DVDVR Message Board

Remembering Scott Hall (1958-2022)

One of my earliest memories was him on Superstars at the end of '95 my first Wrestling event was a Nitro a few months later after he joined WCW.  Around that time I was always renting tapes if shows from that Era of WWF from when He and and the Kliq and Bret and those guys being work horses of a gimmick heavy WWF. 

• Like 1

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to Remembering Scott Hall (1958-2022)
5 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

Scott Hall has like the best discus punch and chokeslam ever.  Hell, he even hits a Judas Effect in this match.

It was such a good chokeslam that it didn’t look like a chokeslam, if that makes any sense. It looked like something you would do in a fight because it looked that good. It wasn’t feet set, grab neck, lift guy by his ass while he doesn’t fight back and finally chokeslam. He was also a GOAT puncher. I have said that many times. 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 7

16 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

He's gone.

Seen ???

But also...whew...for reason already discussed. ???

I’ll never forget Scott appearing on Nitro in the middle of that match. He was the perfect guy for that seemingly small but huge moment. It had to be somebody big enough to get that immediate heat but not somebody to big to blow it. It made you wonder if it was what it looked like but it didn’t give it away. The birth and upbringing of the NWO was really some of the best wrestling TV ever done, overshadowed by how it ended. Scott Hall was the main reason it went so well. He was the 1 guy in the trenches doing the tricky work until payoff time. 

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, ebbie said:

Also thank you Scott Hall for treating the business as a business even though you were a fan of it. More people need that attitude.

All the way down to the eff ups.

KzqZ53.gif

Was he the last great “nothing bothers me which makes you hate me more” heel? This has me thinking about that all of a sudden. 

• Like 7

Back in college (this was around 93 or so), Scott Hall was doing a signing at a Tower Video near campus. Wasn't much into wrestling at the time (it was a down time for wrestling viewing -- didn't watch TV much around this period), but I'd seen Razor Ramon and wanted to get a glimpse of him. 

I walked past the video store (it was in an indoor mini-mall) and there was Scott, in his Razor gear, looking a bit miserable sitting at this tiny table. Seriously, it looked like a card table made to look fancy. At the same time, a mother and her son, who looked to be about 7-8 years old, came up to the table.

"Excuse me, Razor," the boy politely yelled (he didn't have an indoor voice). "Could you sign my video?"

Scott smiled. "Hey, yo! How are you?"

"I'm good," the boy said.

"Are you here to see The Bad Guy," Scott said.

"This is his reward, Mr. Ramon," the mom quipped (I had to hold my laughter watching this -- a parent with no knowledge of wrestling would definitely call him "Mr. Ramon.") "His grades went from Cs and Ds to As and Bs. I'm treating him to a signed video and his favorite meal."

Scott smiled again. "Way to go, mang! The Bad Guy -- he couldn't get As and Bs, so don't be like me. You going to keep getting good grades?"

"Yes, sir," the boy yelled, high-fiving Scott.

"That's what I like to hear!"

He had his demons, but there always seemed to be plenty of good in Scott Hall. He could work a good match with anybody, he put people over willingly, had a sharp mind for the business and, based on what I saw and other stories I've read on the Observer and the like, he was generally good with fans at autograph and nostalgia shows, especially kids.

One other Hall memory -- one of the WCW cards I saw at the Meadowlands Arena in NJ back in the day featured a tuxedo match featuring Hall (as the Diamond Studd) against Tom Zenk. The match was horrible and pointless. 

Fast-forward to Hall in the WWF as Razor Ramon. My dad, who was at the Meadowlands for that tuxedo man, looked at Hall and asked if he's ever seen him before. I mentioned that he was "the guy in the white tux in that awful tuxedo match we saw."

My Dad was surprised -- "Really, he's actually good here. What happened?" (Count my dad and myself as one of the many people who couldn't connect at first that Razor Ramon was the same guy as WCW's Diamond Studd and AWA's "Big/Magnum" Scott Hall.)

Edited by colonial
  • Like 18
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

All the way down to the eff ups.

KzqZ53.gif

Was he the last great “nothing bothers me which makes you hate me more” heel? This has me thinking about that all of a sudden. 

He grew up a wrestling fan. He told a story one time about how he went to see a show with a hair vs hair match as a kid. He said he got into an argument with the other kids because he was the only one who still thought it was real.

Fast forward when he was an actual wrestler, he knew it was about making money. All these wrestlers who go all boo boo face (how he described Nash a lot of times haha) when someone on Twitter says they have a bad match. All I can think is Hall going one time “but you still watched” The guy was a great interview. Now gonna go spend the read of the night listening to him.

