DVDVR Message Board

Rampage - 3/4/2022

Three way was good. A lot of that was due to the underlying story and the characters at play. Some of the "Guy moves out of the way at the last second so other guy can do something" type spots got a little old but you could believe it to a degree given the talents involved.

Had to watch PiP so I missed big chunks of the most important parts of Christian and Lee matches. Both seemed pretty good though. Always nice to see Drake out there. Both guys knew exactly how much to give in the circumstance. If Lee had just caught Drake without taking some of his stuff first it wouldn't mattered as much. Christian and Page had the smart counters down like you'd expect. Was one cut off here Page raking Christian in the back of the head? That was weird.

The Serena thing is such a cheat since it lets them have a tiny woman's match on one of their shows each week but it highlights Serena and had a good, satisfying story beat here so you can't complain. That they go to it every week is a clear sign that it's a crutch though.

• Like 2

The three way was just nuts - the interaction between Sammy and Darby with Andrade being the receipts was really unique. The Coast to Coast with Sammy jumping over Darby - really cool spot. Darby diving under Sammy - great visual.  Andrade taking the other twos entire offense made him losing not look bad. I am not a fan of 3-ways as it feels played out but this one was really great.  And it setup Revolution. 

• Like 2

That three way was great. The creativity was off the charts. Best Triple Threat I've seen in forever. And that crowd was hot. Into the three way and Keith Lee like crazy. This is exhibit A for why live Rampages need to be an every week thing.

Also it needs to be said, Alex Abrahantis is the most cringe thing in all of pro wrestling right now. Even before he started dressing like a kid on Halloween. Dude does not fit with Penta and Fenix at all, other than he can speak the same language as them. He's nerdy and his be-popping high energy does not fit. It's like he won a fan raffle to get the spot. ESPECIALLY with Pena doing the dark shit he does not fit. It's not an association organic to the characters. It's lame and I wish he would stop being paired with Death Triangle at ringside. You want the dude to translate, fine have him be the one interviewing them and do the Penta says deal. It's subtraction by addition because the whole stable looks less cool with him out there.

• Like 3

That opener was great.  I kind of want Darby and Sammy to either be the Rock/Austin, Bret/Shawn of AEW.  Two guys who are kind of always rivals even if they're both faces, both heels, or in bitter feuds that have nothing to do with each other.  Those two guys should fighting for the same spot in perpetuity.  

JD Drake needs to be on TV more.  I know a lot of people disagree, but The Wingmen still make no sense to me.  I feel like Cezar Bononi and Ryan Nemeth seem like they could be a team that makes sense, but Avalon and Drake are like when someone has a car with 3 different hubcaps.  Peer Avalon and Anthony Green are made to be a tag team.  They can be the Heavenly Bodies 2022, where they are pretty boys in their own minds.  If Brock Anderson has a future, which is debatable, I'm pretty sure it's as the muscle in a tag team.  How about put him in a team with JD Drake, who can be take him under his wing to teach him the southern tag team ropes.  Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

I'm glad Shida is back, and I like the feud with Deeb, but that feud has been going on for a long ass time.  It would be one thing if it seemed like one of them is getting higher up the card, but they're kind of in the same exact place they were when it started.  AEW's biggest issue right now is that the women's division is Britt Baker, whoever she's feuding with, Jade Cargill and a clusterfuck of everyone else.  Thunder Rosa has felt more important than everyone else for a while now, but that is because we all kind of think she's the one to dethrone Baker.  I honestly don't know who would be considered next in line after Sunday.  No one else has enough momentum to feel like they deserve a title shot, or are in feuds that seem like they are never ending.  I kind of wish that the Deeb 5-minute challenge ended with a young lesser known woman surviving the full 5-minutes.  It would be the best way to debut a new woman and make her feel like a player in the division from day 1.  I guess I'll have to be happy watching Deeb and Shida stretch the shit out of each other, which is always a good time.

Once again, Ethan Page and Scorpio Sky are the most underutilized people on the roster.  I feel like they only exist to be high enough on the card for it to mean something when someone higher on the card needs a win.  We've seen Christian in ladder matches since 1999, do we really need to see another one?  What's a better story, Christian being in a ladder match that there is no chance he's winning, or Ethan Page being in a ladder match that would put him in opposition of his tag team partner if he wins?  Both Scorpio Sky and Ethan Page are too talented to never have anything to do.  They are on TV a lot, but when was the last time they were in a program that felt like it was focused on them not their stupid manager?  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Best looking tower of doom spot ever, Punk and Jade both dropping F-bombs, and Deeb's look of disgust as she yanked the "smart" jobber off the apron all made this show for me.

Serena was absolute gold in that match and that segment. 

My favorite part of the show was Eddie's promo. Burying the inside baseball references was music to my ears, and I love it when he just unintelligibly mocks/thhhbbbbbts something.  I died when he lined up next the security guards before the segment with Jericho on Dynamite. He just takes the piss out of EVERYTHING.

• Like 3