DVDVR Message Board

Remembering Scott Hall (1958-2022)

1 hour ago, L_W_P said:

A friend of mine just messaged after hearing the news.

He reminded me that the Razor's Edge was the swimming pool finisher of choice when we would play with his little cousins. He asked if anyone still did that move and, outside of a short run with Sheamus and the Border Toss variation from Hernandez, I can't think of anyone that uses it.

Damian Priest uses it. He tossed Balor into a table with it tonight and a week or two back.

Edited by Eivion

1 hour ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

I never knew this story - fantastic 

And on top of that he also did clean jobs on Nitro to Jericho (before he was anybody) and Hector Garza.

• Like 2

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/other/scott-hall-finds-peace-after-battling-demons-for-decades

Great read back from 2015. Jim Ross interviewed Hall for Fox Sports. Very important quote to take away from this one:

“To anyone that will listen, I honestly tell them that there are people that can help you. Find some professional that you connect with and go for it. Ignoring the problem, the real problem, did not work for me nor do I recommend it to anyone else. If you click with your therapist then they can help you.  I had the inability to ask for help when I needed it. People offered to help me but I refused. They’d ask ‘How are you?’ and I’d answer, ‘Better than you.’ I finally had the courage and the clarity to forgive myself. I had lied to myself for years. I couldn’t keep a promise to myself, for instance like saying, ‘I’m not drinking today’ and a couple of hours later I’m drinking heavily. Forgiving myself has been the best thing to happen to me. ” 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, BrianS81177 said:

And on top of that he also did clean jobs on Nitro to Jericho (before he was anybody) and Hector Garza.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

I never really thought about it because the Kliq always had the whole politicking stink attached to them, but Hall was definitely very giving to younger and lower card talent. Apart from his own personal demons you never hear negative stories about him.

I think he wore that Syxx shirt for so long that it was actually one of his alternate attires in WCW/NWO Revenge.

• Like 2

Hoping to watch some of the following today:

Razor Ramon vs. Bret Hart. WWF Royal Rumble 1993.

Razor Ramon vs. Bret Hart. WWF King of the Ring 1993.

Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels. WWF WrestleMania X. *****.

Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels. WWF SummerSlam 1995. Haven't seen that since I was a kid. Was so excited for it.

Scott Hall/Kevin Nash vs. Sting/Randy Savage/Lex Luger. WCW Bash at the Beach 1996.

WCW vs. nWo. WarGames match. WCW Fall Brawl 1996.

• Like 1

I'm on an old ipad that doesn't present any twitter quotes, so I'm not sure of everything that's been mentioned in this thread, but here's what else I was thinking...

The fallaway slam. Not sure whose move this was but I only saw Hall and later Bradshaw use it... dude could lift a guy for a bodyslam or maybe a powerslam, but instead he freakin throws em backwards over his head and still lands them nice and flush with the mat. Along with having the low-key greatest finisher ever, this gets me thinking he was at the forefront of the avant garde in wrestling at the time. 

He also might be the guy I can remember most in wrestling. My watching has always been spotty for a variety of reasons, but there's so many Scott Hall moments I can remember clear as day:

- versus Bob Baclund at WM 9

- 1-2-3 Kid match (how he let Waltman smell his butt during the pinfall)

- awesome ring gear when he beat Diesel alongside Walter Payton (Summerslam)

- a most boring (at the time) match versus Jarrett at WM 11 that I still watched over and over again (his facial expressions in the figure-4 specifically; had anyone survived a figure-4 at that point like Razor did?)

- SummerSlam 95 how he had the purple trim compared with the solid gold at WM 10. How he sold the ribs and almost turned heel on Shawn that night

- getting big Sid up for the Razor's Edge (proof of greatness?)

- being the only face on his team in the WildCard match at SS95

- the CryBaby match (greatest gimmick match ever, but we don't go there). I've said elsewhere that Waltman should have kept the diaper gimmick, with his opponents and handlers putting him in the diaper everytime he got outta line. Everyone was happy to see Razor get his win back, and of course, Waltman was born to finally take that Razor's Edge

- BatB96 - I thought this was a borefest, but I can remember Hall doing Hogan poses afterwards; dude coulda made fun of anyone

- that time he threw a toothpick and it got stuck in Rick Steiner's goatee

- the Goldberg match. Somehow it didn't matter if Hall had any credibility at that point, he wasn't afraid of Goldberg and I fuckin wanted to see them fight. You can see how big he was when he bumped for the spear. He was one of few dudes who could have escaped that fate with a veteran knee lift, but he took the spear and I still remember the bump

- the taser spot. Wtf?

- the Bam Bam Bigelow/Goldberg/Hall feud. Never got to see this play out, but after Goldberg lost the heat from his streak, Bigelow came in like a wildfire STILL wanting a piece of Goldberg and somehow Hall was willing to get between those two behemoths and it was cool as hell

- Halloween Havoc versus Nash. Nash basically just ran through his entire moveset but it was awesome seeing a man Hall's size just selflessly bump through an entire match. Dude was willing to be put in his place because he was he bad guy in this fed.

- the return to WWE versus Spike Dudley. Hall came in and did the fallaway slam and the back-suplex off the top and his entire moveset and it was like, oh yeah, I remember this dude now

• Like 2

For me, the thing that stands out most about Hall is his transformation.  At one point a Magnum TA clone that was completely unrecognizable when he changed into the Diamond Studd.  

Me: “That’s Big Scott Hall from the AWA?” 

The Studd was definitely more image than character.  Plus it was one of those occasions where WCW would annoyingly attempt to do what Vince and co. would do with so much of their brainless/overthought repackaging.  But there was potential there and Razor coming along seemed to complete the work.  

Adios Chico.

• Like 5