DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 3/11/22

So much really very good wrestling this past week! 

Four more matches scheduled for Rampage:

Swerve makes his AEW debut vs "He Has Abs" - Honestly, I haven't seen much of either guy. I have liked what I have seen in the ring so far from Nese, but I have a wrestling-nerd buddy who dislikes him based on how he was presented on "the other channel" which was apparently, literally, that he has abs. I also have abs. You just can't quite clearly see them.

Swerve had a match against Buddy Wayne's kid (who is also All Elite, after Orangey Boy showed up and gave him a contract...) and that match was really fast-paced and exciting. I expect something similar here. 

Darby (w/ Sting) vs Marq Quen (with Isiah Kassidy) - I hope I spelled Kassidy's name correctly. *winks at Dean*

Speaking of really fast-paced and exciting... Also: Maybe we'll get some continuation of the Andrade/Matt/Jeff etc. storyline here? Was this Rampage taped on the same show as the live Dynamite? I could probably look that up, but I want to avoid spoilers.

Keith Lee vs Cutie Marshall - I have just enjoyed the hell out of Keith Lee in AEW so far. When he was on "the other channel" I used to get a huge kick whenever someone posted a gif of him doing cool and awesome things. I also enjoy his whole presentation. I can relate to a guy who is big and strong but speaks softly and thoughtfully.

I wouldn't mind a Keith Lee and Hook vs The Factory mini-feud. Lot of interesting ways those two could toss Marshall and his students around the ring!!

Hayter vs Mercedes. This will probably be the hardest-hitting match on the show. It might be a better match, in terms of in-ring stuff, than the PPV match we got between DMD and Rosa. Wouldn't shock me to see those two involved at some point here (maybe post-match), helping with the build to their gonna-be-awesome Steel Cage Match.

Edited by Gordlow
?
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Is Mercedes on a full time deal as a wrestler? Or transitioning to training more nowadays? Kind of want Hayter to go over but can understand her losing if Mercedes is sticking around for a while. They seem to have put the Britt/Hayter squabble on hold for now.

5 hours ago, Leonidas said:

Is Mercedes on a full time deal as a wrestler? Or transitioning to training more nowadays? Kind of want Hayter to go over but can understand her losing if Mercedes is sticking around for a while. They seem to have put the Britt/Hayter squabble on hold for now.

I think they finally realized it was too similar to the MJF-Wardlow angle running at the same time. But if you notice in the backstage promos, she isn't doing the D-M-D.

Digging this line-up.  I hope, starting here, Marq Quen can start showing signs of his great potential again.  Swerve-Nese sounds fantastic!  Jamie Hayter-Martinez is outside of Hayter-Deeb potentially the best match this division has.  And looking forward to QT once again wonderfully performing his role for that big ol bearcat Keith Lee.  And always look forward to seeing Big Mark Henry get the inside scoop prior to the 'Main Event'!  

• Like 2

Okay show. I have no use for Shane Strickland*, Tony Nese and their Pretty Wrestling, though Swerve did throw some nice looking and stiff sounding punches. There were some good punches thrown all night actually. The best thing on hand was of course Keith Lee, and Marshall being a fool. 

* Dude one of your finishers is a front roll into a Flatliner. Cut that shit out. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

I was not expecting Darby vs Quen to be based around long-term body part selling, nor to finish with a Fujiwara arm bar!

Bullet Club:NJPW::DMD Club:AEW

For a moment there, I was afraid Keith Lee wasn't going to yeet anybody. 

Powerhouse's spinebuster was almost as impressive as Limitless' Biel. 

Tony Nese doesn't just have abs. He also has pecs and at least one bicep! That was a pretty f'n enjoyable pro wrestling match right there. 

This past week has given us a rich bounty of pro wrestling, overall. A big... thing, of riches.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So Shane Strickland needs to wrestle Jay White.  They command the ring the same way. That would rule.  I hadn't seen him since he was MLW champion.  He really polished his ringwork in the Fed.  Tony Nese is fucking great. He is world class.  Marq Quen looked good.  I had almost forgotten he was around.  That 450 to floor was nice.  I just KNEW Aaron Solo was there for one reason.  Hobbs vs Lee they should definitely build to.  That spinebuster was all kinds of awesome.  Jamie Hayter/ Mercedes Martinez was good, though it looked the best parts of the match were during the picture-in-picture.  I dug the Spider Suplex Into Cheating into A Lariat Finish.  I will not comment on Jamie Hayter;s pants.  YAY!  SO MUCH WRESTLING!  WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!  AEW~! AEW! AEW!

• Like 9

Keto Butcher!

I enjoyed Swerve vs Nese - very enjoyable pro wres though I agree that I don't like that rolling flatliner, which I think is a stretch even for wrestling physics. One thing I've noticed though is that the smarter guys are holding stuff back early doors which they will need later on. Kingston was getting by on the backfist and DDTs...now he uses the Northern Lights Bomb and Stretch Plum. So I imagine he'll rotate that out in favour of better stuff (including the JML) in later matches, or at least not base a match around hitting it and slot it in where it makes more sense.

The funny thing about Nese is that his biceps aren't really his strong point. He knows that ofc; it's good heeling in the tradition of Tenta and Regal...but he's still probably cried himself to sleep about it at least once.

