DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/2/22

One more thing on MJF. As great as the Punk segment was and that was perfect.. he then has a great backstage segment with Wardlow to further their storyline.. 

Has anyone ever had two great segments on one Dynamite? Lol. 

MJF should be the next champion. 

Sorry, Cole. Pinnacle is better than The Undisputed Era 2.0.  And you know it...

• Like 1

Just now, The Man Known as Dan said:

IWTV already has the right for CHIKARA, as well as IWA-MA and CZW, which were the other major players. PWG is very unlikely to sell, unless TK goes absolutely crazy with an offer. Shimmers library might be gettable, not sure the offer Prazak would want.

And Highspots blah blah PWG. Yeah, but I imagine these rights are pretty fast and loose. 

Look, I want him to go to Hawaii TV stations and find 70s TV and convert the rest of the Houston footage and offer his talent for WWE documentaries to be able to buy the Omni footage they’ll never release but I was trying to think of some perfect combo of footage that would move some sort of needle. 

• Like 5

As someone who wants to throw out three boxes of VHS tapes, I'm thrilled that Tony bought ROH. As someone more invested in the continued financial health of AEW, I hope he was able to argue down Sinclair's batshit asking price.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

IWTV already has the right for CHIKARA, as well as IWA-MA and CZW, which were the other major players. PWG is very unlikely to sell, unless TK goes absolutely crazy with an offer. Shimmers library might be gettable, not sure the offer Prazak would want.

Highspots Network just did a new deal with PWG to air their shows on a (somewhat) quicker turnaround, too. It's probably pennies compared to what TK would offer, but Super Dragon really obviously doesn't care about money and just wants to be left alone and promote how he wants to promote.

And to correct myself earlier - SHINE is owned by WWE now, since they acquired WWNLive a few year backs. That also rules out FIP. SHIMMER and RISE are up for grabs if Prazak and Allison Danger are interested (and if TK is).

Tony Khan REALLY needs to now buy IMPACT!  Maaaan, I was so ready for the Briscoes to enter the battle royal after the Khan announcement.  TK should promote Captain Shawn Dean from booking Dark and Elevation and put him in charge of ROH.  The Daniels/Danielson match was good.  I was awaiting the Greatest Moonsault In The World and they incorporated it into the finish!  Top Flight was fun but I've been digging Dante Martin as a singles wrestler.  Is Darius the Booker T of Top Flight?  It was still a battle royal so I was UNIMPRESSED but was waiting for the Briscoes to show up.  The Thunder Rosa/Britt Baker tag match was kind of a wreck but Rosa did get over her feeling of hate- especially after the pin, so it was successful.  Jamie Hayter is the best wrestler in AEW?  The CM Punk/MJF angle is entering Barry Windham turning on Dusty Rhodes1988 NWA territory.  That was fucking awesome.  I wish they didn't have the Wardlow segment because MJF just got to a different level of heel and they go back a step with that.  YAY!  AEW RULES!

• Like 6

Bix on twitter connected the MJF angle to Aesop's fable about the old man and the viper. With MJF claiming he's a snake, that's really good stuff. And yeah, Bix also mentioned that this doesn't negate MJF's promo from last week but provide context into why he's a scumbag. Not gonna lie I loved the hug and it was pulling on my heartstrings. MJF is a special, special talent and CM Punk with all the history here has just given space to one of the best stories the company has done if not the outright best. We'll see how it concludes, for now at least, Sunday. Signs certainly point towards the Wardlow stuff coming to a head. 

• Like 4

On to the actual show.

Everything about that opener ruled. Bryan Danielson might be the best television wrestler alive. Props to Christopher Daniels for rising to the occasion. Also, one day I hope to be as excited about anything (besides a clean Young Bucks loss) as Uncle Tony is about the professional wrestling. The Moxley promo after was aces, too. As an aside, he's inspired me to quit drinking, and I feel as much better as he looks like he does.

