DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/2/22

9 hours ago, Log said:

I have to think the ROH purchase is, first and foremost, about the video library.  I am salivating at the idea of having all of those ROH shows from '02-'07 (or so) somewhere at my fingertips for streaming.

As much as AEW is portrayed as a descendant of Crockett/WCW, I see it more as the culmination of what ROH started in '02.  ROH back then was basically, "Hey, what if we had some matches like we see on those tapes from Japan?"  You know, "wrestling" instead of "sports entertainment".  AEW is that style on a big stage.  

I remember back in about 2005 people where upset that TNA was trying to be off brand WWE instead of ROH with money. AEW is AEW/PWG with money

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Another thing MJF could do is add injury time to Wardlow's contract just to keep him under his thumb longer for no reason.

Listen, right now the "90 day no compete" is the biggest heel in wrestling. Why not use it?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Along those lines I genuinely wonder if the August PPV will be called All In or All Out this year. Obviously All Out was a riff off of the original getting as close as they could legally. But for all intents and purposes All In should be the brand name for it. It was the spark that started AEW. But TK has also shown to be pretty sentimental and prideful, would he want to scrap the All Out name? Jericho was crowned the first AEW World Champion at All Out, not All In. Will be interesting to see, at least to me.

All In-N-Out.

Double Double match. 3X3 and 4X4 matches. Animal Style match.

Maybe cross-promote with Cracker Barrel.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

21 hours ago, The Natural said:

Tay Conti needs to wrestle in her Judo gi vs. Jade Cargill and defend Judo's honour.

MJF using Punk (using Kaiser Soze) for that program,

Can we get Jade using "Terry Funk ain't wear no mouthpiece!"

2 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Youre insinuating Jade knows who Terry Funk is.

Bryan Danielson is pseudo training her and making her watch British wrestling, so I think you might be off the mark here in talking about who she may or may not know of from the past.

• Like 2

Perfect go-home show top to tail.

The best thing about AEW is you know what you want them to do, and goddamit, they do it. It’s like everything we have been deprived of in US pro-wrestling for nearly 30 years.

Can’t think of a classic pro-wrestling angle done as well as Punk and MJF in years. Everything Punk does is a masterclass and that includes gigging before the ring shot.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, zendragon said:

I remember back in about 2005 people where upset that TNA was trying to be off brand WWE instead of ROH with money. AEW is AEW/PWG with money

To me AEW has always been PWG Wendesday Night Nitro and that's just how I like it,

Great go home show on almost everything.

- Tony is such a dork in a good way, his geeky enthusiasm shines through. He kinda reminds me of the nerds that Channing Tatum befriends in 21 Jump Street.

- Loved the Era of Honor Begins call back, I still remember sitting in front of my PC in 2002 watching that match and being blown away by what I was seeing. Kinda weird that they didn't mention that Daniels was also a ROH champion though. Nice of them to start with the code of honor only for Bryan to shit on it at the end.

- I laughed at Sting's lack of intensity during his promo, like he was so tired of everyone's shit.

- Tag Battle Royale was great and better than last week's, the Royal Rumble format just works so much better. Perfect reintroduction of Darius and it automatically brings him back up to his brother's current power level in the eyes of the crowd. I wish he would have won because the crowd was ready to lose their shit for it.

Almost every team in that match got a great pop when coming out which I love to see, but it was weird how they let so many jobber-ish teams come out near the end.

- Not gonna comment on the Punk/MJF segment because you've all discussed, it was just awesome.

- Women's match was kinda meh, my eyes just keep wandering to Hayter's trunks the whole time (single guy here, gimme a break)/ I feel Thnder Rosa is not wining on Sunday now after pinning Britt clean here, but the angle has cooled down a lot and it does't feel as big as it should be so maybe better if they hold off until they can build up something hotter. Loved Rosa's White Ranger attire tho, her gear is always on point.

- Loved loved loved Wardlow finally saying something back to MJF and the HUGE slap in return. It's gonna be awesome once he snaps.

- Fun main event, Hangman and Johnny Hungee looked great. Someone said recently that Hangman has a Bret vibe now, just a good guy fighting off the heels and I completely got that feel tonight for some reason. Loved him trying to headbutt Cole when taped up and still fighting back.

Bring on Revolution!

oh yeah and SAMMY VS DARBY VS ANDRADE Holy shit

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 7

22 hours ago, just drew said:

Listen, right now the "90 day no compete" is the biggest heel in wrestling. Why not use it?

Somebody needs to have an absolute death finisher called "The 90 Day No Complete."  You know, because it's so damaging it might put the opponent out for three months.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, eikerir said:

- I laughed at Sting's lack of intensity during his promo, like he was so tired of everyone's shit.

I like that Sting has cooled down a lot. It seems legit.

Just don't mention that Wrestlemania job that he did or you might get his bad side...

• Like 1

Last thought for now on the ROH situation. I just read some report where people think Sinclair TV is out, but that TV is probably happening on Turner brands. The problem with the ROH brand is that it's not differentiated enough from AEW. If anything, it's even farther in the direction that they shouldn't be going. More serious, more gated, more "pure." If they were going to have another brand then they probably should have come up with an AEW Kids sort of thing that could run on Saturday mornings on one of the turner brands and play around with the Dark Order and Serpentico and some of the other characters they had. The ROH brand feels like it just captures a portion of their already existing audience instead of somehow expanding it.

(So again, tape library! or awesome Cody Vanity Project)

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Matt D said:

If they were going to have another brand then they probably should have come up with an AEW Kids sort of thing that could run on Saturday mornings on one of the turner brands and play around with the Dark Order and Serpentico and some of the other characters they had.

Don't mind me, just want to single this out and kindly ask TK (or whoever from there is reading this) to please, please make this happen once y'all get the other stuff sorted out.  And maybe get that Infinito fella on that show more while you're at it too.

• Like 1

ROH on Turner would dilute AEW too much, IMO. And if Turner's giving out TV time all willy nilly, why wouldn't there just be a 2nd hour of Rampage by now? Or why wouldn't Dark be a weekend show? Just doesn't make much sense to me, I can't see it happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Last thought for now on the ROH situation. I just read some report where people think Sinclair TV is out, but that TV is probably happening on Turner brands. The problem with the ROH brand is that it's not differentiated enough from AEW. If anything, it's even farther in the direction that they shouldn't be going. More serious, more gated, more "pure." If they were going to have another brand then they probably should have come up with an AEW Kids sort of thing that could run on Saturday mornings on one of the turner brands and play around with the Dark Order and Serpentico and some of the other characters they had. The ROH brand feels like it just captures a portion of their already existing audience instead of somehow expanding it.

(So again, tape library! or awesome Cody Vanity Project)

Happy to hear they're potentially moving on from problematic Sinclair.  I love the idea of ROH programming finding room on the Saturday morning schedule.  I'll gladly slot it in beside tape delay Rampage.  I'm not sure expansion of the audience is all that key here, but maybe i say that clouded by my own interests.  A kid friendly, comedy friendly program sounds like something I would routinely skip.  I just want a well produced platform for quality young performers to strut their stuff.  I'd like the presentation to differ slightly enough, but the tidy AEW formula is very welcomed.  Especially when I comparatively watch stuff like Impact with their awful drama class vignettes and commissioner characters running rampant.  Wrestling is best when KISS.       

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

I agree, wrestling is best when Kids are In Satan's Service. Gotta catch 'em early with the blood. 

Speaking of which:

7 hours ago, matwarz said:

Everything Punk does is a masterclass and that includes gigging before the ring shot.

Hey now I caught him getting the blade out! Minus half star. 

• Like 2