DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/9/22

I mean, he's just following in the footsteps of people like Jericho, Triple H, Randy Orton, Bryan Danielson, etc. They all carried both belts when they won unification matches and whatnot.

• Like 1

Overall, I loved the show. Had a very attitude era feel, in a good way. Every segment had some kind of "holy shit" moment, felt like most of the roster had something to do. Normally, I wouldn't want to compare AEW to WWE, but this show had that "Raw after Mania" vibe, back when that meant something 10+ years ago.

Nice foreshadowing on the Jericho turn by not having 2.0 hit him too hard early on. One of those things you could catch as a viewer, but didn't make P&P look like total idiots.

That Mox/Dragon match was a tremendous squash.

I can't believe the main event was how I found out that Sammy and the girl he proposed to in the ring are no longer together.

• Like 5

Since I missed the first half hour or so I went back and watched it just now. Dante/Page was a fine face vs. face match with an extremely complicated finish that was just meant to show that Adam Page will smash your dick in the dirt. The small Workhorseman stealing Danielson's moves was an invitation to murder while J.D. Drake looks like someone I can't place and will also take an incredible ass whooping. Then Regal came out (I caught the end of the interview last night) and even though it made him go over and fuck up the show his moment with Tony was beautiful. Then, you got the Regal Face at the end. Those eyes are the fear of God. Nobody can touch that. Nobody. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, GodzillaPerez said:

Ultimo Dragon proved the more belts you have, the cooler you look.

Well, Lyger with the J-Crown Ladies was the absolute coolest.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I can't believe the main event was how I found out that Sammy and the girl he proposed to in the ring are no longer together.

All of that from Wednesday actually got Tay a lot of hate online (well, more than normal) with fans calling her and Sammy out and thinking they know the story. Tay said that once they both started getting a lot of negative shit on social media, Pam (Sammy's ex) was the first person to reach out and check on them both. This has been your daily "social media was a mistake" reminder. There's even been people here (and another board I post on, and Reddit obviously) that give them both grief over all of that. The only thing I'm willing to give them shit for is getting each other's name tattooed on the other (but that's still less atrocious than Cody's tat).

Funny sidenote: Tay tagged Cody in a response, asking when he and Brandi are coming back so those two can resume getting most of the hate from the AEW fanbase online. ? Of course he replied with some super motivational shit, but that's less funny.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Log said:

*I actually don't know if that infamous match where Hardy showed up in "no condition to perform" and Sting shoot pinned him quickly was the last time they shared a ring.

Just to clarify since it's come up a few times, it was not. They were teaming together 9 months later.

6 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Does anybody have some Swerve match recommendations?  I've only seen a few NXT clips.  Thus far, I'm as impressed as everyone else with his fantastic presence.  

I recall loving this one when it happened. Badass match that felt star making for Starks at the time.

Also recommend any videos of his "Ain't Nobody" entrance.

Spoiler

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Casey said:

The only thing I'm willing to give them shit for is getting each other's name tattooed on the other (but that's still less atrocious than Cody's tat).

Y'know.... those were henna tattoos.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So, Jeff Hardy debut was spoiled for me on the main thread by people discussing his theme song, but it was pretty obvious when I Matt was voted out. I thought they were just going to talk about pulling their investments out of some rogue nation, or something, not voting someone out.

Wardlow giving MJF the opportunity to walk away and live is very big of him. Somehow, I don't see MJF not being a (limp)dick about it, but hey, that's just me!

FTR firing Tully? Does this mean they are leaving The Pinnacle as well? Wow, that leaves MJF all by himself...

What?

Oh, yeah! Spears. Ok, so that leaves MJF in a shittier position than being all by himself, then! Better?

Haven't seen the main event yet, but I suspect that Scorpio Sky may end up playing the part of Raven to Wardlow's Goldberg, if the title should change hands there.

JB & Luchasaurus beating The Pinnacle without Donkey Club getting involved, despite being in the audience was surprising.

Called Cole picking ReDRagon over Young Bucks, but that was obvious, unless he just changed his mind just because Bucks proactively declined?

• Like 2

I don't think it would be a wise look or smart decision to give Sky such a short title reign. Wardlow loses by MJF shenanigans, including the introduction of his newest bodyguard: Brian Cage. I see everyone jumping Wardlow (Spears, Page, Cage, Sky) and it still just barely being enough to cost him the W. 

I also see Tully cutting a promo along the lines of "FTR you want to talk about family? I brought a family that wants to kick your ass." Cue the Briscoes. 

I saw nothing wrong with Jeff deciding to do a little dance on the way to the ring. Man was excited in the moment. I was excited in the moment to see him. I may have also danced.

Happy and, more importantly, healthy Jeff Hardy is an awesome add; and that pop (and the views of his debut) should tell you that signing him was a wise decision. TK doesn't miss often. 