SURREY NOW & THEN: John 'Earthquake' Tenta wrestled around world before  death 15 years ago – Surrey Now-Leader

Edited by RunningFromAmerica
  • Like 2

Shows was ok, it had some decent wrestling but nothing that I found particularly too exciting.

The highlight of the night was definitely Hobbs spine busting Lee, it made him look like an absolute star that little moment. Looking at you guys replies above I’m glad I’m not the only one that found this to be the peak of the night.

• Like 1

Quick thoughts:

Quen vs Darby: I'll have to write this up for Monday but I liked Quen's pace and focus. Always love Kassidy interacting with Sting since he's such a big fan. It was interesting that they did some stuff like the abdominal stretch BEFORE the PiP break which is stuff they should do now and again to break up the usual predictable format. The 450 was nuts. It looked like he bonked his head on the landing. If this was 2007 WWE, we'd see the finish in every opening package but it's 2022 AEW so it was just another move in just another match.

Martinez vs Hayter: Might have just been me but everything looked super credible here. I thought they had pretty good chemistry.

Lee vs QT: Hopefully they don't skip through Comoroto vs Lee to get to Team Taz vs Lee. I liked the Hogan-esque blocked punches in the post match there. I also liked everyone mocking the conducting thing though maybe it was a bit too much. Match itself was fine. QT did his job competently, including bumping huge for the shoulder block.

Nese vs Strickland: Strickland was less annoying than I thought he'd be. Some of the strikes looked good and I liked his fire when he was scrapping. I bought the throat selling. He still has some irritating flourishes and convoluted trips and rolls and twists and whatever else, but he mixes in enough sound stuff, and hits things cleanly enough that it's overall tolerable against the right opponent (like a Nese who can base for everything). I imagine against the wrong opponent, he'll be pretty bad though. The best spot in this was easily Nese kicking him in the corner when he was laying across the ropes and then catching him in a fireman's carry. I came out of this thinking I'd be fine watching Strickland against someone I like but that I'm in no hurry to see him against half the roster.

As an aside, I really thought that Mox/Danielson should have came down after Yuta/Penta to beat the crap out of the Best Friends for holding Yuta back and being a joke. I loved the Regal promo but I worry that it shifted things from "We are creating an academy of violence and doom where we will control all belts and all futures" to "Look at this dangerous new tag team." I am glad that they're still positioned as tweeners at least and up against Taylor/Yuta this week instead of Bononi/Nesmeth or something. Hopefully it's going to keep building.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

* Dude one of your finishers is a front roll into a Flatliner. Cut that shit out. 

What a wonderful world it would be without routinely confusing (who was struck on that exchange) Flatliners and the family tree of Spanish Flies.  Cute bullshit that ought to be forgotten.

That said, Swerve is alright with me!  Looking forward to seeing him rise up the ranks.  Glad I'm not alone in thinking Tony Nese is a fantastic serviceman.  So to QT!  And then we got 'Puh-puh-Powerhouse' with the Grand spinebuster.  Keith Lee is thus far being featured really well as a monster.  Still, he needs to stay close to Billy Gunn in the back.  Not looking for definition here, but he's clearly too heavy right now.  But again, he's doing well with what he has. 

Darby-Quen was exactly what I was hoping for.  Quen looked solid.  The 450 to the floor was a nice bit of insanity.  And that finish was perfection!  Maybe Darby Allin is the best wrestler!?! @DEAN?

I watched the FITE version of the Women's bout and dug it for the TV match it was.  I'd be into these two going a little longer.  I really hope Jamie gets elevated into the title picture before too long.  What an arsenal!!  Which reminds me, what an exciting presentation she brings as well!  Powerful!   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Darby-Quen was exactly what I was hoping for.  Quen looked solid.  The 450 to the floor was a nice bit of insanity.  And that finish was perfection!  Maybe Darby Allin is the best wrestler!?! @DEAN?

Oh, the best wrestler in AEW is Tony Nese!

• Like 2

I really liked the opener. It felt like it was dragging a bit at the start but instead it was just a well-paced match with one completely insane spot and a good ending. 

The woman’s match was also very good. Maybe a bit clunky at times the ending was great heel outside interference b.s. Britt rules doing things like that.

I really think Keith Lee would be better as a heel. I love his in-ring work but he comes off in promos like he could be his generation’s Bockwell as the smartest guy in the room who, also BTW, is a beast. But that was some nice stuff. Hobbs with the spine buster was great. Wish they slowly built to that a bit more but good stuff.

I hated the main event. Not from a match perspective as it was perfectly well-executed and Swerve does some really nifty weird things. But they just introduced him on a PPV, and he’s charismatic as anything. Give him a quick squash over someone in his debut, not a 15-minute 50/50 match with a guy who is there to put everyone else over.

• Like 2

The Idea of Hobbs and Keith Lee tearing through the low end of the roster like they're jet fighters in a Kaiju movie leading up to a knockdown, dragout brawl would be the best.

Also if Jade keeps on improving like she is, Her vs Hayter is going to be money.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, (BP) said:

This show cemented for me that Hayter and Darby are two of the most consistent performers in AEW, and that Hayter should be one of the goddam pillars.

The sooner Jamie drops Britt on that stack of dimes she calls a neck, the better. 

I hope they run it back with Martinez/Hayter. What we got was good, but I think they have another gear to hit.

• Like 4