DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/9/22

17 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Acclaimed needs to win the titles; I love them and the titles would exactly what they need. 

I was surprised Sammy lost but realized coming out of Revolution all 3 men's titles were held by "faces".  

Dark Order turning on Hangman? Some of the Dark Order (Johnny) are over as faces so does it split Dark Order? 

Loved every bit of the Regal promo. And yeah he short changed Mox big time. 

Curious to see long term how AEW uses PPV - is it the blow off or the beginning. It seems a bit of both right now

As Bowens rightfully says "Everybody LOVES The Acclaimed". Last night felt like a missed opportunity.

I think Dark Order is going to be split soon, I would  guess Silver, unmasked Vance, and Anna Jay to stay on the main program. If RoH is run as a separate thing, Cabana seems like an obvious guy to send there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Man, you look at the social media reaction and the number of likes for the “Is All Elite” graphic and what not, and you realize Jeff Hardy is the sneaky super-duper-mega-over top 5 most popular guy of his generation type dude, while not always (rarely) being in the main event. Like Jake The Snake in the 80’s. Rey Mysterio fits that mold too, but I think Jeff has even him beat. 

Basically I’m not sure Jeff isn’t the most popular non-permanent-main-eventer of the past 25 years 

Don't forget how he killed it in TNA as well. 

For a guy who has put on Jackie Gayda-level bad performances in the past, he's a hell of a victory story. 

29 minutes ago, JLowe said:

As Bowens rightfully says "Everybody LOVES The Acclaimed". Last night felt like a missed opportunity.

I think it might have been more harm than good having the Acclaimed anchor a division they are nowhere near the top of.  Bowens might be ready, but Caster is not quite (getting closer tho).  That said, I'd been kinda feeling that way with Jack/Saurus, but what a difference a few days make.  Luchasaurus has been more consistent recently than throughout his (at times patchy) AEW run, so kudos to the big guy.  Next champions really ought to reflect the high level of competiition.  I would suggest next up ought to be any of the following (and I'm probably missing somebody): Mox/Danielson, FTR, LAX, Bucks, Red Dragon, House of Black etc.  I think the Acclaimed r better off continuing to season for the eventual meaningful down the road title run.  It will happen, these are Tony's boys.    

I'd like to nominate for the AEW awards the Guevarra injury drama last night as the finest use of a pip commercial break.  They got me.  I had a friend wondering if it was truly an injury, and I couldn't be sure.  Mostly sure, but not 100%  And I'd like to pile on the Ethan Page crying love.  I think it's underestimated how much he's helped Scorpio with his current heel persona.  Ethan Page is going to be a top level star in this company some day.  

34 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That recent hour-plus shoot of just him talking held me rapt the entire time. 

Where on earth can I find this!?

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

Was watching an old Nitro and it dawned on me that the AEW booth is structured very similarly.

Excalibur/Bischoff/WCW Schiavone: play by play guy and straight man

Zbyszko/JR: Grizzled, often grumpy veteran analyst, focus on putting over the broader story

AEW Schiavone/Dusty: Voice of the fan, marking out over everything, hates dirty cheating heels (except Britt)

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, JLowe said:

As much as I would like to see The Acclaimed win titles, the double jump Doomsday Device that JE used to kill Max Caster was pretty awesome.

I am surprised they haven't already named it the Extermination Event or something.

I wasn't about JE holding the titles for a long time at first, but they show me something different every time they get into the ring and most of it is pretty good shit.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

Couple things I haven't seen mentioned:

Mox said something with his hand over his mouth to Regal twice.  Wonder what that was?

I love Wardlow's new twist on the bodyguard face turn.  It was basically, if you leave me alone, I'll not beat your ass.  No way MJF can just let it slide, so I'm sure there'll be shenanigans in the TNT title match next week.  I do like the idea that someone here threw out where MJF helps Wardlow in an effort to win him back.

I also like the underlying story with Sammy that his "craziness" finally bit him in the ass.  He's been ramping up his "I'm crazy" spots for a while and had success with them.  This time he didn't, and he paid for it.  Good long-term story there.

Also, Sting said something to Jeff Hardy that got a chuckle out of him.  Maybe told him he looked better than the last time they were in the ring together.*

*I actually don't know if that infamous match where Hardy showed up in "no condition to perform" and Sting shoot pinned him quickly was the last time they shared a ring.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Seeing the Jericho Appreciation Society shirt already on ShopAEW makes me want to see an angle where someone was ready to turn on his partner(s) and start a new faction, only for them to get the jump on him because they had a mole on the web team.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Seeing the Jericho Appreciation Society shirt already on ShopAEW makes me want to see an angle where someone was ready to turn on his partner(s) and start a new faction, only for them to get the jump on him because they had a mole on the web team.

