DVDVR Message Board

LIVE MUSIC 2022

twiztor

• 4 weeks later...

Went out to Bloomington-Normal, IL to see the Goddamn Gallows, Rebelmatic, and a band I'm friends with, Death Call last night. Venue is a nice little bar called Nightshop with an outdoor stage and a big-ass rendition of the London Calling cover on one of the walls. Death Call (Music | Death Call (bandcamp.com)) are my homies playing in a new project that is pretty much hardcore punk songs tuned low enough to be straight-up death/thrash metal. They even cover Impetigo which was a good idea considering the location as Impetigo were pretty much based out of the area. Props to Greg for doing vocals even though he had 10 (ten) teeth removed the day before. Visit your dentist, folks. Rebelmatic have apparently been deemed by HR of the Bad Brains as the big new black punk band and they're pretty damn good. Music is a melting pot. As NYC dudes there is clearly your Bad Brains and Cro-Mags in there, a surprising amount of Danzig in the vocals at times and some Big Boys funk. It's nowhere near as good as any of those bands individually but they have great stage presence and instrumental talent. At one point the drummer was just playing with his hands and the bass player also put down his guitar to breakdance (!). Singer was constantly getting crowd to chant stuff, including "Reb-el-ma-tic" as if we were at a wrestling card. Goddamn Gallows are self-described "gutterbilly" so you can imagine: tattooed heads and faces, Carhartt overalls, banjos and mandolin and stand-up bass, polka beats and punk rock. Solid stuff and lots of wild goofy faces pulled onstage. Fun show. Bloomington seeming to be made up entirely of one-way streets was my only complaint. 

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Death Call actually got paid a bill ($100) by the venue owner which is unheard of for probably any of the bands we've ever been in. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Holy shiiiiiiit... So, I found out that the drummer that played in both Rebelmatic and Goddamn Gallows is OLD DIRTY BASTARD'S LEGITIMATE BLOOD BROTHER AND COUSIN TO THE RZA AND THE GZA Mr. Ramsey Jones. Who has played on multiple platinum albums, live with Wu Tang, on the soundtrack to The Man with the Iron Fists... etc. etc. etc. 

Onstage, one of the Gallows dudes said "you gotta check out this guy's polka band". Meanwhile not mentioning any of that other shit. 

Wow. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, J.T. said:

Well, I've got night duty until the 27th, so if you are heading to the Jack White show at Pier Six in B'more on the 24th, I will have to live vicariously through you.

His Bonnaroo 2014 set is something to behold if you've never seen or heard it. 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 11:36 AM, twiztor said:

now that the country has collectively decided that COVID is over, musicians are out en masse again. Here's what i have planned for the next couple of months:

March: Great White

April: Snoop Dogg/Ice Cube/Warren G

July: the Zombies

just heard about the Snoop show this morning, shortly before tickets went on sale. you better believe i jumped at the opportunity. SO pumped for that one. Great White is on my list of Hair Metal bands that i want to check out. the Zombies is the latest show at an old barn (https://www.codfishhollowbarnstormers.com/) that is just damn cool to listen to live music at. 

anything coming to your area that you'll be attending?

Would love to hear about the Snoop show. The only real rap concerts I've been to are Jay-Z,  and the Gym Class Heroes/Run DMC.  That show was from 2000/2001 ish.  Was great to see them live but never a big Run DMC fan. 

Just saw Third Eye Blind with Taking Back Sunday.  Not a bad show but lots of rain. 

Going to see 311 in a few weeks and Goo Goo Dolls/Blue October the week after that.    

4 hours ago, Pedro said:

Would love to hear about the Snoop show. The only real rap concerts I've been to are Jay-Z,  and the Gym Class Heroes/Run DMC.  That show was from 2000/2001 ish.  Was great to see them live but never a big Run DMC fan. 

it was really cool. i've seen a fair amount of rap shows before.

Warren G opened. it was solid and i enjoyed it, but nothing to really write home about.

Ice Cube rocked. he interacted with the crowd well. told quick stories (sorta like skits i guess?) to set up his next song. WC was his backup/hypeman, so i was hoping for a Westside Connection song, but alas he didn't play one. Played a good mix of stuff, early solo, recent stuff, collabs, NWA. Ice Cube is awesome. much respect.

Snoop came out and the crowd went insane. [side note, the people in front of me were talking to venue security (i guess it was a friend of theirs or something) and he was saying that they were explicitly told by management not to call out people for smoking, because it was an unwinnable fight. i've seen some shows at this venue where the security were big dicks about smoking, so this was funny to hear.] Snoop rapped everything. he didn't do what so many performers do, with starting to sing a line and then holding out the mic for the crowd to sing. He just kept going, and he was clear and sounded good the whole time. the set was like an hour or more and he was moving around a lot, and never seemed to run out of breath. That might be what impressed me the most. His stage set was pretty simple but had a few ladies pole dancing for almost the entirety. his set list was really interesting, as he didn't generally perform entire songs, but would do his verse, or the main verse of a song, and of course the chorus, and kinda just kept going to the next song. i haven't seen a performer pull off a set like this, but it worked really well here. Maybe because so much of his music is based around features? Snoop's set was absolutely amazing and the entire crowd ate up everything he was doing.

edit: while i'm at it, may as well talk about the Zombies show.

it was fun. like i mentioned in the original post, the venue is so cool. seeing a legitimate Hall of Fame band play there (they usually get up-and-coming or indie bands mainly) really felt special. They sounded good, played tight, and the lead singer/songwriter told some really fun and interesting stories in between songs. It was super hot that day and i got overheated so stayed out of the barn for most of the set.

