ratings” and all that silliness. True great.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Log said:

One thing about Hall that I've picked up on in the last few years is that he may have the most well-adjusted view of the business of anyone who's had his amount of success.

I mean his view of how people in the pro wrestling business "should" handle it.  He seemed to strike a good balance between treating it like a business and getting the most out of it for yourself and giving back to the fans/younger wrestlers.  He was cutthroat in the way that he made sure he got paid, but was always giving in ways that many of his peers were not.  In fact, there's probably an argument to be made that if Hall had been more protective of his spot, he'd be viewed as an even bigger start nowadays.

I was thinking about this last night.

For a guy that fell in with Nash, Michaels & Hunter he was extremely giving in his matches and over his career. Almost to a fault.

He never seemed to go over at the 'wrong' time.

• Like 2