DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2022

matt925

21 minutes ago, Craig H said:

He's not re-signing because he's not that good, was a jobber at best, wasn't going to get used, so why stay somewhere where you don't have a role?

Money? I mean, this isn't WWE where you can't get outside bookings. He could be a (signed) jobber, only doing Dark and the occasional TV squash, get paid, and still do indie dates with GCW and the like. Seems like a no brainer to me. Personally, I think he's saving face and getting in front of it because he knows he's not going to be re-signed. I at least understand the argument for not staying in WWE when you aren't getting used, since you can't do anything except either sit in catering or sit at home. But this is a different situation.

I wouldn't say Janela isn't good. In the current day AEW, I mean yeah, he's not that super special, but he definitely has a specific area he's the best in and they just don't do those types of matches that often. versus Omega and Moxley in the Lights Out matches were great, and I'd argue it wasn't ONLY because he was facing two of the very best. Shit, even the triple threat between him, Darby and (shudder) Jimmy Havoc at All Out 2019 was really fun. Going back further, and it's now officially under the AEW umbrella: versus Hangman at All In was what originally made me a fan of Hangman, actually.

Kind of shocked, and sad, to see him go, but I'm not surprised. There are a ton of guys on the roster I'd rather see leave before him, but that's based purely off personal preference. 

• Like 4

I mean, yeah, if he thinks he deserves a better position within AEW and they just want to use him for Dark matches, I don't blame him for leaving. But it's not like he was ever at a point where he was just collecting a paycheck for doing nothing (except these last two or three months). A good chunk of his 2021 was doing matches for AEW, but again, that was on Dark, and maybe he feels like he should be on TV in a program or something, so I don't blame him if that's his reasoning.

He was a jobber for a start up promotion that had very little leverage to acquire more than a handful of notable stars. For an organisation with multiple network shows with aspirations to being the pre-eminent organisation he is amongst the most obvious of chaff to be cut.

• Like 5

I'm sure he came in with bigger expectations than he realized. He was in the main event of their second ever show vs a former WWE champion. After seeing his trajectory in the promotion chart from a potentially auspicious beginning to where he is now, the best way to clean any potential stink off of him is probably a clean break rather than hanging around. Keep doing what you're doing on the outside and get that buzz back. 

• Like 10

Janela essentially got replaced with Eddie Kingston.  Both guys with hardcore indie fanbases coming in, both deserved a shot on a big TV show.  Eddie can do everything Joey does but much better and then some.

That said Janela / Sonny Kiss will always be a highlight of lower card / Dark AEW for me.

• Like 6

I recall Janela being treated as a much bigger deal when he initially came in. This is just how it played out. AEW did over-extend themselves and sign too many people, and they have a lot of people they can stand to lose right now. I think Tony khan is going to try and maintain his friendly promoter image by not releasing bunch of people. 

Heck, I'm still not sold on Jeff Hardy as a signing right now.

• Like 1

People leave and come back to companies all the time, with few exceptions. It's the nature of the biz. I'm not a huge fan of Joey but if he keeps performing at and producing indy shows in the current climate, dude's gonna be just fine. 

• Like 2

Does Joey still have any stake in GCW? I could see him try to make that territory all about him in an attempt to build his legend like so many did prior to him. Especially with his obsession to be seen as a top guy.

A Cody Rhodes like run is what he is really looking for. I just can’t see multiple promotions giving him a top spot for a few months to give him that reputation.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Perhaps the match Janela had early on with Omega put the cap on him?

It seemed to get some hype prior to the match as the first Main Event of Dark (iirc).  For what should have been a milestone match for Janela ended up pretty much forgotten.  Plus, I’m sure, it didn’t help to be in a locker room full of gods.

Spitballin’.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Great ML said:

Dude ran the ropes like he was a sixth place ribbon winner on field day in elementary school.

Dusting off an old classic!  I actually think Janela's footwork and overall game improved a lot since that apt description first made the rounds.  This departure seems right for both sides.  I suspect at 32 years of age he'll be back on television, and with stronger presence, in the years to come.  

