DVDVR Message Board

Reminiscing about board member of days gone by

I ran into Gonzalez in the early days of GTA Online. He was surprisingly a cool guy in conversation.

FSW was a complete keyboard warrior in that regard. Did everything he could to avoid being in the same lobby as anyone else from the board. Posted in the GTA thread constantly about what a GTA badass he was, and made damn sure none of us would ever be able to see if he was telling the truth.

• Haha 2

i'm going to make this post about an entirely different wrestling board, but it will be cathartic to me. That board has been rebooted a dozen times and i think it still exists in some form, but one too many forums outages drove me and a couple other guys away. I had already been lurking here for a couple years when all that went down. 

Blunted316 - this dude presented himself as MMA fighter Doug "the Rhino" Marshall when he was in the WEC (this was back when he had only had a few fights and i had never heard of him). He did this for a couple of YEARS. a few of us had messaged each other with serious questions as to the validity of that, but always let it slide. after the rise of facebook and other social media, he got called out, and up and disappeared. deleted his fb and everything.

OlympicHero316 - some MASShole that i got into plenty of arguments with online. If his email was his birthday, he was right around the same age as me but we didn't align on ANYTHING- wrestling, political, religious, comedy, movies, you name it, we were just total opposites. As it was a slow board, we crossed paths frequently.

Macho Man - a guy from England. i thought that was the coolest thing back around 2000, 2001. gone one day and missed since. have tried emailing him over the years but never heard back. sad.

Motorhead - heavy metal dude that had played in a number of bands, i remember he had a website or blog or something. we spammed the "guest book" portion of it (remember when that was a thing?), much to his dismay. He got mad at me when i referred to Motley Crue as "classic rock". to be fair, he was right on that one. 

Douglas - always came off as a snobby older guy. was probably not. hated when i called him "Dougy"

sink - i actually am still in contact with this guy (fb friends). he lives up in Minnesota, at one point i was stopping in the Twin Cities on vacation. asked if he wanted to meet up, but he couldn't because his "countertop guy was coming over". i'm pretty sure that was slang for something nefarious. 

5 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Speaking of JDW, he either recently deleted his Facebook or blocked me not sure which (I don't have any reason to think he blocked me, but... Shrug)

Looks like the former as he isn’t in my list either anymore

Knowing John’s leanings - I am not surprised he left FB

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 3:49 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Speaking of JDW, he either recently deleted his Facebook or blocked me not sure which (I don't have any reason to think he blocked me, but... Shrug)

He deleted his Facebook. 

• Like 1

I just dug through a few threads to try to remember the name of the guy who would always reply defending WWE during their endless layoffs and, after the Dark Side of the Ring episode, said he'd never seen Nick Gage but he judged him as a "lowlife."  Because I realized I hadn't seen him around in a while.   Anyway, it was "Eoae" and he hasn't posted in about four months.  Regardless, I hope he's doing alright.  He did post some stuff here and there in the Land of Confusion threads about being pretty bummed from time to time.

• Like 1

Ok, this is going waaaaay back.  So far back, that I'm not entirely sure it was even this board.

Somewhere I used to post had these two brothers who posted under the names Taxplex and LaParka.  I actually ended up going to a couple shows with them.  One in Evansville, IN and an IWA MS show (I think it was one of the Eddie Gilbert Memorial shows) in Louisville.  That would've been in 97 or 98.  Did this board even exist then?

13 hours ago, Death From Above said:

For all he talked about All Japan my main memory of JDW is his pioneering "I'm going to write so much text no sane person can be bothered to point out the 10 things wrong in it" style of winning arguments. Not my favourite.

JDW is a friend of mine but that absolutely perfectly describes a lot of his posts.  

• Like 1

Sometimes I wish there was a "hall of shame" for comments that got people banned. I know there are a million reason why it won't happen(and likely shouldn't as well), but its interesting to look at those various threads that turned into dumpster fires. . . 

• Haha 2

I loved the green board. It was my introduction to a whole new world of wrestling I was unfamiliar with (indies, puro, lucha, etc) and I look back on that timeframe fondly (had just started subscribing to the WON at the time too) but these days I'm less a fan of wrestling and more a fan of an entertaining TV show. I only watch Dynamite (and AEW PPVs; Rampage doesn't air on TV in Canada and I always forget to stream it) and just come on this forum every few days to catch up on wrestling news and maybe some film/TV discussion. I'm not sad about that, wrestling is just another form of entertainment to me these days.

I remember the Kaiju board. It was an awful place. I signed up to lurk there to read some of the IWC gossip (which was admittedly kinda fun) but was genuinely shocked at the overt racism on there, as well as some gore stuff (one of which is still seared in my memory) Not a nice place at all.

