DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2022

matt925

3 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Just checked Cage Match in fact his last AEW Match is teaming with Fuego against Spears & Wardlow on Elevation at the end of Sept. 

Ironic, because Fuego basically took Marko's role in the company as tiny sympathetic babyface. And they can't turn him heel, because Serpentico is doing the tiny sympathetic heel better than Marko ever could.

• Like 2

There are a lot of options for tiny sympathetic babyface better than Marko that are avaliable and on the market.

Marko also has the issues of drawing heel heat with his gimmick, which is very bad for a sympathetic jobber.

There's a lot of folks who aren't really prospects, and aren't providing a lot of value.   With AEW fulfilling their end of the contracts, what else are they supposed to do?  I'd rather see new talent on the indies get a chance to prove something.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

At the same time, they're letting him finish out his contract and giving him notice that they're not renewing him so he can prepare, which is better than just straight out ending his contract and giving him a 90 day severance payout when he had more than that remaining on said contract.

I will say that we don't know what was actually said, just what was reported. It's a tricky thing, having to let someone go while also giving them an explanation as to why. If they said it was a larger roster now and Marko's skills weren't enough to justify a renewed contract, that comes off way harsher than just saying "we have a larger roster", doesn't it? "Hey, we brought in more talent that's better than you, so we're letting you go". "You're no longer a fit for the way we see the roster going?" Well why? The murky "budget cuts" reason? Well, their budget in the Marko Stunt department for FY2023 could be $0 as compared to [insert his salary here]. It would be a valid reason. It'd also be a shitty thing to say.

So what really do you tell him? A generic "we're letting you go at this time" with no reason and have him wonder why? Everything I mentioned earlier, and hurt his feelings? It's one of those things that sucks, and yeah, you don't want to see someone lose their job, but what's the other option if you've already made the decision he's not getting a new contract?

Good points. It isn't apples to apples with WWE releases because like you said, they are finishing out their commitment to the date they signed him to. Not cutting them early just because.

I get what you're saying about using that phrase as an easy let down for people so they don't kick them while they're down. It comes down to personal preference and in that regard I get that what I would want in the case is probably not what the majority of people would want. But if I'm in Marko's shoes what I would to hear is along the lines of "Hey Marko we love you as a person but right now what you're doing isn't a great fit for what AEW has evolved into. This isn't anything personal just business. But hey man go out there and reinvent yourself. Take this time to go out there and find a new Marko. Show us what we're missing on. Go out there and get over with a new presentation, and the door is always open for you to come back in the future."

I prefer honesty. Tell me what I'm doing isn't working. Or (this is def not the case with Marko) if they don't like my attitude or behavior or something, tell me. Maybe I'm not even aware of what the problem they have, is. I can't fix or change the issues they have with me if I don't know what they are ya know.

But to my point with that phrase being toxic, I'm already wrongly lumping this in with a WWE releases just based on that phrase alone. It's not the same. They let Marko finish out 8 months of pay due to him even tho they weren't going to use him. That's waaayyyy different than cutting him with 4.2 years left like they did with Gallows & Anderson for instance.

• Like 1

People are taking the Toni Storm debut to gripe about Ruby Soho. I get that not everyone watches Dark and that's fine but it's obvious from the live reaction that she gets almost every week that she's still over. She's basically an attraction for the live crowd who get to hear her music and chant her name. Meanwhile, she gets to work with the enhancement talent they might be scouting and gets to team with people like Anna Jay making them better. All the while, she's building up her record so she can be inserted back in at any point. There was a moment right when she came in where it seemed like she was being promoted at the same level as Cole and Danielson but the idea that she's not allowed to contribute is offbase.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
4 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Who is saying CD used the "budget cuts" phrase?  Marko?  Some website?  Who told them?

I like Marko, but this is probably coming straight from him and he's working it to get sympathy/bookings.  I'd expect nothing less.  But it reads like something crafted to appeal to smart marks on the internet

That was the point I was making when I said "we only know what's been reported, we don't know what was actually said".

A wrestler saying "budget cuts" or "a large roster" sounds better than "they didn't renew my contract", et cetera, et cetera.

But again, we don't know what was said between Christopher Daniels and Marko Stunt, so as long as we're wildly speculating, let's say he was cut for having the Rugrats parody logo on his tights and Viacom said "that's not going to fly", and Marko refused to get new gear.

5 hours ago, ExcellenceofAirPollution said:

Who is saying CD used the "budget cuts" phrase?  Marko?  Some website?  Who told them?

Sean Ross Sapp.

It's on Fightful Select, which you have to pay for. But there's no point, because people who do pay for it report everything it reports immediately.

1 minute ago, tbarrie said:

Okay. Who's that?

Internet Wrestling news reporter who - unusually for people with that job - actually breaks news. Like every news reporter who isn't making things up, is either quoting SRS or Meltzer.

And the ones who do make things up, tend to misattribute their lies to SRS or Mletzer anyway.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Casey said:

guys, forget all that - Nyla Rose has opened an OnlyFans account, and it's EXACTLY what you expect an OnlyFans account to be from Nyla Rose.

Man, is it just her roasting people?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

No, it’s pictures of fans.

That's brilliant. Although I feel like she could also have people pay her to write funny tweets for them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

That's brilliant. Although I feel like she could also have people pay her to write funny tweets for them.

She could probably make a killing on Cameo.

And since @The Natural is right above me - Bryan Danielson is on there now, but his price is like $150 (it was $50 before the demand, and then he rightfully changed it). EDIT: Nope, it's $199. JESUS! $700 for a business. Get that bread I guess, but goddamn.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

She could probably make a killing on Cameo.

And since @The Natural is right above me - Bryan Danielson is on there now, but his price is like $150 (it was $50 before the demand, and then he rightfully changed it). EDIT: Nope, it's $199. JESUS! $700 for a business. Get that bread I guess, but goddamn.

Bloody hell. Zandig reaction is apt, @Casey.

EDIT: Just gone on Bryan Danielson's Cameo. £149 personal use and £525 for business.

Speaking of Marko Stunt...

I can't help but imagine Seth Rollins in the ring at Mania, the announcers building up his opponent as a wrestler from another company (maybe even going so far as to mention AEW by name) who has also successfully crossed over into mainstream televison success....

And then:

Also: I think Rollins vs Stunt could be a really really very fun match.

• Haha 2