DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2021-22: PERIOD 3

Dolfan in NYC

Good start to the deadline for the Jets.

Brought Mason Appleton back home last night, finally got rid of Nathan Beaulieu (Paul Maurice's obsession with playing busted ass veterans on his 4th line, 3rd pairings rather than younger, faster players was his big drawback as a coach), and got to do a classic Arizona trades for the contract of a guy that will never play again just to make the cap floor trade by moving Bryan Little over to them.

Here are the details on that last one

The Arizona Coyotes have made a bit of a creative move. As first reported by ESPN’s Kevin Weekes, the team has acquired Bryan Little and the rights to prospect Nathan Smith from the Winnipeg Jets for a fourth-round pick. TSN’s Bob McKenzie was first on the compensation. Bryan Little, 34, has only played in seven games since 2018-19 and does not figure to play in the NHL again due to injuries. He was on long-term injured reserve for the Jets, and has a contract worth $5.29MM against the cap through 2023-2024.

Nathan Smith is a pretty interesting prospect. He's 23 already, but seems to have had a bit of a breakthrough in college this year with 18 goals. He was drafted back in 2018.

E: apparently the story is that Smith had no interest in signing with Winnipeg

I feel bad for what happened to Little, but it will be nice not having to play the LTIR dance with him every year.

Edited by elizium

The Chicago Blackhawks are trading goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury to the Minnesota Wild for a conditional draft pick, a source told ESPN on Monday, confirming multiple reports.

The Blackhawks will receive a conditional second-round pick that will become a first-round selection if the Wild make the conference finals and Fleury wins four games in the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup playoffs, a source said.

Jet acquire Zack Sanford from the Sens for a 5th. Presumably this 100% means Copp is getting moved and Sanford becomes the third line left winger.

I'm gonna miss Copp, he's awesome

Edited by elizium

The Canes, Blue Jackets and Panthers did some sort of three way dance

TSN’s Chris Johnston reports that the Carolina Hurricanes have acquired forward Max Domi from the Columbus Blue Jackets, coming under the wire just ahead of the 2 p.m. CT deadline. The deal will also include the Florida Panthers as salary cap brokers, according to Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic. The Athletic’s Aaron Portzline reports that part of the package from Carolina to Columbus includes prospects Egor Korshkov and Aidan Hreschuk. As part of the deal, Columbus has also sent a sixth-round pick to the Panthers.

2 hours ago, elizium said:

Jet acquire Zack Sanford from the Sens for a 5th. Presumably this 100% means Copp is getting moved and Sanford becomes the third line left winger.

I'm gonna miss Copp, he's awesome

Copp did in fact get moved... to my Rangers

As originally reported by TSN’s Darren Dreger, the New York Rangers are set to acquire forward Andrew Copp from the Winnipeg Jets. Per Dreger, the trade is as follows:

NYR receives: Copp, 2023 sixth-round pick
WPG receives: F Morgan Barron, two conditional 2022 second-round picks, 2023 fifth-round pick

One second-round pick, the Rangers’ 2022 pick, can be upgraded into a first-round pick if the Rangers make the 2022 Eastern Conference Final and Copp plays in 50% of the team’s playoff games. Winnipeg can opt for the other second-round pick to be the Blues’ 2022 second-round pick or the Rangers’ 2023 second-round pick.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Sprong and TWO picks

Clearly the Caps were drunk

The two picks were so that Seattle would still retain 50% of MoJo's salary.

Now why they would bring back a player who rumor was caused some friction in the Caps locker room (and I also sort of remember stories when the Caps won the Cup that one of the reasons they won was that they got rid of MoJo)...

The Red Wings moved out some guys but did not move Tyler Bertuzzi as was strongly rumored.

1) Detroit sent Nick Leddy and Luke Witkowski to St Louis for Oskar Sundqvist, Jake Walman, and a 2nd round pick.  He was originally acquired from the Islanders for a 2nd round pick.  He was supposed to mentor Moritz Seider but he's been ATROCIOUS for Detroit, somehow putting up a -33 rating while playing next to Seider, who has been Detroit's 2nd-best player all year and has a -2.  The "advanced analytics" will say Leddy has been at least sort of OK but the eyeball test is spot-on here.  He's been horrible.

2) Detroit sent Vladislav Namestnikov to Dallas for a 4th round pick.  Namestnikov struggled early but has been pretty good lately.  Dallas will like him.  He is an unrestricted free agent.  Detroit management likes him and he likes the city and the team and there's a decent chance he re-signs with the team after the season.

3) Detroit sent Troy Stecher to the LA Kings for a 7th round pick.  Stecher has been hurt some in his time with Detroit but he's also somehow been worse than Leddy when he's played.  He's been a healthy scratch multiple times this year for a team whose defense would probably be improved if *I* suited up for them.  He's another UFA after the season.  Getting a 7th round pick from the Kings is a gift.

Edited by Tabe

44 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

See you next year, I guess. lmao

Kenny is just the gift that keeps on giving. Detroit is STILL digging out from under some of the contracts he handed out. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Copp did in fact get moved... to my Rangers

He's fantastic. Great third liner that can move up into the top 6 if needed, without seeming out of place. Was the Jets best penalty killer (on a pretty shitty unit overall) and can get pp minutes. Doesn't take penalties and has really made strides with his offence the last two seasons. Can play any forward position, came up as a centre, but got moved to wing because he was too good to be getting 4th line centre minutes, but wasn't going to take a centre spot from Schiefele, Little/Stastny/Dubois, or Lowry. 

Looks like I'm cheering for the Rangers to make the conference final.

2 hours ago, Death From Above said:

See you next year, I guess. lmao

I am sad that phone books no longer exist because if they did you could pick a random name from it, make that person the new GM/Coach and they would do far better than the parade of incompetent oafs who have been in those position the past decade or so. I still have no idea how you could fuck up that bad with a human cheat code like McJesus.

20 hours ago, Death From Above said:

The replies are, indeed, Golden

This is funny stuff.  Dadonov had a limited no-trade clause in the contract he signed with Ottawa.  When Vegas acquired him, they apparently didn't bother to read his contract and had no idea he had an NTC.  And then proceeded to trade him to a team to which he was blocking trades.  Vegas says Ottawa didn't notify them of the NTC and the NHL is saying they weren't aware either.  So, basically, lots of clowns in this situation.

This leaves Vegas with $400k in cap room and roughly $14m in two players they were hoping to activate.

On 3/27/2022 at 4:51 PM, Death From Above said:

This is the first time in the salary cap era that a team has scored 11 goals. Last time was in 2003 (Washington).