DVDVR Message Board

Most Violent Lucha Matches?

Thomas Bugg

When I was doing ring crew at a Lucha show in Phoenix not too long ago, in the main event a guy named Perrush-K wound up winning the match and the title, but in the process bled buckets. Yeah, it was real fun cleaning up the ring afterwards ? So we started talking about Muta scale matches, and the usual suspects came up (Heavenly Bodies vs Thrillseekers, Eddie Guerrero vs JBL, etc). But this young 20-year-old kid told me about this match that I'm posting here

Maybe I'm way late to the party, but I never knew that Luchadores could get downright violent like this! I mean, I read a lot of history and all, but I've never seen it until now. And I gotta say, the selling in this match is Valentine levels of believable. So now I wanna see more, dammit! DVDVR, please help me to find more good stuff like this.

• Like 1

It's not a bloody one, but Santo vs Casas from 97 was a wildly stiff and violent match. But yes, there's a ton of awesome lucha bloodbaths that span the decades from Pirata Morgan/Satanico to Black Terry/Wotan from a few years ago.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/4/2022 at 2:20 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Well you should probably start with the best.

Anyone know the source for this version as I’m still a physical media person. I’d never actually seen this version, the one I have from Barnett years ago is dark and washed out. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

@Curt McGirtI've never seen the MS1 vs. Sangre Chicana match so thanks for sharing the link!

@Thomas BuggThat Blue Demon Jr vs. Dr. Wagner Jr is such a bloodbath but it's very, very good!

The legendary Atlantis vs. Villano III mascara vs mascara from March, 17 2000 match is one of my favorite matches ever. It's bloody. It tells a great story and the action itself is just so, so awesome!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On the topic of the Villano III vs Atlantis mask vs mask match…I shared the match with a friend of mine and they liked it but they also asked about the context of match and the history of the feud, especially the singles matches the two had in 1999 against each other over the CMLL World Light Heavyweight title.

I don’t know much about the whole history between them as my knowledge of Lucha history is pretty bad. But just was is the context of the match and exactly how heated was their feud? And I’m guessing Villano hoisting Atlantis on his shoulders at the end of the match was a respect thing?

• Like 1

I don't think anything tops MS-1 / Sangre Chicana, and Villano III / Atlantis is another really good shout, but I am pretty partial to this Santito / LA Park match as well. Santo hits a goddamn GUSHER, but both of them end up just absolutely covered in blood. All white outfit on Park is a dead giveaway of what we are getting, and man oh man do they deliver.

• Like 4

On 6/12/2022 at 12:17 PM, onelegbrynn said:

On the topic of the Villano III vs Atlantis mask vs mask match…I shared the match with a friend of mine and they liked it but they also asked about the context of match and the history of the feud, especially the singles matches the two had in 1999 against each other over the CMLL World Light Heavyweight title.

I don’t know much about the whole history between them as my knowledge of Lucha history is pretty bad. But just was is the context of the match and exactly how heated was their feud? And I’m guessing Villano hoisting Atlantis on his shoulders at the end of the match was a respect thing?

V3 and Atlantis had been feuding for years. The previous year's Anniversary show had a parejas increibles match with Niebla/Shocker vs Atlantis/V3 where the losing team would have an apuestas match... everyone "knew" Atlantis/V3 would lose and have their battle for the masks, but a funny thing happened on the way to the Forum and they kept the feud hot for a whole year longer until 2000.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

V3 and Atlantis had been feuding for years. The previous year's Anniversary show had a parejas increibles match with Niebla/Shocker vs Atlantis/V3 where the losing team would have an apuestas match... everyone "knew" Atlantis/V3 would lose and have their battle for the masks, but a funny thing happened on the way to the Forum and they kept the feud hot for a whole year longer until 2000.

Thanks for the info and for the match link! Now I have something new to check out tonight!

• 5 months later...
On 6/16/2022 at 8:49 AM, Pete said:

What's the story you allude to, behind switching up the apuestas?

• 11 months later...

I think it was one of those "We don't want the fans to come in, knowing who's going to win the big matches, because, why would they come?" Kinda like what WWE did one time, when they had basically telegraphed Shawn Michaels winning the Royal Rumble to get the Undertaker, only to pull a swerve and get there through another method.

• 1 month later...

There was an awesome mano a mano match (I think) between two younger guys in IWRG a year or two back that had a total of six moves but was a gorefest and jaw-dropping good. It's in the BLOODSUCKING FREAKS thread somewhere. I can't remember the participants at all, and if you put "IWRG mano a mano" into Youtube you get literally a thousand matches, all of which are probably just as gory. 

• 1 month later...