DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/2/22

3 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Don’t want to be the guy but what is ROH right now save for the video library (nothing to sneeze at, sure) and, let’s look at that press release… the production equipment? Crockett, at least, got Eddie Gilbert.

I would imagine they would at least try to bring in Gresham and the Briscoes. Really, it’s a name brand they can use as there NXT, and also you get the tape library to go with it.

• Like 3

Tony buying ROH is exciting news. With the right people in charge this could be a fantastic thing for all involved. ROH being AEW's NXT/house show platform lets the promotion can stay afloat and green/underutilized people in AEW can have somewhere else to work and gain experience. Do we end up getting the long-awaited Briscoes/FTR match there?

The rest of the show was quality as well. I'm not thrilled about The Young Bucks winning but I guess this match is going to be a vehicle for starting the Young Bucks/Red Dragon feud. It was good to see Top Flight back as a unit and both guys got to look strong. Darius looke

Amdrag/Daniels was a nice throwback match even if the outcome was obvious.

I wasn't as high on last week's MJF interview as most people, but this was a fantastic followup.

It's been a while since I've looked forward to a PPV this much.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

cut to Sunday where Hangman Page has yet to free himself from being taped to the ropes

Dude I remember when Cena beat Batista in a last man standing by taping his legs together around the ring post I was hoping Raw would with him still like that the next night, haha.

Really dope seeing Danielson and CD go at it as a capper for the RoH announcement but dammit Daniels does not follow the Code of Honor how do you mess that up!

That Punk/MJF segment, might be the best promo Punk's ever cut, and for the sudden but inevitable betrayal from Max there I hope Sting whispered to Punk "Bro even I saw that one coming..." 

Really liked Hangman breaking out the purple bandana again that while's not officially in Dark Order that everyone's still got each other's backs when it counts. 

If Cage/Page (.... Christian/Ethan) is for the last spot, wondering if that means a joker/surprise entrant? 

Man, even after All Out and Full Gear, AEW keeps bringing the goods with the major shows, I'm soooo stoked for Sunday

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

That Punk/MJF segment was fucking phenomenal. 

MJF using "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled" like Punk did when he won the ROH title was a great touch. :::chef's kiss:::

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Didn't think it was gonna happen until I saw AEW was running a Dynamite from the UMBC Arena/RoH home base.

RoH is either the big batch of content you need to start a VOD thang or a secondary show that you can exclusively offer on HBO Max, I guess? And obviously a sub-brand you can use to keep your gigantic roster happy, run an invasion angle with in a year. Lots of jokes about Cody booking it but I'm not counting anything out these days.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Don’t want to be the guy but what is ROH right now save for the video library (nothing to sneeze at, sure) and, let’s look at that press release… the production equipment? Crockett, at least, got Eddie Gilbert.

They have at least 3 standard definition cameras. You could really upgrade BTE.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

I'll echo everything that has been said about ROH. They're a good addition to AEW's video library if they go the streaming route, and pair that up with maybe CyberFight, and that's a lot of content. On the other hand - it kind of sucks that ROH is yet another in the long line of companies to be swallowed up by a bigger one, but, also - fuck Sinclair Broadcasting, so I'm happy for this one. I hope TK doesn't try to book ROH and AEW, while still keeping his other football and soccer jobs. He's turning into VKM in front of our eyes, folks!

Edited by Casey

They already have a developmental. It’s called Dark.

I’ll say this. If he also buys the PWG, SHIMMER, and CHIKARA libraries (can they really be worth that much? Really?), that’s most of his core audience covered and he’s got himself a streaming service. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Casey said:

I'll echo everything has said about ROH. They're a good addition to AEW's video library if they go the streaming route, and pair that up with maybe CyberFight, and that's a lot of content. On the other hand - it kind of sucks that ROH is yet another in the long line of companies to be swallowed up by a bigger one, but, also - fuck Sinclair Broadcasting, so I'm happy for this one. I hope TK doesn't try to book ROH and AEW, while still keeping his other football and soccer jobs. He's turning into VKM in front of our eyes, folks!

When he first started mentioning CD, I thought he was going to say that Daniels would be the showrunner for ROH as a nice promotion from talent relations. Totally agree with you - that needs to be delegated to somebody that isn’t TK.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gordlow said:

I got a little choked up when Dragon and Daniels started their match off with a handshake.

That might have been the most coherent and entertaining battle royal(e) that AEW has done. Great return for Darius!

The Punk/MJF thing was note perfect. Couldn't have been done better. Punk really tapped a gusher there, as well.

Was the Punk vs Raven feud in ROH? I honestly don't remember. If so: This feud might be a good way to get people to sign up for Tony's ROH streaming service, since it definitely harkens back...

They did a good job using the tag matches to set up the title matches for the PPV.

And maybe to set up Wardlow for a heroic turn at some point during the dog collar match!

Anyone not excited for Revolution at this point?

@Gordlow

The Punk/Raven feud was indeed in ROH.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

RoH is either the big batch of content you need to start a VOD thang or a secondary show that you can exclusively offer on HBO Max, I guess? And obviously a sub-brand you can use to keep your gigantic roster happy, run an invasion angle with in a year. 

He'll be accused of copying Impact!

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I’ll say this. If he also buys the PWG, SHIMMER, and CHIKARA libraries (can they really be worth that much? Really?), that’s most of his core audience covered and he’s got himself a streaming service. 

Super Dragon won't sell, I'm almost positive on that one. Even if he has Excalibur in his ear. I don't care about CHIKARA, but oh man, if they somehow get SHIMMER, SHINE and RISE... oh my god, yes. Day one subscriber. Hire Dave Prazak while you're at it.

2 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

When he first started mentioning CD, I thought he was going to say that Daniels would be the showrunner for ROH as a nice promotion from talent relations. Totally agree with you - that needs to be delegated to somebody that isn’t TK.

I hear that Cody Rhodes guy is a free agent. Didn't he always wanna be a booker of a territory?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

guessing that the ROH purchase doesn't include AEW being able to air something on the Sinclair/Bally's networks to help fill a little programming since all the Sinclair RSNs won't be getting baseball for awhile?

(probably enough off-brand old man tennis to help fill some of the programming holes about to emerge on RSNs)

The acquisition of ROH appears to be heading for either an AEW streaming network or a partnership with WB's HBO Max service.. 

Either way seeing all the classic ROH footage upgraded to HD will be great. Tony won't skimp on the content either we will get everything I am sure of that. 

They can produce documentaries for Bryan, Punk, Samoa Joe, maybe Seth Rollins if he ever jumps ship etc..

It certainly has value. 

On the second part of this..  will ROH be another brand.. I would say so. AEW has a massive roster. I am not sure how TV deals would shake out but at the very least it'd be online available 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Matt D said:

IWTV already has the right for CHIKARA, as well as IWA-MA and CZW, which were the other major players. PWG is very unlikely to sell, unless TK goes absolutely crazy with an offer. Shimmers library might be gettable, not sure the offer Prazak would want.