I miss FSW. He was a bit too dickish sometimes, especially to certain posters, but he was good for a laugh. I didn't know him IRL but he lived here in Calgary and I think actually worked in the mall near my house. I always see the "CM PUNK was FSW!" thing thrown around, and I can't tell if some people actually believe it or not so as someone who was there that night, I figure I'll tell the story. FSW famously didn't like CM Punk. One night, someone posted a tweet from CM Punk where someone had asked him "Who are you on the DVDVR board?" and Punk replied "FSW" which was funny. I clicked on the twitter account of the person who asked the question (someone named Bryan Mills) and not really being familiar with Twitter at the time, I started randomly scrolling through their posts just to see what the deal was and then started spotting some interesting things. The person was a Liverpool FC fan, also liked Southampton FC and had a thing for Anna Kendrick so I posted that the twitter looked suspiciously like FSW's profile as he was into all three things. Someone else ( @Death From AboveI think, as us Albertans were all online at the time given that it was late in the evening) pointed out that Bryan Mills is the name of Liam Neeson's character in the Taken movies, another thing FSW was into. Holy shit, we had just rumbled FSW's twitter account and he came on here and admitted it.

It was hilarious. So, Punk-hating FSW asks Punk a question about DVDVR, Punk replies that he's FSW to the actual FSW! What are the chances of that? So you have FSW sitting there in his bedroom, probably diddling himself with excitement, but unable to post about it because he doesn't want to draw attention to it as he doesn't want to out his twitter account. And it's also funny to think that Punk lurked enough times on DVDVR to know who his #1 hater was.

Anyone know what happened to FSW? Is he still online posting elsewhere? Still on Twitter? Re-registered on here at all in the intervening years?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I only used to post briefly on a previous version of this board with a Kawada and his food pic. I used to post on Puroresufan, Mr.MDK's FireProClub, Puroresu.TV, the VOW boards more instead. All defunct.

14 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

I only used to post briefly on a previous version of this board with a Kawada and his food pic. I used to post on Puroresufan, Mr.MDK's FireProClub, Puroresu.TV, the VOW boards more instead. All defunct.

The "There's a new fire pro game coming" hoax at FPC was one of the funniest/stupidest things I have seen online.  I still have no idea what that guy's endgame was supposed to be.

Listening to the Way Of The Blade podcast and discovering the secret DVDVRers has been interesting.

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

The "There's a new fire pro game coming" hoax at FPC was one of the funniest/stupidest things I have seen online.  I still have no idea what that guy's endgame was supposed to be.

Listening to the Way Of The Blade podcast and discovering the secret DVDVRers has been interesting.

If I remember that kerfuffle correctly, the endgame was "get Spike to see that people would be excited about a new game", because the Fire Pro community at that point had settled into the notion that Returns was the last game.

On 3/14/2022 at 9:42 AM, Technico Support said:

I just dug through a few threads to try to remember the name of the guy who would always reply defending WWE during their endless layoffs and, after the Dark Side of the Ring episode, said he'd never seen Nick Gage but he judged him as a "lowlife."  Because I realized I hadn't seen him around in a while.   Anyway, it was "Eoae" and he hasn't posted in about four months.  Regardless, I hope he's doing alright.  He did post some stuff here and there in the Land of Confusion threads about being pretty bummed from time to time.

I spoke to him a couple of days ago.  He's fine.  Says he just lost interest in the site and quit visiting.  Wasn't any drama behind his disappearance, so far as I could tell.  

• Thanks 1

If this were the 2002 version of the board instead of 2022 version of the board, we'd just think you were a socko account of his.  That you signed up the day before he last visited is surely a coincidence!

*looks around suspiciously to see if anyone buys that*

Well, I'll show myself out, then...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Contentious C said:

If this were the 2002 version of the board instead of 2022 version of the board, we'd just think you were a socko account of his.  That you signed up the day before he last visited is surely a coincidence!

*looks around suspiciously to see if anyone buys that*

Well, I'll show myself out, then...

Probably not a coincidence.  I had problems registering and Eoae contacted Rippa for me to straighten it out.

• Like 1

This has probably been brought up at some point, but was the board blue before it was green? I’m now 753 years old, so my memory isn’t as crisp as it once was.

2 hours ago, Hamhock said:

This has probably been brought up at some point, but was the board blue before it was green? I’m now 753 years old, so my memory isn’t as crisp as it once was.

Maybe in the initial setup phase (though I don't think it was)

The first permanent color scheme was the green with yellow font

It possible that you are thinking of the archive pages of the original board that we put up since those had a variety of colors

Example - http://www.deathvalleydriver.com/archivation4.html

• Like 1