DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/9/22

I just watched the Regal promo. I thought it was really interesting. Regal was absolutely free to talk about his well-established relationship with AmDrag, and was also able to namedrop ROH along the way. 

But this hands are sorta tied with Moxley. He referenced their really awesome Florida Championship Wrestling feud. But that's such a tough thing to really explain. How many people even remember that feud to start with or watched any of it? And how much can they explain what happened if they don't want to reference the "other" promotion? 

Either way, this partnership rules so much. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Also, is Pinnacle maybe the worst faction in AEW's short history? They got together as this Horsemen type group to fight the Inner Circle, then almost right after that feud ended you didn't see a whole lot of group interaction between all of them, Spears was just a dude to hit people with chairs, Wardlow is off to do his own thing, FTR fired Tully and look like they're turning face, and MJF doesn't seem to bring the whole group together a lot. 

They killed the Pinnacle when the Inner Circle got all of their heat back immediately when they returned after the beat down, and Jericho put MJF’s head in a toilet. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

It's clear as day to me what's gonna happen with Wardlow and Scorpio next week, and I'm kind of shocked no one has commented on this possibility.

Scorpio will hang with him and not get dominated like everyone else. For the finish MJF is totally coming out during a ref bump, squaring up with Wardlow with a chair or the dynamite ring deal, then he's going to turn and pop Scorpio. Wardlow will reluctantly make the pin and win the title. And then MJF is going to enforce the clause he talked about months ago in Wardlow's contract. MJF gets any title Wardlow wins. So Wardlow beats Scorpio, and MJF is the new TNT Champion. Then you have an enraged monster on the chase while MJF throws all kinds of clever gimmicks at him because of the contract deal.

Scorpio unfortunately only gets a week long reign. But he can feud with MJF while Wardlow is being detained by all the hoops MJF is throwing at him.

Great idea but the issue is that one guy handing over a title to another guy severely devalues the belt.  I don't see old school fan TK booking something like that.  But I have been wrong before.  ?

Yeah I agree handing over a title devalues the title. But this isn't handing over a title. It's kind of just semantics. But essentially Wardlow is just MJF's proxy. He isn't handing over a title. By contract any title he wins, is a title win for MJF. So he's not handing over the title. Wardlow never holds the title. Him winning the match is MJF winning the title, just through contract law. A little high concept to explain, but that's where I think it's headed.

This isn't Andre selling the belt to DiBiase. This is MJF winning a title by picking a replacement to wrestle for him. It's just that part won't be explained until after the fact.

• Like 1

Just to add to that thought, the best presentation for it would be the second the bell rings it's announced the winner and new TNT Champion is MJF. And the ref grabs the title and hands it to MJF right away. Essentially all the people part of the company would understand that ahead of time, just Wardlow wouldn't. You have MJF celebrate on the ramp while Wardlow is confused as fuck in the ring and Tony & JR yell about what the hell is going on.

Then next week during an MJF celebration deal he explains it all.

• Like 1

The Pinnacle formed on this day, March 10th, 2021. 

I actually think it would be quite funny if MJF refused to accept his faction broke up, and kept trying to call meetings for them. Gets mad when himself and Shawn Spears are the only attendees. Like when Scott Steiner insisted the Main Event Maffia (sic) were still a thing, despite every other member having left TNA.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

I would think it more likely MJF makes Wardlow give him the title shot

MJF has already wrestled two matches in the past month, he's met his quota until April.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hayabusa said:

Tay isn't lying, iirc I don't recall Paige holding any championships

Wasn't she burying AEW and pro wrestling in general a few months back? Something about not taking money to do fake wrestling or somesuch?

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Wasn't she burying AEW and pro wrestling in general a few months back? Something about not taking money to do fake wrestling or somesuch?

That was Kayla Harrison. Note that I have no idea who Kayla Harrison is, but I remembered it was someone else from America's Top Team that had shown up on AEW, so I googled it.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BrianS81177 said:

I would think it more likely MJF makes Wardlow give him the title shot

Disagree. They put the title on Scorp so they could have him do a face vs. heel match against Wardlow, not so they could have him do a heel vs. heel match against MJF.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AxB said:

FNbwE_dXEAAY18U?format=jpg&name=small

Yes, but they're also saying the same thing about William Regal. For whatever reason, Reddit keeps recommending me r/SCjerk posts, and they were mocking his promo.

In other news, the Jeff Hardy debut video on YouTube is already at 1.3M and trending at #3. Watching it back, with headphones... that pop is fucking insane.

• Like 1

Fun show which felt a bit weird by having two title matches come out of nowhere.

Jericho and Kingston was a nice segment which broke down a bit at the end. The JAS name sounds terrible but Jericho usually has a good track record with his storylines so let’s see where it goes, seems he’s been aiming for a “Sports Entertainer” thing lately. IC is finally dead.

Dante  getting a world title shot is the most random thing I’ve seen them do lately, at least give it a one week build or something. Just felt so strange. Fun short match and nice words by Hangman at the end.

I thought Cole was hinting at picking Silver and Reynolds as his partners since they’re friends in BTW. The little segment with Hangman and Dark Order hinted at that too. “I got a bear appointment”.

Regal walking out with Danielson is one of the greatest sights ever and he came off so smooth on the mic. Ilove how Bryan stands in back, smiles and claps and Moxley looks like a fucking animal or the Wolverine pacing back and forth always looking ready to be unleashed

“He is the wrestler that I should have been, he is the perfect wrestler”. “You became everything. I could never be”. Amazing praise by Regal and you could see Bryan was a bit genuinely taken back by it.

Lmao at Jeff kinda stopping mid run to do his dance while his brother is getting murdered.

I love that assisted Doomsday Device move that JE won the match with. It’s a bit contrived but sweet looking. They busted it out at the PPV and I thought I’d be a perfect tag team finisher and here we are tonight.

Surprised a bit at the title change but make sense since they’ve been selling that Sammy is just burnt out after so many crazy matches lately. Now I wonder if Wardlow destroys him in under a minute for the title or MJF/Spears fuck him over.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

That was Kayla Harrison. Note that I have no idea who Kayla Harrison is, but I remembered it was someone else from America's Top Team that had shown up on AEW, so I googled it.

Her biggest claim to fame was being the judo woman that tossed Murr around on an Impractical Jokers punishment. You know, a legit sporting endevour that wouldn't sully the reputation she has built up over time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

C'mon.  Matt's been a dick for a while now.  Jeff was probably letting him take a few extra shots to teach him a lesson.  Like, if my brother is going around being an asshole (I don't have a brother), and he gets in a fight.  I'd let the guys get a couple shots in so that he maybe isn't such an asshole in the future, but then I'd jump in.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Log said:

C'mon.  Matt's been a dick for a while now.  Jeff was probably letting him take a few extra shots to teach him a lesson.  Like, if my brother is going around being an asshole (I don't have a brother), and he gets in a fight.  I'd let the guys get a couple shots in so that he maybe isn't such an asshole in the future, but then I'd jump in.

There is a Hannibal burress bit that is this very thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, droneking said:

He better be wacking people with a Chapman Stick.

And using Funk Fingers behind the ref's back like the Sheik's pencil.