Speaking of no brainer signings, I am in the camp that could listen to Regal speak for hours and hours about practically anything. I think his addition to the roster both for an on air role and backstage will ultimately be one of the most important in AEW history. 

• Like 2

I really liked the Hangman booking here.  For once he was in the ring (as champion) with somebody he had more seniority than.  Through this lens, Adam Page gets a win and levels up in a different way than any of his other recent victories provide.  He looks bigger and stronger not just from the win.  But in his cultural (for lack of a better word). positioning portrayed on screen.  Hogan and Flair had this credibility in vast amounts. 

Plus it just plain good to get your champion on tv winning.  I’m reminded of the Clash match Flair had with Bobby Eaton.  Eaton had no business beating Flair for the belt.  But Eaton was so good (as is Martin) there was no way you’d book the match without him being elevated even in a loss.  It’s a good look for Hanger especially if they are planning on his title reign going long.

Well Jericho proves the haters wrong again with another reinvention.  Back in good shape for the first time in awhile.  He seems primed for what will probably be his last big run.  

Count me in on being confused by music rights usage.  How TNA overlooked using that Hardy’s music for years and multiple runs is mind boggling.  Not that it would have ultimately produced a better result for them overall.  Great pop for Jeff.

Tully getting mad that someone in the faction prioritizing family over career?  Was Ole watching?  That’s some fucking continuity right there.

I’m looking forward to being called a “dirty little toe rag” by Lord Regal.  Great promo and promising future for this trip act with Bryan and Mox.  Let’s squish some more noobs before they crush Jurassic Express.

AEW is a great show.  More.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Just quoting this so it's easy to find for next week's Dynamite thread. Carry on lol.

Holy shit I just realized I absolutely need to see MJF carrying a customized TNT belt with a Burberry pattern strap.

8 hours ago, Casey said:

Funny sidenote: Tay tagged Cody in a response, asking when he and Brandi are coming back so those two can resume getting most of the hate from the AEW fanbase online. ? Of course he replied with some super motivational shit, but that's less funny.

I don't know what was funnier about Cody and Brandi's replies, Cody being such a motivational cliche that you'd swear his second language was "bumper stickers," or Code Switching Brandi misquoting 50 Cent.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Shartnado said:

FTR firing Tully? Does this mean they are leaving The Pinnacle as well? Wow, that leaves MJF all by himself...

What?

Oh, yeah! Spears. Ok, so that leaves MJF in a shittier position than being all by himself, then! Better?

FTR firing Tully is a rare case where I want that 'heel pretending to be at odds with another heel just to reconcile in order to double cross the face' swerve that Russo would always use. FTR will probably be alright as faces but I'd rather see them as heels. 

Now that Wardlow is out, I want a backstage segment where all of the people Shawn Spears hit with a chair after Wardlow's matches get their payback. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Brandon Bones said:

I really liked the Hangman booking here.  For once he was in the ring (as champion) with somebody he had more seniority than.  Through this lens, Adam Page gets a win and levels up in a different way than any of his other recent victories provide.  He looks bigger and stronger not just from the win.  But in his cultural (for lack of a better word). positioning portrayed on screen.  Hogan and Flair had this credibility in vast amounts. 

With the definitive wins against Archer, Cole and Darius he has this new vibe of a Dominant champion which he didn't have when facing Kenny and Bryan. I'm liking it, he's the honorable and confident (but not too cocky yet) champ.

Jericho and Kenny were arrogant assholes and Mox was his usual savage/force of nature type or character so I'm enjoying the chill dominat champ that Hangman is portraying (again, ala good guy Bret).

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Both got tattooed "Henna"? Who is she? 

My friend's younger sister, for instance. Pretty common name over here.

...Wait, it could be a joke. In reference to getting henna-tattoos, you know?

Edited by Shartnado
...could it be...

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Let’s will that Spears angle into existence.  

My manifestations have been off target, so I'll try and think of a way to make this happen by wishing for something similar.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

The small Workhorseman stealing Danielson's moves was an invitation to murder while J.D. Drake looks like someone I can't place and will also take an incredible ass whooping. 

JD Drake is the quintessential 80s southern territories upper mid-carder, but he kind of looks like a Sheepherder/Bushwhacker.

I love JD Drake.  He's done very well with this big hoss enhancement role.  Especially considering, or assuming, he was a dominator on the Indies - or at least bashing more than selling(?).  I'm a fan of the Wingmen, and their new shirt is one of the rare occasions that I've considered checking out prowrestlingtees.  I was also pleased to see the often praised Work Horsemen get a shot on Dynamite.  Kinda hoping the new ROH gives them a fresh new home.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

MJF, Spears, Brian Cage and Scorpio Sky is a good heel group, add Ethan Page and it’s perfect.

Factions are a necessity when tv time is as limited as aew’s. Maximizes the amount of talent onscreen at any given moment.