• Like 1

Some Janela stuff

"They've been doing this to people, they've been radio silent on the people they are letting the contracts expire, that's why you have talent relations to talk to your talent and tell them what the situation is. If they are gonna have a paycheck coming in or if they are gonna be signed to a per appearance deal, which some of the guys have agreed to. I would never agree on a per appearance deal anywhere. My per appearance deal is gonna be when I am booking myself all over the world, I am booked in 6 different countries coming up. Per appearance on the independent scene, I wanna be my own boss. That's how I got my name out there, I was my own boss, and I had the most buzz outside of The Elite and that's why I had this opportunity at AEW, that's why I had this opportunity at All In. People say to me on the internet, 'the only reason why you worked at AEW is because you were friends with the Young Bucks.' I met the Young Bucks twice before AEW. I was one of the most successful self-promoting wrestlers in the world at that point. I am not sad about anything, I thank everyone there, I learned so much. I had ups and downs. COVID really killed me wrestling in front of no crowd, I really lost motivation, my back was shot out. The doctors tell me my back is shaped like an 'S', because of all the wild stuff I have done in my career, that's something that is scary to hear and 'that's why you're not moving the way you should at 31 years old. It's because your spine is shaped like an 'S'. ' But that's been fixed, I feel great I am back in shape. I just wish there was less radio silence on their end with me. I consider Tony {Khan} a friend, I hung out with Tony a lot in the beginning days of AEW, I just wish they would talk to me. I know it's come to an end. But I appreciate them, I appreciate the experience I had and I am gonna take everything I learned there and bring it with me for the rest of my career," he said.

"A lot of guys, maybe some older heads that believed my hype and believed that I was some kind of dangerous professional wrestler. I've had times where I've injured people of course, everyone has. But once you get that reputation, it's hard to break that. I've had a string of bad luck throughout my AEW career and that may have been the straw that broke the camel's back but I don't know because they don't communicate with me. They did the same thing to Marko Stunt. They just stopped talking to him. But I appreciate them, but if you have talent relations, I know Christopher Daniels would love nothing more than to tell me I am no longer with the company. But it is what it is. I am not sad, I am not mad, I am not mad at anyone, I had a wonderful experience," he said.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/joey-janela-says-he-won-t-re-sign-aew-details-his-time-company?utm_source=TW-Fightful&utm_medium=Fightful Wrestling News&utm_campaign=dlvr.it

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think his split with Penelope, both on and off screen, didn't help, nor did the pandemic. The locker room around early pandemic + Jacksonville times were going through it just like the rest of us were. Everybody being uncomfortably wasted on BTE, Jericho's much-discussed vodka gut, having to come to terms with Brodie... not my place to speculate but I got the vibe that Janela lost a lot of his joy de vivre when he simultaneously had to watch his ex work a wedding angle and couldn't partake in any madman indie sleaze. I appriciate his recent work on DARK, the feud with Sonny's been fun, but I think he just wasn't present when he needed to establish himself in front of the people who broke out over the last couple of years.

Joey will continue doing Joey stuff and indie wrestling will continue to be a richer tapestry for it.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

Does Joey still have any stake in GCW? I could see him try to make that territory all about him in an attempt to build his legend like so many did prior to him. Especially with his obsession to be seen as a top guy.

A Cody Rhodes like run is what he is really looking for. I just can’t see multiple promotions giving him a top spot for a few months to give him that reputation.

Every time Joey goes back to GCW it’s like a hero’s welcome. He doesn’t need to make that promotion about him - it’s already about the originals, and he’s probably THE original. Now he’s a heel there, so it’ll only get bigger and better for him.

7 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I think Tony khan is going to try and maintain his friendly promoter image by not releasing bunch of people.

This may just be semantics and what you actually meant anyways, I just want to make sure it's highlighted.

It is an intentional choice. Unless there is a behavior issue (ala speaking out) or a request from an unhappy talent (ala Kylie Rae) AEW does not release people. They are the anti WWE. They are going to pay you your entire contract, no matter what. They don't do early cuts (without cause) like WWE. Ain't no budget cuts here brother. They will choose to not re-sign people when their contract ends. But if you get a 3 year deal, you;'re getting paid for the whole 3 years. Regardless if Tony accidentally signs 500 new wrestlers, you won't be cut just because.

But AEW doesn't do releases. At all. Period.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

This may just be semantics and what you actually meant anyways, I just want to make sure it's highlighted.

