DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/2/22

Someone mentioned CHIKARA, so I'll just tell you what I want to see: an ROH Young Lions Cup, but instead of your normal rookies in black, anyone on the ROH roster can join Side -A or Side -B, but -A dresses like lions, -B dresses like tigers. Lions and tigers fight their own kind until only one of each animal remains. Then, the top lion and the top tiger fight, and if the tiger wins, the tournament will be changed to the Young Tigers Cup next year, but the rules stay the same. There's incentive to win, and yes, pride is involved. ROH be the only place on earth you can see lions and tigers tearing it up. The only time on the wrestling calendar where things get truly wild

A reason for feasting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Horatio said:

Someone mentioned CHIKARA, so I'll just tell you what I want to see: an ROH Young Lions Cup, but instead of your normal rookies in black, anyone on the ROH roster can join Side -A or Side -B, but -A dresses like lions, -B dresses like tigers. Lions and tigers fight their own kind until only one of each animal remains. Then, the top lion and the top tiger fight, and if the tiger wins, the tournament will be changed to the Young Tigers Cup next year, but the rules stay the same. There's incentive to win, and yes, pride is involved. ROH be the only place on earth you can see lions and tigers tearing it up. The only time on the wrestling calendar where things get truly wild

A reason for feasting.

Uh oh, someone got into TK's stash. 

• Haha 1

Will ROH keep the Sinclair TV spots?  If they do, that will help.

No more Quinn Mckay hosting  sucks though (WWE got her)

There's folks I can definitely see heading to ROH from AEW side like Lethal, and some of the women, as well as some dark regulars.  I hope they keep a lot of the ROH traditions like Pure Rules and Proving Ground.  One thing I liked about ROH is that rules seemed to matter there more, which is something I don't get in AEW.

9 hours ago, Dog said:

Plus Davey Richards!

paw1.gif

My point was more that the guys I mentioned are all relatively prominent in WWE at the moment. I'm not sure exactly what that will mean, exactly, but I could see it being either a boon for AEW (if somehow WWE fans decide in 2022 to start checking out their back catalogue) or a bane for the named wrestlers (if WWE decides "Why should we push these guys when our competition could benefit?")

I don't think either of those scenarios is all that likely, but it's interesting to think about.

It will be interesting to see the financial details (Sinclair is public, so this should come out at/before their next earnings call). Surely Sinclair gave WWE an opportunity to beat Tony’s bid - and with so much footage of their current stars involved, I have to think Tony paid a steep multiplier to keep it away from Vince.

Edited by For Great Justice

I have to think the ROH purchase is, first and foremost, about the video library.  I am salivating at the idea of having all of those ROH shows from '02-'07 (or so) somewhere at my fingertips for streaming.

As much as AEW is portrayed as a descendant of Crockett/WCW, I see it more as the culmination of what ROH started in '02.  ROH back then was basically, "Hey, what if we had some matches like we see on those tapes from Japan?"  You know, "wrestling" instead of "sports entertainment".  AEW is that style on a big stage.  

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Log said:

I have to think the ROH purchase is, first and foremost, about the video library.  I am salivating at the idea of having all of those ROH shows from '02-'07 (or so) somewhere at my fingertips for streaming.

As much as AEW is portrayed as a descendant of Crockett/WCW, I see it more as the culmination of what ROH started in '02.  ROH back then was basically, "Hey, what if we had some matches like we see on those tapes from Japan?"  You know, "wrestling" instead of "sports entertainment".  AEW is that style on a big stage.  

That's the big draw to the ROH purchase, the glory years of 2002-2007. To me, 2006 is the best ROH year for Bryan Danielson's reign as ROH World Champion, the best in the belt's history and ROH vs. CZW. 2004 next thanks to the Samoa Joe/CM Punk trilogy and 2005 for Summer of Punk and Joe vs. Kobashi pitting the two best wrestlers of the world in 2005, a great year in wrestling for ROH, TNA and NOAH.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Well, TK can make AEW like Wrestle Universe-  individual promotions that are of varying sizes.  I don't think Wrestle Universe is going to evenrually fold TJPW and NOAH ( EDIT: and Ganbare) into DDT.  I know it's a different market and history in the US points towards ROH eventually being folded into AEW, but TK is a wildcard.

• Like 2

Quick thoughts:

• I felt a little for Danielson. He comes out with his big plans and Moxley says that the only way to work with him is to fight him first. So Danielson says sure, let's do it, I'll beat you up! We'll fight then we'll break bread! And then the next week Mox is is all "You think you hurt Mox? No! You no hurt Mox! Mox hurt you. Mox is strongest that there is!" It's like trying to negotiate with the Hulk.
  • I remain underwhelmed by the whole ROH thing, thought the Shane line was pretty funny, and really, if this is absolutely key to selling to a streaming surface... basically, if he spent 8 figures to get a 9 figure contract, it makes sense. I still wish he got PCO or Rok-C out of it too or something? If this does turn out to be a Cody thing, I'll laugh and enjoy it.
  • I was concerned how to move on from the MJF thing last week because pro wrestling rarely sticks the landing on these things. They stuck it here. Punk did what he had to in order to look himself in the mirror. If he had to go back and do it again, he would. MJF's lived experiences were valid. That helps to explain what he's become but it doesn't excuse it. There was a path, a chance, and here he didn't take it. Maybe he'll get another chance someday. I don't think this will push Punk off of his path. If anything it validates the kayfabe choices he's made since returning.
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

When Dax was on Renee's show, he did his best to kayfabe the reason why FTR v Briscoes hasn't happened yet, and the issue seems to be who goes over. Sucks, but I get it. 

