DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2022

matt925

Paige had, what, 5 wins in UFC? A 5-round loss against Rose is nothing to sneer at. She wasn’t a championship Calibre fighter but she was a more-than-capable member of the roster and at peak probably a top 10 fighter in her division. A legitimate athlete who then found more money in Dancing with the stars, photo shoots, media etc. It happens. V big pick up for AEW (probably paying her a fortune). Jade / Paige will be the money angle.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

Maybe it’s wishful thinking but I think we get another California announcement on Monday. I think they’re just waiting for LA to go on sale before announcing more. 

When aew started I posted here speculating about what venues they could run in the Bay Area. My pick at the time was freeborn hall at uc Berkeley. In the two lifetimes since, that venue has been shut down. The only other major university with an arena here is Stanford, and that is too small and outdated. San Jose state can only fit 5k for wrestling, and it’s an awesome venue to be at but it looks exactly like a bigger typical high school gymnasium. Cow palace is way too outdated and wwe hasn’t run there in 17 years. That leaves the three big arenas. The chase center in San Francisco is probably too expensive and maybe too ambitious due to the cost. Maybe a better fit would be sap center in San Jose where the sharks play. That’s an older venue that is probably cheaper than chase, but it’s still nice.

I think the best pick of all would be Oakland arena, which is the former home of the warriors. That’s gonna be a lot cheaper than the other two, as it is destined to end up like the cow palace. I don’t think it’s a bad idea to try a full size arena the first time through, if the price is right. The first new japan show in the bay drew 6500, and that was with Kenny and the bucks and half the people there wearing bullet club shirts. Doesn’t matter if it’s Wednesday afternoon, for damn sure aew beats new japan. I think they do 10k easy. 

On 3/10/2022 at 2:45 PM, Log said:

I think her gaining notoriety was from not only being a fighter, but doing bare knuckle fighting while looking like she does.  Not to get all "settle down Logcito", but her Instagram is nice.

If Valerie Loureda (Google Image Search is your friend) ever decides to do pro wrestling, they might have to put a muzzle on all the guys around ringside. Straightjackets as well.

She's also American Top Team as well BTW. Lambert should get her on AEW TV.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Casey said:

anyway, the LA Forum pre-sale sold out in six minutes.

Not sure where you got that, but it’s off to a fantastic start. They don’t even advertise presales, all their media is for the on sale tomorrow. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, matt925 said:

Not sure where you got that, but it’s off to a fantastic start. They don’t even advertise presales, all their media is for the on sale tomorrow. 

Marc Raimondi of ESPN

also PWInsider had the code for the presale yesterday, there was an article on their site about it.

Edited by Casey

23 minutes ago, Casey said:

Marc Raimondi of ESPN

also PWInsider had the code for the presale yesterday, there was an article on their site about it.

They must have just been referring to whatever the initial allotment was before they opened more sections. It’s semantics, nice day for sales!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, A_K said:

Paige had, what, 5 wins in UFC? A 5-round loss against Rose is nothing to sneer at. She wasn’t a championship Calibre fighter but she was a more-than-capable member of the roster and at peak probably a top 10 fighter in her division. A legitimate athlete who then found more money in Dancing with the stars, photo shoots, media etc. It happens. V big pick up for AEW (probably paying her a fortune). Jade / Paige will be the money angle.

Awesome fight that Paige/Rose was, very shades of pro wrestling in it and ended with a ton of bloodshed. I think she could potentially be great here.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'm fine with the tag division having one prestigous set of belts.  I think it's growing up with NWA/WCW having so many worthless belts at one time or another (NWA International Title, Western States Heritage Title, US Tag Titles, Six Man Tag Titles, etc. etc.) that I'm all for less belts.  I'd also love it if somebody could take Starks' FTW belt and both Hennig it and Madusa it.  Belts don't mean anything when a) they get passed around constantly and b) when there are too many of them.  

Make sure the trash gets hauled away from the arena or someone might Duggan it.

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, Gorman said:

Make sure the trash gets hauled away from the arena or someone might Duggan it.

Yeah, good call.  That's a risk you run. Did anybody else out there kinda love that clean shaven turncoat Canadian version of Jim Duggan?   

• Like 2

The forum is 550 tickets shy of selling out. 12,586 full capacity. And the Ontario show is less than 1k tickets from selling out. I thought they were fools to do the two shows in the same market, but clearly I was the fool. 

Now do Bay Area please. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

The forum is 550 tickets shy of selling out. 12,586 full capacity. And the Ontario show is less than 1k tickets from selling out. I thought they were fools to do the two shows in the same market, but clearly I was the fool. 

Now do Bay Area please. 

O.co so I can take Bart.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

It will be Wrestling at the Chase 

If that’s the case, wwe has done I think two smackdowns and 1 raw at chase center since it opened, and all the shows were crazy low attendance 2500-3500, with $25 tickets. I was strongly thinking about going to the first smackdown to check out the new arena for $25, but I had to work late that day. I think there will be some interesting announcement on Monday. 

53 minutes ago, matt925 said:

If that’s the case, wwe has done I think two smackdowns and 1 raw at chase center since it opened, and all the shows were crazy low attendance 2500-3500, with $25 tickets. I was strongly thinking about going to the first smackdown to check out the new arena for $25, but I had to work late that day. I think there will be some interesting announcement on Monday. 

i might be wrong - but weren't both shows during hardcore covid restrictions? 

I could see AEW at the O.co... but the purist in me wants to see them at the Cow Palace.

It would be much easier for me coming from Napa to hit up the Oakland Arena... I would definitely not go if it was at the Chase Center, as I avoid SF like the plague these days.