DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/2/22

1 hour ago, just drew said:

It’d be pretty dope if MJF fires Wardlow and enforces a 90-day “no compete.” Then you could show footage of Wardog just murking Indy guys at local shows for three months til the crowd is frothing at the mouth for him to get his hands on MJF. Maybe MJF gets Smart Mark involved to look for ways to keep Wardlow out of AEW, until Wardlow powerbombs Sterling through the crust of the earth. Wardlow finally gets his hands on MJF. Maybe the rest of the Pinnacle guys don’t get involved bc they don’t want any of Wardlow. It’s glorious murder. Wardlow is off to the races.

Another thing MJF could do is add injury time to Wardlow's contract just to keep him under his thumb longer for no reason.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'm curious to see if they get the raw tapes and are able to remaster the oldies in a way that dumps Gabe Sapolsky's horrible commentary.  And whether they can minimize the awful lighting glares that nobody in the small ROH production unit seemed to catch or understand.  

From a recent deep dive, Ki shares many of the sad conspiracy theories of the QANON team.  I think his twitter page  should get you up to speed.  That said, I hope there's a rainbow of clear headed consciousness somewhere at the end of his unsound path of standards and practices.  He's still very capable inside the squared circle.  

Don't dump any commentary from 02 please.

• Like 7

I think the main note about the RoH purchase is “Tony Khan is a wrestling nerd who first and foremost wanted to make sure that footage would be some place safe and accessible and not locked in the WWE vault with them having no idea what to do with it” As stated, that’s a DVDVR dude who was a tape trader. Dude did a podcast with Schneider last year about Ted DiBiase vs. Ric Flair in Mid South. He cares about shit like that.

Past that, I’m of the opinion the best use of RoH is making it AEW’s “NXT”, but with a more free flowing form on the indies. Bring in workers you like, get them on dates to try to influence growth, sign the ones you really like up to develop, move onto main roster. Move some established vets to RoH to help the growth process, and to actually book the promotion, and from there. Dustin Rhodes, Christian Cage, FTR, and Daniels working as player coaches for young talent in the way up feels like a great fit to me honestly.

• Like 5

I believe MidSouth Tony has intentions on doing something with ROH and not just grabbing it just to aquire the talents and the Catalog. Even if he intends on keeping it separate from AEW, it's still going to be a difficult task for him overseeing two different brands. The difference between Tony Khan and those other buyouts in the past is that Khan was as big fan of ROH it not an ego thing of buying your "Competition" or buying a "territory". Sure it may be a little ego might sneak in but I believe he has good intentions initially but then again Vince had good intentions with WCW and part of the reason the "Invasion" angle was a flop because it was a last minute thing. The WCW Invasion wasn't something they planned on doing Vince aquired WCW, they had plans on keeping it separate. I'm sure they would have intermingled before long naturally though. 

7 minutes ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Dustin Rhodes, Christian Cage, FTR, and Daniels working as player coaches for young talent in the way up feels like a great fit to me honestly.

I was half-ass joking last night that Tony bought Ring of Honor because he realized he signed Jay Lethal and didn't have anything for him to do. Throw him on that list for sure. 

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Thinking back on it, the follow up to the announcement last night was pretty savvy. Even if you're one of the people who doesn't care about someone buying ROH (I'm not, but I know those people are out there), here's a surprise Bryan Danielson match! I wish all news was delivered to me with one of those. 

"I'm sorry, but your cat died at the vet. Now please enjoy Brian Danielson vs Puma King."

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

This may anger some, but I'm of the belief ROH is done in it's current form. The library was the biggest part, as we've all discussed to death. If TK is intent on running ROH shows, I think an annual tournament, or like 4-6 non-AEW-canon One Night Stand-style events a year is the way to go. Small to medium sized venues with higher than average ticket prices. Keep it thematically cohesive by showcasing mat guys like Garcia or Angelico, with the occasional big name coming in for the nostalgia factor.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

"I'm sorry, but your cat died at the vet. Now please enjoy Brian Danielson vs Puma King."

"We're shitcanning Urban Meyer for obvious reasons. Similar to how Bryan Danielson was fired after the Nexus invasion. Watch former Nexus members collide, Bryan Danielson vs Fred Rosser is LIVE now on TBS! #ForbiddenDoor"

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Haha 4

I think there's potentially a good story and money in a sort of ROH alum faction vs a non ROH alum faction within the main AEW shows itself, but there's lots of money and probably better stories in lots of other things that are easier. For him to go too deep into that realm could actually hurt the unique brand he's been building for three years.

