DVDVR Message Board

Reminiscing about board member of days gone by

11 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I do wonder what happened to Bryan Nimmo.  Vanished from here, Facebook, and a film review blog him and I both frequented a few years back.

I am gonna send you a PM. You aren't gonna be happy

7 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

Since I mostly post in the puro folder, especially back in the day, I miss Alan4L and Ditch. Alan4L is still very active with wrestling and he is as enthusiastic as ever. 

If you didn't see it - Alan was on the Way of the Blade podcast last month talking Kawada/Taue

New Way of the Blade with Alan 4L talking about Kawada vs. Taue in 1991

https://redcircle.com/shows/be34c05b-8483-4797-af55-5ec4bd254611/episodes/669a2171-7530-4dbd-9b37-34bd556c9995

3 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

If you didn't see it - Alan was on the Way of the Blade podcast last month talking Kawada/Taue

Alan is everywhere, but here. Just quit cold turkey one day. That kind of thing always fascinated me, like I've gone stretches without posting but I figure as long as I am watching wrestling I'll occasionally pop in. Mostly out of habit. Why would someone that had tons of posts over many years just suddenly one day never come back, while still writing/tweeting/podcasting about wrestling on a daily basis. Life is mysterious.

• Like 2

I know a lot of people don't like the message board formatting anymore

Ironically - as even evidenced here - a lot of folks love using Discord now which might as well fucking the old Green board

Clearly we are pioneers and aren't getting paid for it.

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I know a lot of people don't like the message board formatting anymore

Ironically - as even evidenced here - a lot of folks love using Discord now which might as well fucking the old Green board

Clearly we are pioneers and aren't getting paid for it.

To be fair with the one I setup there are some who hardly are on here but there's others who still frequent the board.  I haven't seen any former board members pop up there though.  I'm always happy to see anybody join but don't feel a need to advertise it I guess.

And unlike the green board I'm pretty chill with things but won't tolerate things getting out of hand.  I only had to ban one fool and recently had to step in to help settle an argument.  Other than that it's been pretty good.

I definitely miss the halcyon Puro days. Miss Ditch and the best of lists we used to do. Puro was kinda my life during that time, and I feel so far removed from it now. It bums me out.

9 hours ago, Lamp, broken circa 1988 said:

also someone else mentioned the "I HAVE A WORKOUT BIRTHDAY MEETING BUT TATU IS THE BEST FUCK JERRY LAWLER" guy

On 3/9/2022 at 11:47 AM, Log said:

Who was the dude that posted about ejaculating while bench pressing?

Was it ResidentEvil or WildPegasus something or other?

I was new on the board as he was hitting his stride. But he would say, "Hey, I gotta go workout but..." then write a paragraph of bullshit... then continue to reply for the next hour to people he was trolling. Every response ending or beginning with some variation of "well I'm off!" or "heading off to the gym." It was my first realization that there were some very peculiar people here.

I also remember the guy whose gimmick was cheerleading for the wrestler with the Rally Towel. Rick Ortiz. He didn't last long. Just like the actual wrestler. That might be the most niche gimmick poster I've ever seen.

• Like 2

Was it Ditch or KrisZ (or someone else entirely) that used to post with the upcoming shows and their cards for the week? I used to pour over that to get an idea which dvds I’d want to order later. 

• Like 1

Its funny to think that Snowden, Zellner, and Bix were all regular posters here before going to different mediums (or getting too important for DVDVR). Maybe its because I am old but I still prefer traditional forums to most social media options. At least all are still doing their thing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

No shoutouts for Rick O'Brien, please.

https://www.nbc12.com/2019/10/29/chesterfield-teacher-faces-child-sex-crime/

(Yes, he was convicted. What a pile of shit he is.)

Jesus wept, I was actually feeling kind of bad for how mean I usually was to him in the politics folder but fuck that guy.

15 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I miss Mookie, but it's awesome seeing where he's wound up.

