DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2021-22: PERIOD 3

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, elizium said:

I guess....but if he stayed because he saw the lockout coming, wouldn't that mean that in this scenario where the lockout doesn't happen, he would have gone to the NHL? Moot point, because it did happen, but it seems like a weird line to draw in an imaginary scenario

The bigger moot point is he hurt his shoulder in the World Junior Championship that year and only ended up playing like 30 games ?

6 hours ago, elizium said:

Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer ever. Even if he doesn't end up passing Gretzky, the fact that he's even going to come close, considering the era, is so damned impressive. If he played in the 80s, he would probably have eight or nine 70-80 goal years.

There also may not be anyone who enjoyed being Stanley Cup champion more. That summer of drunk Ovi was amazing.

Yeah, he's got 9 50-goal seasons - and a 48 and a 49.  The 48 would almost certainly have been another 50 if the season hadn't been shortened.  

He's been an amazing player.  He's led the league in goals nine times.  Gretzky "only" did it five times.  Brett Hull did it three times.  BOBBY Hull did it seven times (plus an 8th in the WHA).  Mario did it three times.  Gordie did it five times, Espo six.  

So, yeah, greatest goal scorer ever?  I can get behind that.

After weekend games with Pittsburgh (another ugly blowout loss that saw Detroit give up 7) and a shutout win over New Jersey, there are just two games left in the reign of Jeff Blashill.  I can't see him possibly being still employed by the end of the week.  Despite having the worst defense in the league, and giving up as many as 11 goals in a game this year, Detroit somehow has 4 shutouts.  All four belong to Alex Nedeljkovic, the most for any Wings rookie goalie since Roger Crozier in the 1650s.

Ovie getting hurt sure isn't a good thing.

The Caps actually could have caught the Pens yesterday but Ovie suffered his injury and the team imploded

8 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Auston Matthews hit 60 goals last night

First player in a decade to do so

Matthews has 101 goals in his last 125 games - .808 goals per game.  Mike Bossy is #1 all-time in goals per game - at .76 goals per game.  

What Matthews has done the last two years is unreal.  His 60th goal was scored on a 30ft wrist shot - a shot that Detroit's goalie had absolutely no chance on.

Friday will be the Coyotes last game in Glendale.

They will play the next 3 years (with a 4th year option) in a new multipurpose facility on Arizona State's campus.

Said building will hold... 5100 fans.

(They keep claiming they want to stay in Arizona with the ultimate goal of an arena in Tempe. An arena that has not even close to being approved yet)-

4 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Florida blanked Ottawa yesterday and clinched the President's Cup, their first in franchise history.  

?

You planning a trip to DC for games 3 and 4 after the Cats win the first two games 13-2 and you can get into the Cap Center V2.0 for less than the cost of a can of soup on TickPick?

1 minute ago, sabremike said:

You planning a trip to DC for games 3 and 4 after the Cats win the first two games 13-2 and you can get into the Cap Center V2.0 for less than the cost of a can of soup on TickPick?

I mean, the Rangers have to beat them tonight to make that certain. And god only knows what they're planning tonight.  They may dress 20 of the fucking Wolf Pack to avoid Pittsburgh. 

To be fair - the Caps can still jump the Penguins and play the Rangers instead of Panthers

Caps have to beat the Rangers in regulation tonight while the Pens would have to lose in regulation to Columbus

Just now, Dolfan in NYC said:

I mean, the Rangers have to beat them tonight to make that certain. And god only knows what they're planning tonight.  They may dress 20 of the fucking Wolf Pack to avoid Pittsburgh. 

The way the Pens are playing - it might be better to throw the game then have to face a pissed off Ovie

Just now, Dolfan in NYC said:

After watching the Caps last night I think the Midtown Huns could pick 20 people at random out of the crowd to play and they'd still win.

6 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Florida blanked Ottawa yesterday and clinched the President's Cup, their first in franchise history.  

?

So much for Florida winning the Cup this year.  Just a friendly reminder that nobody in the President's Trophy - Trophy not Cup, ya rube - era of the NHL has won the Stanley Cup with more than 118 points.  Florida has 122.

Edited by Tabe
  • Sad 1