He’s also tweeted about “putting the egos & politics aside” while stumping for a young bucks rematch. But I guess the Jackson’s aren’t interested if they can’t go over/make FTR look like idiots, so….

Ring of Honor!  Maybe it can get Cody's old TV spot.  Just change one letter and they're good.  ROHdes to the top.

TK is as awkward as you'd expect someone with longtime DVDVR origins would be.  ?

I think the HBO Max deal is still coming.  Please don't take over Sinclair's TV spots.  The last thing I need is to try to DVR this new ROH, only for half of the one hour recording to be taken up by the end of an episode of Castle.  Every.  Fucking.  Time.

PWG was mentioned and I'd love for him to buy their library as well BUT they just renewed with Highspots so who knows.  Then again, it's not like another indy hasn't already fucked their streaming partner without repercussions already.

"Nobody gives a damn about that karate shit!"  I fucking died and turned a corner on Jade.

"When Arn had hair he looked just like his son!"  LOL when did Arn have hair?  Must've been before I started watching almost 40 years ago.

I literally jumped up and pumped my fist like a real fucking goof at that Glen Jacobs line.  Caster out here burning Kane again.

I love it when Alan Angels takes off his hat and instantly ages 10 years.

Excalibur being a real mark for corporate synergy will never not be funny.

It's cool they seem to be working a storyline with 10's mask being a liability.

Darius Martin fuck yeah.

How many teams were in that battle royale?  Jesus.

Adam Cole is the best scumbag heel, just being super brave and ready to fight Page whenever hangman was vulnerable.  Perfect.

Adam Page countering O'Reilly's attempt at The Wacky Line with just the most badass Stan Hansen style lariat was a thing of beauty.

Fuck, dudes, that's about 3x the amount of duct tape you need.

Is Ethan Page vs Christian Cage on Rampage?  For JR's sanity's sake, I hope so.  Also, LOOOOOL @ a guy older than me being in contention for a match to determine "the face of the revolution."  Maybe it's actually a Southpaw throwback gimmick match where it's "The Face of the Revolution circa 2005" and we'll get like Matt Bentley or whoever as well.

JR says Mercedes and Rosa have similar gear.  My eyes tell me otherwise.  Waiting on Martinez and Rosa being compared to Eddie Guerrero and Gino Hernandez.

That Warldow match was so quick...Bononi hit a knee, I grabbed a sip of coffee, looked up and Wardlow had him set up for a powerbomb.

WWE booking tells me Page and Britt go over Sunday, right?

Cody booking ROH with nothing but storylines ripped from lame ass DC comics would certainly be a thing.

I'm really glad they revisited the "MJF, not AEW, pays Wardlow's salary" thing.  It's going to be a real "The Old Man fires Dick Jones" moment when Wardlow is pissed off one day and suddenly TK announces he has a contract for Wardlow and the big man can throw out the 4th directive.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8

Irks me that #FTR are the shortest reigning AEW World Tag Team Champions in AEW history, never had Young Bucks vs. #FTR II and #FTR have never won them back. The Revival/#FTR are the world's best tag team since 2016. Lucha Brothers reign was a disappointment and I don't like Jurassic Express as the current champions either mainly through Luchasaurus. There's more deserving teams in #FTR and Santana as Ortiz.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I'm really glad they revisited the "MJF, not AEW, pays Wardlow's salary" thing.  It's going to be a real "The Old Man fires Dick Jones" moment when Wardlow is pissed off one day and suddenly TK announces he has a contract for Wardlow and the big man can throw out the 4th directive.

il_1140xN.1725242057_ql4f.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

I really wanted a Low-Ki run-in on Dragon v. Daniels.  He won that match!

Where is Low-Ki anyway?  Finally burned all the bridges?  Is he in CYN?

I thought MLW. Low-Ki's one of those heavily touted wrestlers you don't see what others do. I got Bryan Danielson, Samoa Joe, CM Punk and AJ Styles but never TAFKA Senshi/Kaval.

I thought it was very telling that Low Ki didn't even get a cursory mention on Dynamite last night.  Did they even make reference to the main event of the first ROH show being a three-way?

1 minute ago, Log said:

I thought it was very telling that Low Ki didn't even get a cursory mention on Dynamite last night.  Did they even make reference to the main event of the first ROH show being a three-way?

Tony said that neither of them won the main event that night.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Octopus said:

Maybe a deal with AAA footage? I know their new stuff is on Twitch but I’m not sure if their catalog is on a streaming service.

They have a channel on Pluto.

• Thanks 1