DVDVR Message Board

Reminiscing about board member of days gone by

iwarrior was never here, was he? That was just on wrestlingclassics, right? That was the only place I was signed up in before getting around here a while back. He was something else, if you were there at the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Maybe in the initial setup phase (though I don't think it was)

The first permanent color scheme was the green with yellow font

Yeah - I think I simply misremembered the early early board (where it was one long page of threads with no folders) as being blue, but the Internet Archive shows it in late 2000 as a green/pale yellow combo as you noted.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
16 minutes ago, Hamhock said:

Yeah - I think I simply misremembered the early early board (where it was one long page of threads with no folders) as being blue, but the Internet Archive shows it in late 2000 as a green/pale yellow combo as you noted.

That was how I remembered it, yes. Back in the days when I was a lurker and would post maybe once a year, if that.

Just look for his last several posts.  It's pretty obvious.  Reminded me of someone I knew (whose real name I know but whose posting name I've forgotten) who pointed the 'fite me' bit at me one night in IRC in front of about 10 of us. Can't recall if it was on the DVD chat or the HWL; it could have been either one.  "NAME AND ADDRESS" over and over again was his version of it; I honestly couldn't stop laughing then, though in retrospect it's probably the cringiest thing to happen *to* me on the webs.

Edited by Contentious C
  • Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 1:48 PM, RIPPA said:

What is really funny is that JDW still posts on TOA (which is basically just him and Yohe having a conversation that really should just be over text message and Yakuza Rich of all people)

TOA still exists? fucking how?

• Haha 3

Reading through this thread brings back so many memories. I discovered so much through this board many years ago... So many things I love ie: 90's AJPW, Virtual Pro Wrestling and Fire Pro, my go-to meatball recepie... I used the name WWE Owns My Name in 2004 when they were buying all the ECW IP's after releasing everyone. I can't remember what name I used before then, but I always lurked far more than I posted, the exception being the nifty e-fed thing that got revived every few years heh.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Snare on St. Anger said:

Reading through this thread brings back so many memories. I discovered so much through this board many years ago... So many things I love ie: 90's AJPW, Virtual Pro Wrestling and Fire Pro, my go-to meatball recepie... I used the name WWE Owns My Name in 2004 when they were buying all the ECW IP's after releasing everyone. I can't remember what name I used before then, but I always lurked far more than I posted, the exception being the nifty e-fed thing that got revived every few years heh.

Based on your current username and your old one, I can say that you are very very good at coming up with usernames.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Who was the MMA fighter on whose trunks we bought an ad for the board?  I always got a kick out of that.

I was trying to remember that a while back.  I remember he was a Shooto fighter.

10 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I was trying to remember that a while back.  I remember he was a Shooto fighter.

I did some googling and I'm pretty sure it was Gilbert Melendez.  Couldn't find a picture of the ad on his trunks but here's the DVD he did that inspired it:

tumblr_m9n55wEUEq1qic19lo1_500.jpg

E: Yep, Melendez vs Sato

16671.jpg

Edited by Zimbra
  • Like 3

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I always wondered if he ever came to the site and saw exactly what kind of nonsense he got himself sponsored by.

Yep. Tom Lawlor posted here for a long time. I'm not unconvinced that Joe Lauzon wasn't posting here as well since his good buddy was posting on here, but I can't figure out what his name would be.

There was one dude on here whose name I can't recall. Maybe it was Wild Pegasus? Anyway, I bought a bunch of early TNA tapes off of him and he took forever to send them to me. I think I reached out to him on a weekly basis to ask when he was sending them and it was always, oh, sorry dude, I'll send them tomorrow. Then a week would go by and the same crap happened. I finally got those tapes after a couple months.

Is goodhelmet still posting here?

On 3/10/2022 at 6:32 AM, RIPPA said:

A lot of people didn't stick around when we had the issue with server hosts, etc... and completely rebooted the site in July 2013.

Of the original list mentioned - throughsilver posted a little during the early days of the pandemic but hasnt been around in almost a year (with the caveat of how accurate the "Last Day Visited" number is)

Ganc is/was covering politics in Jacksonville, FL. He is still active on Twitter but again it is all political

throughsilver is the best guy. He's on my Facebook, looks very happy.

On 3/17/2022 at 2:55 PM, Swift said:

I miss FSW. He was a bit too dickish sometimes, especially to certain posters, but he was good for a laugh.

What was funny about FSW is he was completely abrasive on the board and in his posting, but if you ever had one-on-one interactions with the guy, he was actually really nice, non-combative and shockingly lacking in confidence. Back when I was running the annual movie polls, I shot him a PM and asked if he wanted to submit a ballot since he seemed to watch a lot of movies and it took a lot of cajoling to get him to agree to it because he didn't watch a lot of indie/art films and "didn't want to ruin our poll".  I remember specifically his #1 was Battle Los Angeles and he got all apologetic when it came up, then he was rather put off when "The Tree of Life" won the poll and said "I'm going to watch it, you assholes better not be wrong!" then came back and said that he'd loved it. Good times.

• Like 3

On 3/24/2022 at 12:29 PM, Zimbra said:

I don't think Goodhelmet's been around here in a bit.  Based on Naylor's twitter it sounds like they still hang out from time to time.

He posts occasionally posts some updates on Instagram - usually when he is doing family stuff

But yeah - I think he has moved on from the wrestling life since it has been about six months since he has been here or PWO.

The last time I talked to him I was thinking of buying one of the '80s comps for the holidays and he said to wait a month or two so I of course forgot to follow up. Regret that now for sure. 

EDIT: Then again I am still sitting on pretty much all of Portland so...

Edited by Curt McGirt