DVDVR Message Board

2022 SPRING TRAINING MOTHERFUCKERS

Dolfan in NYC

On 3/19/2022 at 7:44 PM, RIPPA said:

Fun fact about this, to make room for Soler, the Marlins are DFA'ing Isan Diaz.  

So, the final piece of the disastrous Christian Yelich trade is now gone.  Stupid fucking Loria. 

45 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Fun fact about this, to make room for Soler, the Marlins are DFA'ing Isan Diaz.  

So, the final piece of the disastrous Christian Yelich trade is now gone.  Stupid fucking Loria. 

Does Yelich being pretty terrible the last two seasons soften that blow at all?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This is more of an off-the-diamond thing, but... Sen. Bernie Sanders is still livid that the Dodgers moved to LA.

Bernie's hardly the only that's salty the Dodgers left.  Not nearly as many folks upset the Giants went with them ?

31 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - have a chat with my Mother and she will let you know what she thought about the Dodgers leaving

Or my dad. They completely killed his love of baseball when they moved, so I got no allegiance mentoring at all growing up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Or my dad. They completely killed his love of baseball when they moved, so I got no allegiance mentoring at all growing up.

This was my Dad too. He grew up in the shadow of Ebbets Field (in fact - he is buried only a block away from where Ebbets used to stand). When they moved - he swore off baseball; only briefly getting back into it when I was young and playing Little League.

My Mom has told me stories about her crying when the Dodgers left (both of my parents were 16 when the team left). She only got back into baseball after Dad died and she was looking for things to keep her occupied (it helped that my eldest sister - who developed my love of sports - lives with her and helped rekindle her love of it.) 

• Like 1

Other folks are confirming

This is all falling under "Health & Safety Protocols"

Rosters will expand to 28 in the month of April (going back to 26 on May 2). When the rosters go back to 26 - teams may only carry 13 pitchers.

Ghost runners in extra innings (ie: runner starts on 2nd). That is just for this year. It appears it will start with the 10th inning (there was talk of it not starting till the 11th). Apparently the rule is actually really popular with players and managers.

The "Shohei Ohtani Rule" if a pitcher is also put in the batting lineup they can remain the DH after being removed a pitcher. That will last the entire CBA. (They actually hope this will promote more 2 way players)

All doubleheaders will be 9 innings (which we already knew)

3 minutes ago, Raziel said:

That also includes the shift ban but I'm in a minority on that.

I don't think you are in the minority on that.

I think it is just the folks who want the shift gone are really vocal about having the shift gone.

franchise relocation should always be opposed

3 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

This is more of an off-the-diamond thing, but... Sen. Bernie Sanders is still livid that the Dodgers moved to LA.

Good.

franchise relocation is the worst thing in American sports and it never should've been allowed to become a tolerated precedent.

Yes I am fully aware of the contradiction of a San Francisco Giants fan saying this.

It's an extortion racket.

3 hours ago, Tabe said:

Bernie's hardly the only that's salty the Dodgers left.  Not nearly as many folks upset the Giants went with them ?

which just goes to show how much of a lie "lack of fan support" and "we need a new stadium" has always been.  Whether technically arguably true in the case of the New York Giants or patently false in the case of the Brooklyn Dodgers (Ebbets was a jewel and should have gotten to be what Fenway and Wrigley have gotten to become, and fans were still filling it), it all ends the same.

facilities don't matter.  fan support doesn't matter.  Even winning doesn't matter (both teams had won the world series just a couple years before moving).  It's "give me all your city/county tax dollars or I'll find another city that will."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

It has essentially eliminated the ground ball single, among other things.

Then hitting coaches should stop playing into analytics and have people hit the fucking ball instead of trying to launch it over the Right/Left field fence.  I don't give a shit if a computer spreadsheet says 300 strikeouts are worth 30 HR's.

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

just hit into the shift.  go opposite field. how hard could it be

85b70cdc-5c09-4ff4-8d7d-c9dc4fbca5b7_tex

In other news, Aaron "Natural Immunity" Judge asked for $21m in arbitration, the Yanks filed at $17m, per Heyman. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Raziel said:

I'm ok with the Ohtani rule.  Everything else can fuck right off. 

That also includes the shift ban but I'm in a minority on that.

I don't think you're in the minority there.

The ghost runner thing is...man, just dumb.

If you want to ban moving teams you'd better institute a proper relegation/promotionso every city has a team. If someone is seriously suggesting that the same 30(-ish) markets should be locked into being the only ones with teams forever, lmao

I say this living near one of the cities that bowed to the wills of an absolute shithead billionaire to get his arena built, but that's on weak ass politicians.

5 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

just hit into the shift.  go opposite field. how hard could it be

Yeah, why don't guys just hit opposite field on in-breaking 90mph sliders? 

Seriously, though, do you think players and managers haven't thought about this stuff? The reason they don't do it is because it doesn't work. 

Edited by Tabe

1 hour ago, Death From Above said:

If you want to ban moving teams you'd better institute a proper relegation/promotionso every city has a team. If someone is seriously suggesting that the same 30(-ish) markets should be locked into being the only ones with teams forever, lmao

I say this living near one of the cities that bowed to the wills of an absolute shithead billionaire to get his arena built, but that's on weak ass politicians.

oh absolutely.

leaving suitable cities barren and starved enough for major league teams so they'll be willing to be used as leverage as the threatened destination is a big part of the scam.

It's more flagrant in football, of course but it applies to the other sports as well

If batters were going to make a “simple” adjustment against the shift, it would have already happened.

I swear, if baseball had somehow determined that a wall of four armor-padded infielders standing within 10 feet of home plate could snare all grounders and line drives and bring batting averages down to .005, there’d be people arguing “why don’t batters simply Baltimore Chop their way over the wall? We don’t need to ban this defense.”

• Like 2

BTW - if folks wanted to see all the arbitration agreements, etc...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/arbtracker2022

Not counting recently traded guys - probably the most notable names who didn't reach an agreement yet are the aforementioned Aaron Judge, Dansby Swanson, John Means, Lucas Giolito and Trey Mancini

Boy that Trey Mancini one is gonna be real awkward if they actually make it all the way to the arbiter