DVDVR Message Board

2022 SPRING TRAINING MOTHERFUCKERS

Dolfan in NYC

Apparently MLB and the MLBPA are discussing having expanded rosters for the start of the season (Joel Sherman is leading the reporting on this so take it with however much salt you want to)

Cards president of baseball operations John Mozeliak seemed to confirm also that MLB is putting back in place the rule that you can only carry a max 13 pitchers on your active roster 

1 minute ago, hammerva said:

And with this news the Pirates and Orioles have officially been eliminated from playoff contention.     

Awwwwwwww, the Orioles suck.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Cards president of baseball operations John Mozeliak seemed to confirm also that MLB is putting back in place the rule that you can only carry a max 13 pitchers on your active roster 

Wish it was more like 10 or 11 but this is at least a start.

• Like 1

To address the conversation Rippa and I were having yesterday regarding "penalizing tanking":

Teams that receive revenue-sharing funds will not be able to receive a lottery pick in three consecutive years, while teams that pay into the revenue-sharing fund will not be eligible for lottery picks in consecutive years.

Rumblingz of Correa to the Cubs. I'll believe that when I see it. I wouldn't be shocked if signing Stro was all they'll do considering they've suffered biblical losses of money.

25 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

And we're off...

I guess they figure his time in Japan has helped him.  He hasn't pitched in the States since 2019 and was horrible nearly his entire time here.

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

Awwwwwwww, the Orioles suck.

Yeah, we're none too pleased about it here but after years of suckage we're kind of used to it.  Still love them though hate I can't see their games unless I go non-legal or go to a public place.

There were rumors for some time about them moving the Orioles somewhere else which pisses off people I know every time it's brought up.  Don't know if the pandemic put that on hold but I imagine that's still on the table.  It would mean lots of people here being done with baseball yet might be best for the sake of the team itself.

1 minute ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Yeah, we're none too pleased about it here but after years of suckage we're kind of used to it.  Still love them though hate I can't see their games unless I go non-legal or go to a public place.

There were rumors for some time about them moving the Orioles somewhere else which pisses off people I know every time it's brought up.  Don't know if the pandemic put that on hold but I imagine that's still on the table.  It would mean lots of people here being done with baseball yet might be best for the sake of the team itself.

My aunt was the most diehard Orioles fan I know and when she passed on, I felt comfort knowing that she could rest knowing that they wouldn't suddenly start winning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

The folks still trying to push that the Orioles are leaving are either just hateful or trolls (or both).

From last month

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/02/al-east-notes-angelos-elias-maybin.html

The younger Angelos didn’t announce anything concrete at the conference (aside from plans to host Paul McCartney at Camden Yards in June, while the Orioles are on the road), but he did discuss ongoing negotiations with the Maryland Stadium Authority regarding a long-term lease on the stadium that would see it used more frequently as a concert venue. The club’s current lease on Camden Yards — long considered the jewel of the ’90s and ’00s “retro” ballpark era, as well as one of the most affordable for fans — runs through 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BTW - that was AFTER the Orioles already extended their lease once. It was supposed to end after last season.

They agreed before the season started to extend it through 2023.

The Os also have an option to extend the lease another 5 years beyond 2023

Apparently - part of the negotiations is around how much the team can get from the city to help with renovations of Camden Yards

Renovations?  Nuts to that, the park's pretty damn nice as is.  But if it helps keep the team there then sure I guess.

32 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The folks still trying to push that the Orioles are leaving are either just hateful or trolls (or both).

Never doubt those who like to kick people while they're down.  I don't hear it as much in Harford County but living in Baltimore it would come up more than I imagined it would.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

Cubs extended David Ross through '24. Club option for '25.

--

The Jeter/Miami fallout appears to be over Nick Castellanos. He coveted Nick, but was told there was no more money to spend.  

The numbers may actually be in the Marlins favor here as they were supposedly one of the teams really losing money.

Camden Yards is 30 years old, I suppose the Orioles would be about due to take their turn at the New Stadium Extortion Scam that all pro sports franchises love to pull whenever they sense an opportunity.

34 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

two contingents that enjoy very healthy representation in pro sports fandom, unfortunately.

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Never doubt those who like to kick people while they're down. 

indeed.  Any nonsensical talk of a "fan boycott" in the wake of lockouts and strikes always makes me laugh because the quickness and viciousness with which people love to twist the knife on the fans of a team that's in danger of moving or committed to move proves the farce inherent in thinking American [sports fan]s would ever have enough class solidarity for such a thing.

Believe me, I've seen plenty enough of "LOL Vegas A's" [from A's exec Dave Kaval no less] on the heels of the Raiders doing the same to prove your point.

• Like 1