DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 3/2/22

25 minutes ago, Casey said:

Watching the ROH announcement back... good lord, TK is such a fucking nerd and it's kind of adorable. I hate to swoon over a billionaire like that, but geez. His facial expressions during that whole thing, and the "SHANE'S NOT HERE! IT'S NOT SHANE! IT'S ME!"... what a dork. I bet him and Keith Lee are the bestest of friends.

I've got to admit, the ROH news has got me pretty cheery. But, Tony having to tell AEW fans to quiet down about Shane almost made me lose faith in humanity ... I'm assuming the Florida crowd were pulling his leg a little? I haven't done a rewind to hear what they were saying, but hell ... there's zero need for Shane-O-Mac in AEdub.

• Haha 1

As far as I can tell listening back to it, nobody was chanting for Shane. It was just TK being a wrestling nerd and making fun of the WWF announcement of acquiring WCW.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Casey said:

As far as I can tell listening back to it, nobody was chanting for Shane. It was just TK being a wrestling nerd and making fun of the WWF announcement of acquiring WCW.

I wish he had thrown in a Ric Flair Wooh! just to hammer the point in. 

Tony Khan as a reincarnated Ric Flair who owns wrestling and is (finally) allowed to break kayfabe makes sense to me.

3 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

When he first started mentioning CD, I thought he was going to say that Daniels would be the showrunner for ROH as a nice promotion from talent relations. Totally agree with you - that needs to be delegated to somebody that isn’t TK.

As someone who worked on shows next to CD when he was running the show for UPW, I wouldn't wish that on anybody. It's gonna be Cody.

• Haha 1

The Ring of Honor News is dope. To me ROH is like NOAH,  no matter if I'm keeping up with it a the moment or not I'm always rooting for their success. Wasn't Khan trying to buy Ring of Honor before AEW became a thing? I thought I read that somewhere years ago. 

Khan is a fan just like most of us and I believe that he'd try to do with ROH what Vince originally intended to do with WCW when they purchased it and keep it a legit separate entity. I believe he'll make Ring of Honor go back to its early years of no frills pro wrestling. It'll be interesting how they separate the brands as far as identity from an inring perspective. AEW is very workrate based but you do see alot of talking and promo heavy work too. Imagine you won't see much of that in Ring of Honor 

• Like 1

MJF should be in jail for this. But that aside, the promos between these two have been epic. Punk/MJF is like one of those dream feuds that's delivered exactly the way you always imagined it.

Khan is a fan just like most of us and I believe that he'd try to do with ROH what Vince originally intended to do with WCW when they purchased it and keep it a legit separate entity. I believe he'll make Ring of Honor go back to its early years of no frills pro wrestling. It'll be interesting how they separate the brands as far as identity from an inring perspective. AEW is very workrate based but you do see alot of talking and promo heavy work too. Imagine you won't see much of that in Ring of Honor 

Truthfully, I see no reason why that will work. ROH was still little more than a super-indy at the end of the day. I just don't see how an ROH invasion benefits or grows AEW.

Edited by TheVileOne

34 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Truthfully, I see no reason why that will work. ROH was still little more than a super-indy at the end of the day. I just don't see how an ROH invasion benefits or grows AEW.

They kinda lost Joe to TNA and Punk to WWE before they started to suck. Red got injured really early, too. Those 3 seemed like they'd change the world at one point...Danielson not winning the big-money until several years in was kind of weird; he wasn't always there in the beginning. By the time that the Honor School graduates were coming around I really lost interest. Chris Hero as the King of Honor would have been the ROH we envisioned at first... I understand the indie-vibes, but they really had something for a while. And people seemed to still dig it when Adam Cole came around and NJ at MSG. An indie having a tv deal for this many years seems like a big success.

But yeah, I don't think they ever ran SAT vs Briscoes which kinda made you wonder what didn't they understand about actual dream matches. 

Edit - add the loss of Paul London as a hindrance to their crucial development 

Edited by Horatio
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Horatio said:

They kinda lost Joe to TNA and Punk to WWE before they started to suck. Red got injured really early, too. Those 3 seemed like they'd change the world at one point...Danielson not winning the big-money until several years in was kind of weird; he wasn't always there in the beginning. By the time that the Honor School graduates were coming around I really lost interest. Chris Hero as the King of Honor would have been the ROH we envisioned at first... I understand the indie-vibes, but they really had something for a while. And people seemed to still dig it when Adam Cole came around and NJ at MSG. An indie having a tv deal for this many years seems like a big success.

But yeah, I don't think they ever ran SAT vs Briscoes which kinda made you wonder what didn't they understand about actual dream matches. 

I kind of feel ROH peaked in terms of quality and overall product in 2006. I feel like they lost a lot of steam after they ran through a lot of the big NOAH matchups, when NOAH was a much hotter product. They had some nice spurts here and there over the next 15 years. But I think in 2006, they were delivering their best roster, shows, and matchups. 

It felt like Gabe Sapolsky got burned out after doing ROH vs. CZW, ROH vs. NOAH, plus Bryan Danielson's epic title run, Homicide finally winning the big one, The Briscoes finally coming into their own, et al. 

• Like 1

I've never been into ROH honestly. I always felt their fanbase especially gave the whole idea of indy wrestling a bit of a bad reputation, so I'm a little concerned here. My wife seems to think this is going to lead to a merger, which I don't want, because I've loved how AEW has grown so much organically.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

I've never been into ROH honestly. I always felt their fanbase especially gave the whole idea of indy wrestling a bit of a bad reputation, so I'm a little concerned here. My wife seems to think this is going to lead to a merger, which I don't want, because I've loved how AEW has grown so much organically.

I mean there's not much to even merge with. They've got champions, yes, but they have no roster to really merge with. Everyone got released from their contracts. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I mean there's not much to even merge with. They've got champions, yes, but they have no roster to really merge with. Everyone got released from their contracts. 

That's pretty much what I said; they're basically an IP and tape library at this point.

• Like 1

"ALL I WANTED WAS A PEPSI"  sign of the the night!!!  If you know you know

Max Caster's diss on Mayor Jacobs popped me

Thought JR was on his A game throughout the show.  I'm sure being at "home" in Florida helps.

Punk-MJF angle was tremendous.  Both wearing white should have been the immediate tip-off of where it was going, but at the same time it played into Punk's promo and the "good guys wear white" trope.  "I'm trying Ringo, I'm trying real hard...."

Tag rumble was a total cluster with a foregone conclusion that didn't really get me interested in the triple threat.  I'm not even sure if battle royales equal ratings.  Wish they'd come up with a better way to get to that match, but at least it gets all the teams on TV I guess

My biggest questions about the ROH purchase right now are a) how much did he pay/did WWE bid to drive up the price?  and b) did he manage to work out any sort of TV deal with Sinclair? 

• Like 4

It's possible the ROH library relates back to a business strategy. If TK wants to sell the rights to someone like HBO Max it would help to have more content. If the WWE has proved nothing else, it has proved that content is king. 

I could even see a situation where it ends up they get a TV deal for weekly live wrestling and a streaming deal for historical/PPV, similar to the  ESPN+/UFC set-up.