DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/9/22

19 minutes ago, ChrisPBacon said:

Rewatched Regals speech, and I am now convinced, Mox is being played, and Regal/Danielson will somehow turn on him causing a rematch and maybe, hopefully, probably adding Samoa Joe in the mix.  Regal spent 15 minutes putting Danielson over and 15 seconds giving Mox his roses.  No coincidence detected.

Yup. Hopefully Cesaro ends up with Danielson and Regal and they eventually win over the minds and hearts of the young bois Danielson mentioned by name over the next few months. While 2.0 with Jericho feels right, Garcia belongs with Regal and Danielson as dragon in training.

• Like 6
  • Haha 5

Show was kind of all over the place tonight. Wasn't helped by a half-asleep listless crowd.

I know this was Wardlow's first real promo, and it was important to see what he could do. That said, it was not good, and he just ended up rambling far too long. With a guy like Wardlow he should NOT be going out there reciting long speeches. All he needed to say was this:

"MJF and I, we're done. Our relationship was a means to an end. I'm not stopping at the TNT title either. I'm going to devour this whole company."

Like when Goldberg started actually cutting promos in WCW, they kept them short and sweet. Wardlow started drowning out there and mixing up his talking points. He got totally lost.

Jeff Hardy's debut was kind of predictable and by the numbers. 

The Eddie/Jericho segment was the best one of the night. Not sure about JERICHO APPRECIATION SOCIETY, but I do like Jericho turning on Santana and Ortiz, which he was technically justified to do. They turned on him first.

Tony Khan's go-to thing is a backstage promo, someone gets interrupted to set a match up. It's gotten a bit tiresome and repetitive. This week it was Tony Nese and Swerve. It's just jarring when they suddenly have Nese doing a promo run-in on Dynamite.

Not sure where they are going with the Regal thing. I mean I like that Regal's there, but Danielson's whole issue is that he hates the AEW roster and the young AEW talent. Now it seems Danielson, Moxley, and Regal have formed this shoot stable of authentic brawler/shooter babyfaces. I just felt like Regal's promo was too sentimental when the message should've been "This roster is soft. This generation is soft. We're going to teach them what real wrestling, what real violence means. Sammy Guevara cares more about his vlog, his pathetic action figures and lugubrious social media than being the face of this company. We're not here to play with dolls, Tony. We're here to rip people apart."

• Like 1

I hope:

- There's unfinished business to be resolved with Jeff Hardy and Sting (and maybe to a lesser extent, CM Punk). Have Sting wary of Jeff encroaching on his turf as the mentor to Darby, with Punk chiming in stirring shit along the way. Sting and Punk vs the Hardys with Darby caught in the middle while increasingly being courted by Andrade?

- Agree that Arn should be managing FTR. 

- Disappointed that P&P end up in a nothing someone else's feud especially with 2.0 (or that logically why would Garcia choose Jericho over Bryan?). Hope LAX show up in a week or two to even the odds. That'd be a decent Blood and Guts.

- Think they've left themselves some options to work with the TNT title match. Wardlow can win and you do Sammy/Tay vs Scorpio/Paige, or you can have MJF screw over Wardlow, and do the mixed tag for the belt with the tired trope of the female heel being the weak link being reversed and Paige saves Scorp's title by destroying Tay.  Or you could even have MJF take the shot against Scorp and it turn into a schmozz instead. I think the second makes the most sense long term, but not sure Wardlow should be dropping more falls. Spears causing Wardlow to lose, and doing a little mini program while MJF sells the beating of the dog collar match could work.

- I really don't want to see more Cole as #1 contender, but unless Miro is healthy, I'm not sure there's many other options that aren't going too early. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

- I really don't want to see more Cole as #1 contender, but unless Miro is healthy, I'm not sure there's many other options that aren't going too early. 

Hangman vs the House of Black could be fun

Great show, loved the Jericho angle, will be a bit disappointed with every episode until Claudio appears though, preferably with Chris Hero (while we're willing things into existence and acting under the assumption that Coach Tony somehow has time to read the board still).

Haven't seen anyone else mention the possibility of Pac as the next challenger to Hangman, which seems to me like the easiest explanation for his random match with Yuta out of nowhere. Bolster his record for a few weeks while they finish the Cole angle, have him challenge Hangman to reestablish him as someone who's competitive at a main event level, then some House Of Black involvement to set up a blowoff match with Malakai. (Then Malakai beats him, challenges Hangman, wins the title at the next PPV, but that's the biased take of someone who wants a guy who once came out to an Agoraphobic Nosebleed song to reign over everybody.)

