DVDVR Message Board

2022 NCAA BB OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Drew Timme announced he'll be returning to Gonzaga for his senior year.  He joins Rasir Bolton and Julian Strawther as returning starters for Gonzaga.  Timme apparently didn't impress after a nice start at the NBA pre-draft camps.  I thought all along he should come back.  He'll make more money at Gonzaga than he would have as a pro AND he'll get better as a player.

• 2 weeks later...

Davidson's Bob McKillop is retiring after 33 years

His son Matt, who has been an assistant with the team the last 14 years and who played at Davidson, will replace him

Former Purdue star Caleb Swanigan has reportedly passed away at age 25. 

Dude was an absolute beast on the block in college and moved really well for his size, but didn't quite have the athleticism for the NBA.

• Sad 2

• 2 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Maybe they're hoping that weather has stopped existing since the last time they tried it?

Yeah - I was just thinking the same thing

This one will be in San Diego so I guess they think they are safe there

• 2 weeks later...

The Gonzaga/Michigan State Aircraft Carrier Game will officially be on the USS Abraham Lincoln

It should be noted that the USS Abraham Lincoln is currently on deployment and is "expected back in port later this summer"

So regarding all the possible things that could go wrong

Clint Overby, vice president of ESPN Events, said all parties will consider contingencies in case of bad weather or world events that would make the aircraft carrier unavailable.

He said returning to an aircraft carrier game was "just an option that presented itself. There was no grand plan with it. It was something that was made available in terms of a discussion and we explored it and found it to be viable. More importantly, we found teams who wanted to engage in that experience and were very understanding of the logistical challenges that could be presented."

• 3 weeks later...

Big-time announcement that Gonzaga & Kentucky will be playing a home & home starting this fall. Kentucky travels to Spokane for the first game, November 20. Major kudos to Kentucky for signing on for this series and coming to Spokane. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tabe said:

Big-time announcement that Gonzaga & Kentucky will be playing a home & home starting this fall. Kentucky travels to Spokane for the first game, November 20. Major kudos to Kentucky for signing on for this series and coming to Spokane. 

Aw, man.  Wish they were starting in Lexington.  I just got an offer that I may be able to run camera on some UK games this year. 

4 hours ago, Log said:

Aw, man.  Wish they were starting in Lexington.  I just got an offer that I may be able to run camera on some UK games this year. 

I'm stunned they're starting in Spokane. I may try to hook on as a volunteer at the concession stands since I won't spend the money to get a ticket. 

Edited by Tabe
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The NIT is leaving MSG (well most specifically the semis and finals)

2023 will be played in Vegas (Orleans Arena)

2024 will be played in Indy (Hinkle Fieldhouse)

Some screwiness out of the CAA, as North Carolina A&T has apparently fired MBB head coach Will Jones the day after classes started. Assistant coach Phillip Shumpert will assume the reins for now.

On 3/11/2022 at 5:31 PM, Zimbra said:

Missouri has fired Cuonzo Martin.

Probably unrealistic but I sure wouldn't mind Dooley coming home to KU as an assistant.

I got my wish!  Dooley is coming back to KU as a recruiting coordinator.

• 4 weeks later...

For all 3 of you that care, the Valley is moving to an unbalanced 20-game conference schedule to account for the expansion to 12 schools, with nine home-and-homes and two one-offs. Example, Bradley will play everyone home and away except Evansville (home) and Indiana State (road).