It is an intentional choice. Unless there is a behavior issue (ala speaking out) or a request from an unhappy talent (ala Kylie Rae) AEW does not release people. They are the anti WWE. They are going to pay you your entire contract, no matter what. They don't do early cuts (without cause) like WWE. Ain't no budget cuts here brother. They will choose to not re-sign people when their contract ends. But if you get a 3 year deal, you;'re getting paid for the whole 3 years. Regardless if Tony accidentally signs 500 new wrestlers, you won't be cut just because.

But AEW doesn't do releases. At all. Period.

I get that and all, and I realize this is not the same thing, but what is going on with Brian Cage? They re-upped his contract. He's apparently healthy and ready to work. They let him get booked elsewhere. Yet why is AEW so hands off with him? Seems bizarre.

Miro is also apparently healthy and ready to work as well.

With Cage, they re-signed him for a reason. I'm not sure what that reason is, but they have to have something in mind. And he must want to be there. It was an option on the contract like NFL has with rookies, which the company has full discretion to exercise but the talent doesn't have a say. That not withstanding, he obviously still wants to be there. They haven't been signing people that want to leave. So if Cage wanted out, I don't think they would have forced the contract option years on him.

Miro is healthy. He just has to wait his turn in the rotation I guess. I hope they have an idea for him and are just waiting on executing it. But who knows for sure. AEW has a lot of hoss workers. Seems like they only use 2 or 3 of them at a time and rotate them. Miro & Archer were used heavily while Wardlow & Luchasuarus didn't do much for a while. Now Wardlow & Luchasaurus are on every week and Miro & Archer don't have much to do. Throw in Keith Lee & Hobbs being used regularly right now. Only so many spots that make sense for those guys. Especially with the strict match total formula AEW uses.

5 hours ago, zendragon said:

I've never seen a Joey Janella match that made me want to see a second Joey Janella match

This was perfectly  said, thank you!

Based on BTE, I guess he got internet famous for falling off a building into a dump truck or something and amused the Young Bucks with his goofy promos but I was baffled by the signing.

His physique was embarrassingly bad for a wrestler presented on tv and he literally looked like a child next to Moxley.

And he was awful at wrestling. The last time I saw him wrestle he busted open Hangman and nearly dropped him on his head trying to a suplex he clearly didn’t have the strength to do.

If AEW did cut people he 100% should have been cut after that match.

Anyway, it’s good that he has a following on the indies hopefully he doesn’t hurt anyone and hopefully I never have to see him on tv again.

• Like 2

R U JR?  He could have used some smoke and mirrors in the era against Mox, but Janela's physique by contract's end was hardly embarrassing.  It was the result of putting in a lot of gym time.  Certainly Janela is expendable as the roster grows stronger, but passing along the idea that this guy got a job based simply on a risky spot (that AEW would never ask him to do) or who he's friends with is so lame.  This guy is a hard worker.  Any failings inside the ring doesn't take away from the fact that this guy is a hustler.  I don't always love his work, but it's hard not to admire the amount of solid work he puts in (in front of and behind the camera).    

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 8

18 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Miro is healthy. He just has to wait his turn in the rotation I guess. I hope they have an idea for him and are just waiting on executing it. But who knows for sure. AEW has a lot of hoss workers. Seems like they only use 2 or 3 of them at a time and rotate them. Miro & Archer were used heavily while Wardlow & Luchasuarus didn't do much for a while. Now Wardlow & Luchasaurus are on every week and Miro & Archer don't have much to do. Throw in Keith Lee & Hobbs being used regularly right now. Only so many spots that make sense for those guys. Especially with the strict match total formula AEW uses.

I kind of like that Miro is healthy and away until they have something for him.  I kind of hope they rotate guys in and out so that there are always fresh match ups and the possibility of a surprise return.  Right now, Omega and Miro are off TV and they have more than enough to keep the show going in the right direction.  If they come back and two other guys rotate out for a couple months, I'll have no problem with it at all.

• Like 8

Brian Cage sucks and is the epitome of dead weight. I'd rather have Janella than Cage.

EDIT: To add to this, Cage brings nothing to the table that Lee, Miro, Hobbs, Archer, and others don't already bring to it. Cage would be far better as a big fish in a small pond or in WWE just treading water over there. Let him and Vince go rep for rep on bench presses or something.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 3