Edited by SturmCRF
  • Like 3

I imagine Daniel Garcia chose Jericho over Bryan since Jericho was AEW champion for half a year and Bryan couldn’t even beat Omega, and lost to Hangman twice. Jericho dominated the company since the beginning, Bryan though? Not so much. 

• Like 1

Wow, good show!  Definitely a post-PPV, "let's kick off some new shit" show.

Number of promos where the guy cutting it almost broke down = 2

Number of promos interrupted by someone = 384

I hope Eddie Kingston bought Jeff Parker a steak after the show because that dude saved his life on that power bomb.

If Jericho is set on being a heel, he has to change his music.

Kingston is absolutely one of the best promos.  God damn.  

Lack of Sammy in the beatdown/Inner Circle breakup was weird.  I guess it'll be explained later.  Announcers weren't on the same page with TK regarding Sammy's vest and that was awkward.

I completely forgot The Workhorsemen were an actual team that's been together for a while.  I even just watched them challenge the Kings of the Black Throne for the PWG tag titles and didn't make the connection.  Getting old, bros.

Unannounced world title match?  Allrighty.  Great match, though.  I'm not into Cole/Page continuing like some WWE shit where a match ends conclusively but the feud keeps going, but it's just a thing to do for a bit while they set up the next storyline for the title.  Shit, just have Page beat tops 5's randos every other week instead.  You know, the guys who are like #4 or 5 and you know they just farmed wins on YouTube.  Remember Omega and Page defending the tag belts every other week at Daily's during the pandemic?  That shit was awesome.  More of that, please.

Andrade tells Matt he wants a boat, then warns him that he needs to wash his back and I'm just incredibly confused.

"The world title match didn't go the distance so we have a standby match!"  A million billion stars, chef's kiss, etc etc.

Jeff urgently rushing in to save Matt, but not so urgent that he can't sort do the Jeff Hardy Dance on the run, was god damn hilarious and I'm glad everybody noticed its ridiculousness.

Incredibly conspicuous not announcing Leyla's hometown.  Then JR awkwardly mentioned that she was from "Europe" and moved to New Jersey.

Leyla is only like a head taller than my 7 year old daughter and it's just weird to watch her because it freaks me out and I'm not completely convinced she's not a little person.

Decent promo by Wardlow but, as is the house style, I just kept waiting for the interruption.

Tay & Paige have a faceoff.  Horny on main JR mutters "I'm interested in that."  LOOOOOOOL

To steal a line I heard elsewhere, Paige's husband looks like if Florida was a person.  I'm surprised he could abandon the batch he had cooking to get to the show.

Harwood needs to trim that 'stache a bit.  He looks like Jake Manning.

I definitely didn't expect Scorpio to win the title, what with Wardlow challenging next week.  So MJF screws Wardlow, right?  MJF pulling some contract fuckery until it all comes to a head?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It was a full WWE run-in. Music? Check! Still doing the entrance moves before coming in the ring? Check! His attacks looked like RVD on his latest returns, where there is no force behind anything. 

Edited by MoeCristyV.1.6
  • Like 5

Wardlow's promo was a bit rambly but still classy.  Cool of him to express gratitude to MJF for giving him an opportunity, despite how things turned out.  I can also appreciate Wardlow's face turn being about no longer wanting to be a stooge that helps others achieve their goals at his expense.  I am looking forward to see how the Pinnacle deals with this betrayal as well as the firing of Tully Blanchard by FTR.  If this gets us one step closer to FTR vs. Briscoes, I'm in.

Yeah, Jeff Hardy stalling his run-in long enough to do the Hardy fingers dance was kinda dumb.

Red Velvet prevents Leyla Hirsch from clobbering Thunder Rosa with a turnbuckle rod, but couldn't come to ringside to provide Willow Nightingale a distraction or at least some encouragement last week when Leyla was trying to snap her arm off?  I call bullshit.

Good to see them put the TNT strap on Scorpio Sky since he has been there since Day One-ish.  Not sure what would make for better television:  MJF screwing over Wardlow in the TNT title match on Rampage or Ethan Page jumping Scorpio Sky in the post match to get the next title shot.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6

Gotta say that 20 years ago, I didn't predict Scorpio Sky would be main-eventing on primetime. And last night, I didn't think he was a lock to win the title. LOVED how he stepped up though. A TKO should almost always be able to finish a match. And that breakbreaker, bro... didn't Sammy do something equally idiotic after sticking his tongue out and proclaiming to be loco in the ladder match vs Cody? Oh well, a 630 is now clearly a crazier way to go through a table. Now we know, guys! Yyeah...