Yep.  I always feel a little reflected pride when I see him doing so well with AEW.  Same with Dylan at IWTV and Barnwell at ESPN.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ryan said:

Ditch works for the god damned Heritage Foundation as a policy analyst. I'll leave it at that. If you know what that is, you already know what you probably think about it one way or another. End of topic.

Could have called that one 15+ years ago.  I think I did, actually.

2 hours ago, jaedmc said:

I definitely miss the halcyon Puro days. Miss Ditch and the best of lists we used to do. Puro was kinda my life during that time, and I feel so far removed from it now. It bums me out.

Man, total opposite here.  I couldn't be happier to be well shot of all of it.  I hit a point where I just saw the inherent self-destruction of the business as a completely avoidable slow-motion car crash, and I haven't been able to shake that feeling for a long, long time (going back to before Eddy's death, even).  Misawa's death only cemented the sensation.  It's probably in part why I have such negative opinions of the NFL with respect to their handling of CTE, though to be fair, the NFL is run by a bunch of dumb, greedy assholes who handle everything badly.  Being here at all is (nearly) the full extent of connection I still have to that time.

I also keep up with a few non-DVDVR types on Twitter, but I have kept up with them for literally 20 years now.  Mostly Dynamic A & Dave Walsh, who I know some of you know, and other people who are/were more Happy Wrestling Land-adjacent than anywhere else.  I guess they're still a site, too, but there really hasn't ever been enough going on there with respect to not-wrestling for me to interact with it on any meaningful level.

Edited by Contentious C

43 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Could have called that one 15+ years ago.  I think I did, actually.

Dream job for a neo-con, libertarian goofball.

31 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

Man, total opposite here.  I couldn't be happier to be well shot of all of it.  I hit a point where I just saw the inherent self-destruction of the business as a completely avoidable slow-motion car crash, and I haven't been able to shake that feeling for a long, long time (going back to before Eddy's death, even).  Misawa's death only cemented the sensation.  It's probably in part why I have such negative opinions of the NFL with respect to their handling of CTE, though to be fair, the NFL is run by a bunch of dumb, greedy assholes who handle everything badly.  Being here at all is (nearly) the full extent of connection I still have to that time.

I also keep up with a few non-DVDVR types on Twitter, but I have kept up with them for literally 20 years now.  Mostly Dynamic A & Dave Walsh, who I know some of you know, and other people who are/were more Happy Wrestling Land-adjacent than anywhere else.  I guess they're still a site, too, but there really hasn't ever been enough going on there with respect to not-wrestling for me to interact with it on any meaningful level.

I talk with Adam and Walsh all the time.

When all of the 80s and 90s AJPW and NJPW handhelds and new early 80s TV popped up off of Japanese Ebay three or four years ago, I reached out to the jdwes and ditches of the world in part to try to figure out what was really new and what wasn't and the big impression I got was that no one who had once lived and breathed that stuff really cared all that much anymore.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Oh, I just remembered the one interaction I ever actually had with Naimark.

So there was some thread on one of the old variations on the board about blood donation. I can't remember the specifics of why. I posted that it was important, especially for folks like me that weren't able to donate.

Naimark responded with "why's that, low testosterone in your blood?"

I was still presenting as male at the time, but I knew full well who and what I was, so I proceeded to laugh for approximately 49 minutes, then I replied with something like "no, I'm AB positive, but I'm sure low testosterone is probably a reason too". Which made me smile and likely sailed over everyone's head at the time.

23 minutes ago, Matt D said:

When all of the 80s and 90s AJPW and NJPW handhelds and new early 80s TV popped up off of Japanese Ebay three or four years ago, I reached out to the jdwes and ditches of the world in part to try to figure out what was really new and what wasn't and the big impression I got was that no one who had once lived and breathed that stuff really cared all that much anymore.

What is really funny is that JDW still posts on TOA (which is basically just him and Yohe having a conversation that really should just be over text message and Yakuza Rich of all people)