DVDVR Message Board

NHL 2021-22: PERIOD 3

Dolfan in NYC

Colorado whipped the absolute fuck out of LA last night, giving them their franchise record 53rd win.  They still have 9 games to go. 

This stat is a little wild since they've won the Presidents Cup 3 times  (though tbf, one of those was the short season)

The Jets/Kraken game last night was moved to May 1 due to a winter storm in the Winnipeg area

So the season is technically being extended a day so two teams who won't be in the playoffs can play

3 hours ago, sabremike said:

About bloody time this happened!

Blatant consumer fraud that has been going on for years. 

This will go nowhere.  Unless somebody can find an ad from Adidas advertising the "Authentic" jerseys as being the same as the on-ice - something I've never personally seen - this case will go nowhere.  Adidas will move to dismiss and say "Your Honor, we've never said they're the same as on-ice jerseys.  Authentic means 'not bootleg'. "  And the judge will say "yep, you're right".

Which is not to say that it's not immensely frustrating that Adidas, and Reebok before them, stopped selling the on-ice jerseys.

Edited by Tabe

Florida tied the NHL record with 12 OT goals last night as Barkov got a hat trick and Huberdeau passed McDavid for the points lead.  

Florida and Colorado are tied with 116 points with both having 6 games left. 

42 minutes ago, elizium said:

You absolutely want Colorado to finish ahead of them in points. The Presidents Trophy is a curse

Red Wings fan here.  Can confirm.

Detroit somehow beat Tampa in Tampa last night, while playing without captain Dylan Larkin, who is out for the season after having core surgery.  It was the first win for Detroit - ever - against Andrei Vasilevskiy, who was 13-0-0 against Detroit previously.  Nobody wins their first 14 starts against the Red Wings dangit!  

Jakub Vrana tied a franchise record by scoring his 20th goal with Detroit in just his 32nd game with the team.  He tied Danny Grant, a forgotten 50-goal scorer, who also scored 20 in his first 32 games with Detroit.  Vrana continues to light the lamp despite getting getting as little as 10 minutes of TOI some nights.  He's BY FAR the best goal scorer on the roster so naturally Jeff Blashill misuses him.  Despite all that, it's obvious who won the Vrana/Mantha trade:

Vrana - 32 games, 20 G, 8 A, 28 Pts

Mantha - 45 games, 13 G, 16 A, 29 Pts

Detroit got Vrana, 2nd, and a 1st for Mantha, for those who don't remember.  Oh, and Richard Panik.

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Red Wings fan here.  Can confirm.

You're not kidding, happened to them a lot. To their benefit though, out of the 8 times a team has won both the pres and the Stanley Cup, they've done it twice

4 minutes ago, elizium said:

You're not kidding, happened to them a lot. To their benefit though, out of the 8 times a team has won both the pres and the Stanley Cup, they've done it twice

6 times winning the President's Trophy, 2 times winning the Cup.  No joke, Detroit fans were actually relieved when the Wings didn't win it in 1997 after winning it in 95 & 96 and not winning the Cup.  It's REALLY bad luck to win the President's Trophy with 120+ points.  No team has done that and gone on to win the Cup.  

Edited by Tabe

Alex Ovechkin scored two goals last night to hit 50 for the season

He is the oldest player (36) to score 50 in a season and he ties Wayne Gretzky and Mike Bossy for most 50 goal seasons (9)

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Alex Ovechkin scored two goals last night to hit 50 for the season

He is the oldest player (36) to score 50 in a season and he ties Wayne Gretzky and Mike Bossy for most 50 goal seasons (9)

With all due respect to Wayne & Bossy, I think Ovie's 9 are far more impressive.  There's just no comparison between the quality of goaltending/defense now versus when those guys played.  

I seem to recall the Sharks parlaying their one and only Presidents' Trophy into a first round exit

not willingly, mind you, but I do recall it nevertheless

though there are two curses potentially in play there and who's to say where one ends and the other begins?

Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer ever. Even if he doesn't end up passing Gretzky, the fact that he's even going to come close, considering the era, is so damned impressive. If he played in the 80s, he would probably have eight or nine 70-80 goal years.

There also may not be anyone who enjoyed being Stanley Cup champion more. That summer of drunk Ovi was amazing.

• Like 1

The math folks have estimated that due to all the lost seasons Ovie has had (due to work stoppages and COVID) he would have approximately 60 more goals (I can't remember if that also counts lost time to injury or not)

I assumed it would be closer to 100 because he's at about 2 whole years lost. The lockout year that would have been his actual rookie year, another half season to a labour stoppage, and another 40 odd games between the 2 COVID years. That's not even including any injuries, which happen to most players anyway.

Edited by elizium

I think it is because that the lockout year (04-05) was supposed to be Ovie's rookie year but since he saw the lockout coming, he stayed in Russia one more year and folks have stopped giving him credit for that as a "lost season"

I guess....but if he stayed because he saw the lockout coming, wouldn't that mean that in this scenario where the lockout doesn't happen, he would have gone to the NHL? Moot point, because it did happen, but it seems like a weird line to draw in an imaginary scenario