Edited by twiztor
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, twiztor said:

Warren G opened. it was solid and i enjoyed it, but nothing to really write home about.

Ice Cube rocked. he interacted with the crowd well. told quick stories (sorta like skits i guess?) to set up his next song. WC was his backup/hypeman, so i was hoping for a Westside Connection song, but alas he didn't play one. Played a good mix of stuff, early solo, recent stuff, collabs, NWA. Ice Cube is awesome. much respect.

Snoop came out and the crowd went insane. [side note, the people in front of me were talking to venue security (i guess it was a friend of theirs or something) and he was saying that they were explicitly told by management not to call out people for smoking, because it was an unwinnable fight. i've seen some shows at this venue where the security were big dicks about smoking, so this was funny to hear.] Snoop rapped everything. he didn't do what so many performers do, with starting to sing a line and then holding out the mic for the crowd to sing. He just kept going, and he was clear and sounded good the whole time. the set was like an hour or more and he was moving around a lot, and never seemed to run out of breath. That might be what impressed me the most. His stage set was pretty simple but had a few ladies pole dancing for almost the entirety. his set list was really interesting, as he didn't generally perform entire songs, but would do his verse, or the main verse of a song, and of course the chorus, and kinda just kept going to the next song. i haven't seen a performer pull off a set like this, but it worked really well here. Maybe because so much of his music is based around features? Snoop's set was absolutely amazing and the entire crowd ate up everything he was doing.

it was fun. like i mentioned in the original post, the venue is so cool. seeing a legitimate Hall of Fame band play there (they usually get up-and-coming or indie bands mainly) really felt special. They sounded good, played tight, and the lead singer/songwriter told some really fun and interesting stories in between songs. It was super hot that day and i got overheated so stayed out of the barn for most of the set.

Sounds like a hell of a show. 

I hate when the singers hold the mic out for the fans to sing the song. Jared Leto is the worst at this. Go watch any of his bands shows on Youtube and you will see he does it for roughly half the song on every single song.  Fuck, I paid to hear him sing not the crowd.  

3 hours ago, Pedro said:

I hate when the singers hold the mic out for the fans to sing the song.

i think it can make for a cool moment or visual, especially from the artists' perspective, but yeah it is used way too often and can actively detract from the show. a word or line from the chorus? absolutely. an entire verse? hell no.

• Like 1

John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask Bring THE ORIGIN OF LOVE Tour to  New York City in December

I originally bought tickets to see this back in 2019 to see in 2020. That got quashed in the pandemic. It was then postponed to January of this year. That got quashed due to the Omicron virus. I finally got to see the show (which is the final show of the tour) last night and it was amazing. There were special surprise appearances by Lena Hall (Yitzhak in the Broadway production) and Mason Alexander Park (Desire in The Sandman), who should play the role next time there's a revival. Rufus Wainwright was sitting one row up and over from me.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 11:40 PM, twiztor said:

I've seen Ice Cube live a couple of times, he's very good live.

Quite jealous of your Zombies experience, they've played Austin a couple of times but it's always during SXSW.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ace said:

John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask Bring THE ORIGIN OF LOVE Tour to  New York City in December

I originally bought tickets to see this back in 2019 to see in 2020. That got quashed in the pandemic. It was then postponed to January of this year. That got quashed due to the Omicron virus. I finally got to see the show (which is the final show of the tour) last night and it was amazing. There were special surprise appearances by Lena Hall (Yitzhak in the Broadway production) and Mason Alexander Park (Desire in The Sandman), who should play the role next time there's a revival. Rufus Wainwright was sitting one row up and over from me.

I'm so jealous.

One of the most transcendent performances I've ever experienced was John Cameron Mitchell a few years ago during a CVB/Cracker mini-fest at the 40 Watt Club.

People were losing their shit.  Folks who had never heard of JCM were asking afterwards "What the fuck was that?". 

On 8/21/2022 at 1:06 PM, AaronMLuke said:

In San Antonio ,with Joey, to see Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Poison and Joan Jett. Basically,  it's  the dinosaurs watching the dinosaurs. A good time is expected by all.?

A good time was had by all. Joan Jett was awesome. Played the hits and did a great cover of crimson and clover. Poison was good. Sound better than I expected. Started off with Look what the cat dragged in and just picked up the pace from there.Good times. Now for the main event. Def Leppard. Absolutely perfect. Sounded just as good as they did back in the day. This was a proper arena rock show and ended perfectly with Rock of Ages and Photograph. Chef's kiss. Motley Crue was good. Excellent  show.

Edited by AaronMLuke
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, AaronMLuke said:

Got to see them live when they opened for RUSH during the Roll the Bones tour. Glad to see they're  still awesome. 

I've been watching a shit-ton of the available live footage of Claypool's various projects from Primus to the Fancy Band to the Duo De Twang to the Bucket of Bernie Brains to the Claypool/Lennon Delerium to Oysterhead, and my concolusion is it's incredibly fucking weird that Claypool doesn't seem to want to do any live albums because he and his bands are consistently absolutely fire live.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw 311 last night and they played well but I left the night in awe of their opening band Tropidelic.  They are a good mix of Sublime and 311/incubus.  6 guys in the band and the energy they had on stage was insane. I bought 5 of their albums at the merch stand and saw they have played with Bone Thugs, Matisyahu, Nick Hexum, and a few other big artists.  Really recommend these guys.   Alcoholic, Cali, Hey Now, Falling Down, and Police State are really good songs. 

• Thanks 1