DVDVR Message Board

2022 SPRING TRAINING MOTHERFUCKERS

Dolfan in NYC

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Pujols is officially back with St Louis

He also announced that this will be his last season

A cynic would say Albert's last season was 2016 and that the last 5 seasons his uniform was filled by his corpse.  I wouldn't say that, a cynic would. ?

• Haha 5

Would cutting back the number of days required to count as "one year" of service time help put a stop for this sort of thing? Latest I can find is that it's 172 days which honestly seems really high to me. Is there any good reason spending 90 days on a MLB roster shouldn't move the clock?

• Like 1

Jays are signing Dexter Fowler to a minor league deal

He obviously won't be starting the season on the major league roster but, theoretically he will be up sometime in the first couple of months (especially with how brittle the Toronto OF is)

• Like 1

On the flip side of the prospect coin - the Reds announced that their top pitching prospect - Hunter Greene - has made the starting rotation

And something I had missed in the new CBA

Under the 2021-26 CBA, teams can be awarded draft picks if they carry top prospects to begin the season and those players go on to finish well in awards voting.

• Like 1

The Royals extend Mike Matheny

The Jays extend Charlie Montoyo

In both cases it was basically their 2023 options being picked up.

The Jays also now have team options on Montoyo in 2024 and 2025

The Angels DFAed Justin Upton

They will be on the hook for the $28 million he is owed this season.

Pretty much assumed that that was gonna happen this year - I just figured it would happen around June

• Haha 1

a real commissioner would invalidate that trade and force John Fisher to sell to someone who actually wants to try.

which is why team owners in all major sports got rid of real commissioners decades ago.

Edited by BobbyWhioux
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Death From Above said:

Essentially the Jays just freed up a roster space so they don't need to carry 3 catchers.

The Yanks and Mets pulled off a rare trade between the teams yesterday too that was a similar just fucking around with roster space thing as the Mets had like no lefties in their pen and the Yanks had like 100

From the story

MLB is expected to give teams a go-ahead for players to deploy what is referred to within the industry as PitchCom. Using a pad with buttons on the wrist of the gloved hand, a catcher can signal pitches -- pitch type and location -- directly to the pitcher through a listening device.

Up to three teammates of the pitcher and catcher will also have access to the signals, aiding fielders in positioning.

Change in baseball is often slowed by tradition, but the first reviews of the PitchCom system this spring have been glowing, with players raving about how the electronic process of pitch-signaling has been seamless, helping with the flow of the pitchers' actions on the mound

New York Yankees pitcher Luis Severino and catcher Kyle Higashioka used PitchCom in a game Saturday.

"I think it was great," Severino told reporters. "I was a little doubtful at the beginning, but when we started using it, it was really good -- with a man on second, too. I would definitely like to use it in my first start [of the regular season]. ... You know what pitch you're going to throw right away."

Pitchers and catchers will continue to have the option of using the traditional method of signaling -- catchers flashing fingers of their throwing hand in coded sequences to suggest a pitch selection.

But it seems inevitable that PitchCom will see broad use within the sport as players get more familiar with the technology, and because of ongoing concerns over sign-stealing by opponents.