I swear a couple years ago, WWE printed up shirts for a faction or tag team or something that lasted like less than a week.  I'm drawing a blank, but I swear it involved AJ Styles.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Log said:

I swear a couple years ago, WWE printed up shirts for a faction or tag team or something that lasted like less than a week.  I'm drawing a blank, but I swear it involved AJ Styles.

It was the AJ and Jericho team. And according to Jericho he had them printed just to swerve everyone about when the heel turn was happening (they’re obviously not going to do the turn tonight if they printed t-shirts).

Anyway, Jericho is much better as a heel and I think him having lackeys like 2.0 should hopefully make his segments more entertaining. The face stuff with him was honestly getting a little rough for me.

• Thanks 1

It's clear as day to me what's gonna happen with Wardlow and Scorpio next week, and I'm kind of shocked no one has commented on this possibility.

Scorpio will hang with him and not get dominated like everyone else. For the finish MJF is totally coming out during a ref bump, squaring up with Wardlow with a chair or the dynamite ring deal, then he's going to turn and pop Scorpio. Wardlow will reluctantly make the pin and win the title. And then MJF is going to enforce the clause he talked about months ago in Wardlow's contract. MJF gets any title Wardlow wins. So Wardlow beats Scorpio, and MJF is the new TNT Champion. Then you have an enraged monster on the chase while MJF throws all kinds of clever gimmicks at him because of the contract deal.

Scorpio unfortunately only gets a week long reign. But he can feud with MJF while Wardlow is being detained by all the hoops MJF is throwing at him.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

They're turning FTR face due to the Renee interviews and the fact they got some attention, right? That's what happened there?

Obviously the money here is for Renee to manage them and Mox and Danielson to target them because of it.

2 million viewers like magic!

• Like 5

I liked nearly everything on the show tonight. The only thing I didn't care for was whatever they're doing with Hangman and the Dark Order. I don't want to see Hangman turn on his friends or do a thing where the title has gone to his head and he leaves his friends that got him to that place behind. I know that's sort of a realistic thing where you forget the ones who go you to a higher place or got you through a tough time, but there's been such a closeness and such a huge amount of positivity to the Hangman and Dark Order stuff that it would be shitty to create any sort of dissention between them.

5 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Wow, good show!  Definitely a post-PPV, "let's kick off some new shit" show.

Number of promos where the guy cutting it almost broke down = 2

Number of promos interrupted by someone = 384

I hope Eddie Kingston bought Jeff Parker a steak after the show because that dude saved his life on that power bomb.

If Jericho is set on being a heel, he has to change his music.

Kingston is absolutely one of the best promos.  God damn.  

Lack of Sammy in the beatdown/Inner Circle breakup was weird.  I guess it'll be explained later.  Announcers weren't on the same page with TK regarding Sammy's vest and that was awkward.

I completely forgot The Workhorsemen were an actual team that's been together for a while.  I even just watched them challenge the Kings of the Black Throne for the PWG tag titles and didn't make the connection.  Getting old, bros.

Unannounced world title match?  Allrighty.  Great match, though.  I'm not into Cole/Page continuing like some WWE shit where a match ends conclusively but the feud keeps going, but it's just a thing to do for a bit while they set up the next storyline for the title.  Shit, just have Page beat tops 5's randos every other week instead.  You know, the guys who are like #4 or 5 and you know they just farmed wins on YouTube.  Remember Omega and Page defending the tag belts every other week at Daily's during the pandemic?  That shit was awesome.  More of that, please.

Andrade tells Matt he wants a boat, then warns him that he needs to wash his back and I'm just incredibly confused.

"The world title match didn't go the distance so we have a standby match!"  A million billion stars, chef's kiss, etc etc.

Jeff urgently rushing in to save Matt, but not so urgent that he can't sort do the Jeff Hardy Dance on the run, was god damn hilarious and I'm glad everybody noticed its ridiculousness.

Incredibly conspicuous not announcing Leyla's hometown.  Then JR awkwardly mentioned that she was from "Europe" and moved to New Jersey.

