DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2022

matt925

Just have Tully find some team to send after FTR as revenge. They counter with Bret in their corner. He punches Tully. Tully bumps huge for it. FTR wins, poses with Bret. That’s it. No need for Bret to ever bump. 

• Like 10

33 minutes ago, Log said:

Just have Tully find some team to send after FTR as revenge. They counter with Bret in their corner. He punches Tully. Tully bumps huge for it. FTR wins, poses with Bret. That’s it. No need for Bret to ever bump. 

I had proposed Tully/Wardlow the other week, but I like your idea better. The only thing is I'm kinda struggling to think what team he would fit with stylistically that makes as much sense as FTR, though. Narratively, hooking up with Arn and elevating Brock/Johnson to the next level would make total sense, but those guys aren't quite ready yet IMO. Bear Country as Tully's mercenaries could be cool, if they drop the goofy masks. Hardys are currently occupied but you could play up the whole Carolinas thing as a tenuous connection. Could always debut a team too.

• Like 1

I think it could be more fun if Tully brings in a million different indy teams trying to take them out. It's pretty thin on narrative, but I would enjoy a bunch of one offs. Almost like when Cody was working random indy guys in TNT Title matches. AEW gets to tryout some fresh faces, and maybe they find a few teams they'd like to keep. I mean Cody's deal did lead to Starks & Kingston signing.

But FTR is doing a run of the indys working randoms. Could be fun if they were able to pick the teams they liked to work every few weeks on Dynamite until the story gets to it's next stage.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, AxB said:

You know how AEW likes to pay things off, from years earlier? We could finally see the moment when Sting gets to call Regal "Sunshine" back.

This is by far in my top 5 favorite WCW moments. I remember it like it was yesterday still. It was pure brilliance.

Man, I loved Regal back then. I really shouldn't have... but he was so brilliant.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I had proposed Tully/Wardlow the other week, but I like your idea better. The only thing is I'm kinda struggling to think what team he would fit with stylistically that makes as much sense as FTR, though. Narratively, hooking up with Arn and elevating Brock/Johnson to the next level would make total sense, but those guys aren't quite ready yet IMO. Bear Country as Tully's mercenaries could be cool, if they drop the goofy masks. Hardys are currently occupied but you could play up the whole Carolinas thing as a tenuous connection. Could always debut a team too.

Freeing Bear Country from the actual "Bear Country" gimmick and into Tully's monsters (kind of like Ellering with AOP) would be ???

• Like 1

https://www.rohwrestling.com/

As seen on the ROH thread, FTR vs Briscoes has been booked for Supercard of Honor. 

What's also interesting, and why I'm posting this here, is that it looks very much like SoH will be going head to head with Rampage that week. 

I am assuming that the date and time were already set and Tony Khan decided to honour that commitment (no pun intended) (rather than assuming that Tony Khan is trying to book AEW some direct competition).

It will be interesting to see how that affects ratings, and hilarious to read how the "The Sky Is Falling" and "same-day American TV ratings are still the be-all and end-all because the TV landscape has not changed since the 90s" brigades react to those numbers! I can hardly wait. 

If I am able to watch the ROH show live, it will be a tough choice which one to go with first, and which one to watch later. It will be really interesting to mine the Supercard for clues about the future direction of ROH, and to see who Tony Khan books on each show that day.

It will be fascinating to see what gets booked on Rampage. That's WM weekend, right? Presumably lots of hardcore fans will be in the area instead of home watching TV, and there will be many many alternatives to Rampage, and the Supercard going on around then.

Will AEW punt on the show to give ROH more views or go all out (also no pun intended) to draw eyes their way? Will there be cross-promotion?

Gonna be interesting!

+

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 3

Brian Cage ended up on my mind since I had a few minutes to kill and saw a 2020 Starks match on Dark.

Why would you pick up this guy's option when the roster is so big, a big chunk of the fans want nothing to do with him as a face or a heel, he's a malcontent at best?

I saw the theory posed that after the Swole thing, they want to keep anyone who might badtalk the company happy since there are big TV contracts to come and his salary is a drop in the bucket of what they'll get.

But still.. it got me thinking how they could even use the guy and then it made sense.

First MJF vs Wardlow match. He comes out as MJF's new heater. The crowd would hate that in the best way and it'd be pure MJF, down to the promo where he calls Wardlow the "mid" version of Cage. It writes itself.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Dude, on God I was thinking of AOP when I listed BC. Agree a million percent.

The guys from AOP keep insisting they aren’t done with wrestling yet…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Brian Cage ended up on my mind since I had a few minutes to kill and saw a 2020 Starks match on Dark.

Why would you pick up this guy's option when the roster is so big, a big chunk of the fans want nothing to do with him as a face or a heel, he's a malcontent at best?

I saw the theory posed that after the Swole thing, they want to keep anyone who might badtalk the company happy since there are big TV contracts to come and his salary is a drop in the bucket of what they'll get.

But still.. it got me thinking how they could even use the guy and then it made sense.

First MJF vs Wardlow match. He comes out as MJF's new heater. The crowd would hate that in the best way and it'd be pure MJF, down to the promo where he calls Wardlow the "mid" version of Cage. It writes itself.

That theory doesn't really scan. Why wouldn't they just keep Big Swole in that event? Or try to make her happy? Not to mention, Tony Khan's response to Big Swole only made that whole situation much worse.

Also why not re-up Joey Janela as well?

Brian Cage and MJF could do an Incredible Hulk character in a promotion like DDT.

If keeping people under contract post Swole is a strategy to avoid them provoking Tony into saying stupid in public maybe there are larger issues that need to be addressed. 

• Like 3

An Asian American loses his temper one time because someone said he was “too white”, and now Dr Internet PhD is diagnosing him with all manner of psychological ailments. Fantastic.

• Like 4