Let me put it this way. I don't think a single person not already watching is going to be swayed to watch AEW by an ROH-themed anything. My gut says that most people who were big into indy wrestling in the early-mid-late 00s are still tuned in. 

Which goes back to what we're saying over and over again, yeah: it's the tape library (which may yet pay off big) and a nostalgia kick from a guy who's got the money and can afford to have one.

(With the syndication as a question mark)

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 3

Personally, I'd be just fine with it being nothing more than the tape library.  Put that shit on HBO, and let me re-watch all of that in (hopefully) better quality, and I'll be a happy Log.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, EVA said:

Apologies if somebody else noticed this already and I just skimmed over it: This was the second time in as many weeks that Ten lost a match because somebody used his mask against him. Either there’s some lazy agenting going on or they’re planting seeds for him to take the mask off in the future.

I think second is the plan - he appears on social media w/o his mask. I think he has a big upside

Edited by chriskbrown50

1 minute ago, chriskbrown50 said:

I think second is the plan - he appears on social media w/o his mask. I think he is a big upside

Judging from Ethan Page's vlog, he is quite the looker.  Not that I notice these things.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Along those lines I genuinely wonder if the August PPV will be called All In or All Out this year. Obviously All Out was a riff off of the original getting as close as they could legally. But for all intents and purposes All In should be the brand name for it. It was the spark that started AEW. But TK has also shown to be pretty sentimental and prideful, would he want to scrap the All Out name? Jericho was crowned the first AEW World Champion at All Out, not All In. Will be interesting to see, at least to me.

• Like 1

I'm pretty confident he bought it for the video library. Y'know, in case they land a streaming service deal, say HBO Max or whoever.

Dunno if that's been covered yet

but yeah RoH was already dead as of their last PPV since all the talent were released from their contracts last year. RoH as an entity is just a brand name and a back catalog.

/S

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Along those lines I genuinely wonder if the August PPV will be called All In or All Out this year. Obviously All Out was a riff off of the original getting as close as they could legally. But for all intents and purposes All In should be the brand name for it. It was the spark that started AEW. But TK has also shown to be pretty sentimental and prideful, would he want to scrap the All Out name? Jericho was crowned the first AEW World Champion at All Out, not All In. Will be interesting to see, at least to me.

My preference would be for them to use a better name if it's available, and All In is pretty clearly a better name. But they seem fully committed to an event called Full Gear, so who knows. 

• Like 1

Preston Vance is a "Cody guy." Had several appearances on the reality show. Wouldn't shock me if they were attempting to keep him happy. Plus, you can't have too many guys with his size around...

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

I'd name the first PPV of the year as All In, and move All Out to the last PPV of the year.

• Like 5

And ROH was more done in by Covid and lack of support from Sinclair than AEW. A promotion with national television isn't going to threaten a promotion running VFW Halls If that was the case then you could say NXT killed ROH with Papa H raiding the pantry time and time again. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I'd name the first PPV of the year as All In, and move All Out to the last PPV of the year.

They could also make All In a combined AEW/ROH Supershow. With it taking place over the holidays it could fill TK's Starrcade slot.

Additional thought: they could also invite all the other promotions they have working agreements with to take part in that. I feel that Coach would really love to recreate the vibe if the old NWA as much as he possibly could. This would do it.

Edited by Wyld Samurai
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, The Natural said:

Wearing white should be mandatory if there's going to be bloodshed. It's like in a Street Fight, wrestlers must wear street clothes, preferably jeans with knee pads over them.

Exception to Christopher Daniels wearing slacks and a collared shirt

In regards to MJFs promo

All In would be the perfect name for the supershow if they do go that route and keeping All Out as their September PPV just for continuity sake. 

Outside of that, I really think it'll be utilized as their quasi-development brand with a touch of veterans as others have eluded to. You give the book to someone you trust and maybe give them some direction ala; push Daniel Garcia, ect. and let it work on its own. 

They still have their Supercard of Honor coming up (and Ninja Macks debut, hell yes) so if they do want to continue utilizing it, they have two options. Either continue to run it as it has been ran (TV, PPV, ect) or you can run it event style like GCW. An event this Saturday then next Friday, ect. and it frees up the need to churn out content for weekly TV.

21 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

guessing that the ROH purchase doesn't include AEW being able to air something on the Sinclair/Bally's networks to help fill a little programming since all the Sinclair RSNs won't be getting baseball for awhile?

(probably enough off-brand old man tennis to help fill some of the programming holes about to emerge on RSNs)

Probably a bunch of AVP Volleyball since Bally's bought them last year. And more Old Man Tennis.

Edited by Ramo2653