Leyla is only like a head taller than my 7 year old daughter and it's just weird to watch her because it freaks me out and I'm not completely convinced she's not a little person.

Decent promo by Wardlow but, as is the house style, I just kept waiting for the interruption.

Tay & Paige have a faceoff.  Horny on main JR mutters "I'm interested in that."  LOOOOOOOL

To steal a line I heard elsewhere, Paige's husband looks like if Florida was a person.  I'm surprised he could abandon the batch he had cooking to get to the show.

Harwood needs to trim that 'stache a bit.  He looks like Jake Manning.

I definitely didn't expect Scorpio to win the title, what with Wardlow challenging next week.  So MJF screws Wardlow, right?  MJF pulling some contract fuckery until it all comes to a head?

Andrade tells Matt to wash his back.   Lmao. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Also, is Pinnacle maybe the worst faction in AEW's short history? They got together as this Horsemen type group to fight the Inner Circle, then almost right after that feud ended you didn't see a whole lot of group interaction between all of them, Spears was just a dude to hit people with chairs, Wardlow is off to do his own thing, FTR fired Tully and look like they're turning face, and MJF doesn't seem to bring the whole group together a lot. 

• Like 1

I just watched the Regal promo. I thought it was really interesting. Regal was absolutely free to talk about his well-established relationship with AmDrag, and was also able to namedrop ROH along the way. 

But this hands are sorta tied with Moxley. He referenced their really awesome Florida Championship Wrestling feud. But that's such a tough thing to really explain. How many people even remember that feud to start with or watched any of it? And how much can they explain what happened if they don't want to reference the "other" promotion? 

Either way, this partnership rules so much. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Also, is Pinnacle maybe the worst faction in AEW's short history? They got together as this Horsemen type group to fight the Inner Circle, then almost right after that feud ended you didn't see a whole lot of group interaction between all of them, Spears was just a dude to hit people with chairs, Wardlow is off to do his own thing, FTR fired Tully and look like they're turning face, and MJF doesn't seem to bring the whole group together a lot. 

They killed the Pinnacle when the Inner Circle got all of their heat back immediately when they returned after the beat down, and Jericho put MJF’s head in a toilet. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

It's clear as day to me what's gonna happen with Wardlow and Scorpio next week, and I'm kind of shocked no one has commented on this possibility.

Scorpio will hang with him and not get dominated like everyone else. For the finish MJF is totally coming out during a ref bump, squaring up with Wardlow with a chair or the dynamite ring deal, then he's going to turn and pop Scorpio. Wardlow will reluctantly make the pin and win the title. And then MJF is going to enforce the clause he talked about months ago in Wardlow's contract. MJF gets any title Wardlow wins. So Wardlow beats Scorpio, and MJF is the new TNT Champion. Then you have an enraged monster on the chase while MJF throws all kinds of clever gimmicks at him because of the contract deal.

Scorpio unfortunately only gets a week long reign. But he can feud with MJF while Wardlow is being detained by all the hoops MJF is throwing at him.

Great idea but the issue is that one guy handing over a title to another guy severely devalues the belt.  I don't see old school fan TK booking something like that.  But I have been wrong before.  ?

Yeah I agree handing over a title devalues the title. But this isn't handing over a title. It's kind of just semantics. But essentially Wardlow is just MJF's proxy. He isn't handing over a title. By contract any title he wins, is a title win for MJF. So he's not handing over the title. Wardlow never holds the title. Him winning the match is MJF winning the title, just through contract law. A little high concept to explain, but that's where I think it's headed.

This isn't Andre selling the belt to DiBiase. This is MJF winning a title by picking a replacement to wrestle for him. It's just that part won't be explained until after the fact.

• Like 1

Just to add to that thought, the best presentation for it would be the second the bell rings it's announced the winner and new TNT Champion is MJF. And the ref grabs the title and hands it to MJF right away. Essentially all the people part of the company would understand that ahead of time, just Wardlow wouldn't. You have MJF celebrate on the ramp while Wardlow is confused as fuck in the ring and Tony & JR yell about what the hell is going on.

Then next week during an MJF celebration deal he explains it all.

• Like 1

The Pinnacle formed on this day, March 10th, 2021. 

I actually think it would be quite funny if MJF refused to accept his faction broke up, and kept trying to call meetings for them. Gets mad when himself and Shawn Spears are the only attendees. Like when Scott Steiner insisted the Main Event Maffia (sic) were still a thing, despite every other member having left TNA.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3