I like tag team wrestling. I like battle royals. Top Flight was really great. But holy shit do P&P, FTR, and Best Friends deserve better than to be vessels for this interminable shit with Adam Cole and his lumpy friends. Again, the instinct to build your show around guys you beat into the dirt when they were on the other channel is beyond my comprehension. Particularly when there is nothing remotely interesting about O'Reilly and Fish. Can't wait to watch the jacksons and red dragon overshadow one of the company's brightest young stars with their self-indulgent nonsense. Hopefully they do the thing where they cost each other the win, but I won't make the mistake of underestimating the jackson's desire to constantly remind the audience that there is one tag team in AEW that matters. That postmatch thing where Jurassic Express came out was interesting, because Jungle Boy had a look of genuine concern on his face. Either he was doing a great acting job or he was trying to remember whether or not Cody took that golden shovel with him. He better pray Cody did, or there's a good chance he'll be on the receiving end of it. Metaphorically.

What makes it even worse is that this show also had this absolutely flawless MJF/Punk segment. Good god was that everything that is right about pro wrestling. Perfectly paced, pitched, and delivered. It feels like they're trying to make MJF more vicious, and CM Punk is the right guy for that. This feels to me like they're getting MJF ready for Hangman. If that's the case, they're doing it properly. How can you have the agile booking mind to lay that out and then also allow the Jacksons to do what they do every time folks start to get interested in other tag teams?

The women's stuff didn't hold my attention. I'm at the saturation point with Britt Baker. She's done an admirable job with the women's belt, but it's time to move on for a while and let her and Jamie Hayter do the female version of what Wardlow and MJF is gonna be.

Also, Wardlow is going to be a STAR. If he isn't already. Extend that dude now. 

The main event was fine. Adam Cole is undeniably over, but I can't figure out why. It must be because he comes off as a good dude in interviews and on twitch, because for the life of me I can't pinpoint a single thing he does better than good. I hope when I qualify for social security I look as good as Bobby Fish does. 

Revolution is a great show on paper. I'm cautiously optimistic that TK will have the good sense to keep the belts off the guys who led the other show straight into the ground. Or the Jacksons. I'm excited for the show. Truly. On it's worst day AEW fulfills my thirst for pro wrestling a thousand times better than WWE has in years. I just want it to be even better.

Oh, and I'm not gonna "say the thing" anymore because the short guys on this board get offended by the phrase "vanilla midget."

I'm kidding. Mostly.

Edited by just drew
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

One more thing on MJF. As great as the Punk segment was and that was perfect.. he then has a great backstage segment with Wardlow to further their storyline.. 

Has anyone ever had two great segments on one Dynamite? Lol. 

MJF should be the next champion. 

Sorry, Cole. Pinnacle is better than The Undisputed Era 2.0.  And you know it...

I can't disagree with this right now. MJF is just on fire and the battle royals have me yearning for an FTR/ReDRagon feud. 

A battle of who is the bigger asshole between Cole and MJF? Sign me up for that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DEAN said:

TK should promote Captain Shawn Dean from booking Dark and Elevation and put him in charge of ROH

That's what I half jokingly said Cody was going to end up doing to my friends the other day. TK buys ROH and Cody books it. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Good on CM Punk buying Bryan Danielson's shirt.

I loved that Punk and MJF both wore white to enhance ALL THE BLOOD!  That's LA PARK vs El Hijo del Santo thinking.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, just drew said:

On to the actual show.

Everything about that opener ruled. Bryan Danielson might be the best television wrestler alive. Props to Christopher Daniels for rising to the occasion. Also, one day I hope to be as excited about anything (besides a clean Young Bucks loss) as Uncle Tony is about the professional wrestling. The Moxley promo after was aces, too. As an aside, he's inspired me to quit drinking, and I feel as much better as he looks like he does.

I like tag team wrestling. I like battle royals. Top Flight was really great. But holy shit do P&P, FTR, and Best Friends deserve better than to be vessels for this interminable shit with Adam Cole and his lumpy friends. Again, the instinct to build your show around guys you beat into the dirt when they were on the other channel is beyond my comprehension. Particularly when there is nothing remotely interesting about O'Reilly and Fish. Can't wait to watch the jacksons and red dragon overshadow one of the company's brightest young stars with their self-indulgent nonsense. Hopefully they do the thing where they cost each other the win, but I won't make the mistake of underestimating the jackson's desire to constantly remind the audience that there is one tag team in AEW that matters. That postmatch thing where Jurassic Express came out was interesting, because Jungle Boy had a look of genuine concern on his face. Either he was doing a great acting job or he was trying to remember whether or not Cody took that golden shovel with him. He better pray Cody did, or there's a good chance he'll be on the receiving end of it. Metaphorically.