Pro wrestling lost the sexiest wrestler to ever step foot in the ring today. ?✝️

• Like 3

Going to keep it very short.

For years as a kid, my only tape was Great American Bash 91 and I was at least a minor Zenk fan as a kid so it stood out to a degree. I love the existence of all the tag "bounty matches" like Dustin/Eaton/Yellow Dog vs Windham/Anderson/Studd.

In his vignettes coming to WWF, I had no idea why he wanted Tito Santana so bad since that's what I heard in "chico." I was a big Tito fan.

There's a nice throughline in 92-93 between Ramon costing Savage the title vs Flair, to him teaming with Flair, to Perfect going face against him and Flair, to Ramon feuding with Perfect, to Luger coming in to fight Perfect, and I appreciate his role there.

I was really excited for Lightning Kid to show up in WWF after being a big Global fan so the whole 123 Kid angle really worked for me. It was selfless but also brilliant as a way to turn himself face.

Nash would have been way better off if Ramon turned heel to feud with him in 95. I always thought that.

That's all I've got.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

Friend of mine sent me this earlier. 

We should all be so lucky as him to come out on the other side of what he went through, the results of today be damned. 

Say goodnight to the bad guy. It's the last time we'll see one like him again, I'm telling you...

RIP

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

this one cuts deep, and i'm having a hard time finding the words. i'm still waiting to find out it's a rib, or just not true somehow.

Scott Hall is directly responsible for me connecting with a guy who would become my best friend. We were in 8th grade and he just joined my class. he was poor (like me), unpopular (like me), and rough and tough (very unlike me).  one day he asks me, out of the blue, "you like wrestling?" i said yes (even tho the only wrestling i could watch was old WWF Coliseum Videos). he goes "Razor Ramon is on Nitro now. wanna come watch it at my house?" i didn't know what Nitro was, and wasn't that familiar with Razor Ramon, but i watched Nitro at his place every week for the next 2 1/2 years. i texted him today and he said "the nWo was like a pillar for the foundation of our friendship"

Hall's passing shows that the nWo is longer than just 4 Life. the whole thing is just 2 (Bitter)Sweet.

RIP to the medium-sized mang.

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 13

One of the greatest of all time. An all time favorite. The epitome of cool.  ^ Had that Jerry Springer appearance recorded on VHS somewhere.

Already mentioned the ECW debut being one of my favorite moments.. the music, the pop. Perfect.

Hall is one of the first guys that comes to mind when I think of 1997 and the all time great era and roster of VPW 64/World Tour. Definitely gonna play some of those.  I always loved the different colors of his attire, especially in the Razor years, and recreating that in the 2K games.

RIP to the Bad Guy. ?

• Like 3

Man, this hurts. Like how some of y’all hurt when Savage or Roddy died, this hurts me. Like when we got out first windows 95 home computer, I drove people crazy when I set the little chime that came on when you turned off the computer to the Razor theme in midi form and the desktop to that picture of him in the white suit and Cadillac. 

and the settings stayed that way cuz I was the only one who knew how to do that sh— haha

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

A red neck was inspired by a fictional Cuban character played by an Italian. Amazing haha

• Like 5

Razor Ramon was breaking out when I first got into wrestling. He did the best thing a heel can, in that I both thought he looked and acted cool as hell but I also wanted to see the face (mainly Bret Hart) kick his ass. I was in high school at the height of the Monday night wars and he was probably the most quoted wrestler around in my peer group. Regardless of the kind of match he had or what shenanigans he was up to, I still thought he was cool as fuck.

Being older and wiser to the inner workings of wrestling, I realize what a polarizing and in some cases toxic person he was to other talent, but wrestling loves a redemption story. By all accounts he realized his past misdeeds and was generous and giving of his advice and time to all the up and coming wrestlers who encountered him. The story of him getting his personal demons in check was every bit as inspiring as his work in the ring.

I'm having a hard time with words here.  I'm happy that he had a decade to make things right for himself and everybody he knew.  It is a small comfort knowing we're not saying "Incredible talent but he killed himself with all the drugs he did"  But it's sad that he's not going to live for another couple decades basking in the love that he's been getting.  Hall did pretty well for himself and I'll really missing seeing him around.

• Like 3

A friend of mine just messaged after hearing the news.

He reminded me that the Razor's Edge was the swimming pool finisher of choice when we would play with his little cousins. He asked if anyone still did that move and, outside of a short run with Sheamus and the Border Toss variation from Hernandez, I can't think of anyone that uses it.

I'd love Wardlow to take it for the finale of his Powerbomb Symphony.

• Like 3