Thunder Rosa needs to get injected with some sort of evil dentist serum that reacts badly with her system and turns her rabid, because X-23 Thunder is the only real Thunder. She's a terrible dancer.

Regal came to make us all cry last night. Ease up, Lord; we're with you!

But where was Moxley when Eddie was getting brained by a demolition expert? Did their tag-team contract expire?

edit - also, Darby staring down Jeffrey for making them look like morons almost covered for things. He wants the Charismatic Enigma like yesterday! Sting kinda looked at him like he remembers yesterday as well. That was cool.

Edited by Horatio
  • Like 3

Man, you look at the social media reaction and the number of likes for the “Is All Elite” graphic and what not, and you realize Jeff Hardy is the sneaky super-duper-mega-over top 5 most popular guy of his generation type dude, while not always (rarely) being in the main event. Like Jake The Snake in the 80’s. Rey Mysterio fits that mold too, but I think Jeff has even him beat. 

Basically I’m not sure Jeff isn’t the most popular non-permanent-main-eventer of the past 25 years 

• Like 8

Jeff Hardy dancing for a second while making a save is both on brand and priceless. Shame on the haters. Darby now having two dads and there being tension is a really fun storyline. 

• Like 12

4 hours ago, GuerrillaMonsoon said:

- Disappointed that P&P end up in a nothing someone else's feud especially with 2.0 (or that logically why would Garcia choose Jericho over Bryan?). Hope LAX show up in a week or two to even the odds. That'd be a decent Blood and Guts.

Was a Bryan offer ever actually on the table?  Jericho-Garcia does seem like a strange pairing.  2.0-Jericho on the other hand is just perfect.  

3 hours ago, SturmCRF said:

Haven't seen anyone else mention the possibility of Pac as the next challenger to Hangman, which seems to me like the easiest explanation for his random match with Yuta out of nowhere. 

Great idea.  They do have a history.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

I dunno, Dante is a bit too spectacular to be a heel, he doesn't have the flashy dickishness that makes Sammy work as one.

Garcia with Jericho is perfect from a character motivation standpoint. He's vicious and willing to scratch and claw his way over anyone to get to the top, but he's just fought Danielson and been defeated by a legend at his peak. in Jericho he has a legend past his peak, who he can use to propel him up the card, then turn on at less personal risk than an American Dragon, but similar reputational benefit.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Red Velvet prevents Leyla Hirsh from clobbering Thunder Rosa with a turnbuckle rod, but couldn't come to ringside to provide Willow Nightingale a distraction or at least some encouragement last week when Leyla was trying to snap her arm off?  I call bullshit.

Maybe she was having a bowl of quinoa during the Willow distraction.

12 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Also…William Regal is less than 2 years older than Chris Jericho! I mean, what?

So the dude was in his mid-20’s in those WCWSN days with elite character work and bad ass matches with Finley and whoever else. That’s incredible!

Regal probably had 10 years experience by thar point.

• Like 1

Why aren't the Fully Qualified Wrestling Writers crying symbolic tears for the casual fans, who were utterly nonplussed at Jeff Hardy using entrance music from earlier in his career?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I only watched until before PAC vs Yuta (how amazing was that they booked a standby match, since the opener didn't go to full 60?!? Fucking aces!) but firstly, Dammit Jericho! So this time you're smart enough to name your group in a way that there can be NO ambiguity? Smart, I must admit.

Title match was also really good but you knew it would lead to something else. But more Cole? I don't know about that! He'll team with ReDragon next week, just watch. And Young Bucks totally think it was going to be them.

There is something going on between Hangman and Dark Order! Man, this may not be pretty.

That Regal interview tho!!!

So far, very good times! Too bad that last minute work schedule changes leave me not seeing the rest until Friday evening. Trying not to spoil anything for myself. So a lot of this stuff may have been already pointed out a million times by others.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Also…William Regal is less than 2 years older than Chris Jericho! I mean, what?

So the dude was in his mid-20’s in those WCWSN days with elite character work and bad ass matches with Finley and whoever else. That’s incredible!

Regal had an unfortunate 40 year old bod at a young age. So did Dustin, but his dad being around covered it in a way that Regal acting like the Grey Poupon guy couldn’t.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Jeff Hardy dancing for a second while making a save is both on brand and priceless. Shame on the haters. Darby now having two dads and there being tension is a really fun storyline. 

Rescue first, then finger dance celebration to theme music when you are standing tall after the heels flee.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

That theme was available and they never used it in Impact, right? Most LOLTNA stuff in ages.

It would have been forgivable had Spike not been using it in station IDs/bumpers during Impact itself. I was oddly excited to hear it, I have to say.