What makes it even worse is that this show also had this absolutely flawless MJF/Punk segment. Good god was that everything that is right about pro wrestling. Perfectly paced, pitched, and delivered. It feels like they're trying to make MJF more vicious, and CM Punk is the right guy for that. This feels to me like they're getting MJF ready for Hangman. If that's the case, they're doing it properly. How can you have the agile booking mind to lay that out and then also allow the Jacksons to do what they do every time folks start to get interested in other tag teams?

The women's stuff didn't hold my attention. I'm at the saturation point with Britt Baker. She's done an admirable job with the women's belt, but it's time to move on for a while and let her and Jamie Hayter do the female version of what Wardlow and MJF is gonna be.

Also, Wardlow is going to be a STAR. If he isn't already. Extend that dude now. 

The main event was fine. Adam Cole is undeniably over, but I can't figure out why. It must be because he comes off as a good dude in interviews and on twitch, because for the life of me I can't pinpoint a single thing he does better than good. I hope when I qualify for social security I look as good as Bobby Fish does. 

Revolution is a great show on paper. I'm cautiously optimistic that TK will have the good sense to keep the belts off the guys who led the other show straight into the ground. Or the Jacksons. I'm excited for the show. Truly. On it's worst day AEW fulfills my thirst for pro wrestling a thousand times better than WWE has in years. I just want it to be even better.

You think I won't post the GIF again?

A great night of and for professional wrestling.  The announcement met the criteria.  A lot of wonderful opportunities opening up for a lot of worthy talent.  Very excited to see how they structure this, and where they land it on TV.    

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, DEAN said:

I loved that Punk and MJF both wore white to enhance ALL THE BLOOD!  That's LA PARK vs El Hijo del Santo thinking.

Wearing white should be mandatory if there's going to be bloodshed. It's like in a Street Fight, wrestlers must wear street clothes, preferably jeans with knee pads over them.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

So Tony now has access to sizeable amounts of footage featuring Kevin Owens/Steen, el Generico, Seth Rollins/Tyler Black, AJ Styles...

Plus Davey Richards!

paw1.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I'd much rather see CM Punk vs. MJF or Dr Britt Baker vs. Thunder Rosa main event Revolution 2022 over Adam Page vs. Adam Cole. It's about time the women headline a PPV and this is the right match to do so.

Come on now. How can anybody watch that dog shit of a tag match Britt and Rosa put on tonight and say it should main event? That was so disappointing. No heat, sloppy execution, and it completely fell off the rails to the point the commentators had to comment. 

Meanwhile, the first exchange between Cole and Page was fanfuckingtastic.

Also... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Two-Three Months Ago: "Man, this CM Punk-MJF thing is hot, but they're just throwing bombs at each other. They gotta save something to build the feud with. they're going to burn out and we'll lament what could have been"

(needle on the record)

Did they save something to build the feud with?

Oh F*ck yes they did.

I know we say this a lot, but I don't know how they're going to top this feud. Both in terms of the blowout match (How does any feud live up to that level of build, and the skillful blend of "Kayfabe/Shoot" in a payoff match?) and "How the hell are we going to top this feud with either of them? Where can they go that it wouldn't seem like a let off?"

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Come on now. How can anybody watch that dog shit of a tag match Britt and Rosa put on tonight and say it should main event? That was so disappointing. No heat, sloppy execution, and it completely fell off the rails to the point the commentators had to comment. 

Meanwhile, the first exchange between Cole and Page was fanfuckingtastic.

Also... 

Matches can fall apart so should that stop a combination of which main event? I'm no Adam Cole fan either so I'd rather see one of the two matches I mentioned go on last than Page/Cole.

Edited by The Natural