DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2022

matt925

Very interested in what feels like a last Jeff Hardy big-time run here. He's a guy that probably has been given too many chances over the years but he has such an inherent likability and crowd connection that you don't really begrudge him too much. He's a guy that despite everything he's done feels like he slightly underachieved. Most of it was his own choices and  some was just WWE booking over the years but he has the chance to have some really big matches with guys like Darby, or Sammy, or even the Omegas or the Bucks that can really put a capstone on what I think is a credible HOF career. 

• Like 3

I won't argue with the boost a Jeff Hardy signing potentially does for AEW, but to anyone that's been watching him the last few years, is he capable of having actual quality matches in 2022?  During that run-in last night, he looked as @MoeCristyV.1.6mentioned in the show thread, as worn and disheveled as RVD's recent Impact run.  Can the Bucks, FTR, Red Dragon, etc. carry these wounded soldiers?

23 minutes ago, JLowe said:

The best use of the Hardys at this point IMO is to put over the young talent.

well, yes and that's what ultimately will happen but AEW is pretty good at treating "legendary" acts appropriately. They're not gonna win the tag belts I imagine but you can get some pretty big matches against the Bucks, FTR, Mox/Danielson as well. 

With Jeff, it's always that weird thing that he can randomly catch fire and be the biggest babyface in the company one week. He's that level of charisma. 

But yeah, ultimately it seems like the Hardys would be a great act to establish a Top Flight at the next level. But no reason to rush to that. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I won't argue with the boost a Jeff Hardy signing potentially does for AEW, but to anyone that's been watching him the last few years, is he capable of having actual quality matches in 2022?  During that run-in last night, he looked as @MoeCristyV.1.6mentioned in the show thread, as worn and disheveled as RVD's recent Impact run.  Can the Bucks, FTR, Red Dragon, etc. carry these wounded soldiers?

#FTR can. Best tag team in the world since 2016.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

Man, what a week for AEW. I thought about bumping the navel gazing thread to post this, and hope I don’t sound too much like a fanboy, but if there’s any chance CoachTK is reading this I just want to sincerely say thank you. I get all the counter-arguments about growing the audience or whatever else, but I’m not sure I’ve had this experience where a big budget entertainment medium feels like it was written very specifically for me, for us - this relatively narrow sliver of DVDVR and similar fans of this already-niche entertainment product. It’s just so, so awesome to experience. Not taking it for granted.

Absolutely, came here to post the same thing. Thank you AEW. 

I was disillusioned with wrestling before AEW. Now in the last week, we've had the amazing Eddie/Jericho, Punk/MJF matches, Regal's debut (one of my Mt.Rushmores) and now Jeff debuting to lock eyes with Darby.

This is AEW in its peak. A few years ago people weren't sure what it was going to look like when they got rolling, well look no longer. We've found it. I watched Revolution and Dynamite this week with tears in my eyes numerous times. Shit even Scorpio winning got me going. I love wrestling so much right now. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Yikes. They should seriously do a tag league with all of this talent. Run it on Dark, Rampage, ROH if you want to use that brand for TV.

Time for a TNT or TBS (or just call it Turner Networks?  Or something else entirely) tag title?  Shit, call it the Bobby Eaton Tag Team Championship.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Time for a TNT or TBS (or just call it Turner Networks?  Or something else entirely) tag title?  Shit, call it the Bobby Eaton Tag Team Championship.

Trios title solves it all. They have so many teams that have a natural fit with three people. And it gives some variety. 

• Like 3

I like the idea of an annual trios tournament.  You could mix up the teams every year, and there'd be some good stories of people getting teams together in the lead-up to it.  Also, you can bring in special people for short runs for it.

Someone here said "more tournaments, not titles" and I feel the same way.

• Like 2

So the newest signing

Spoiler

Paige VanZant

is going to start training with Gangrel (or already has). Keep in mind, that Gangrel (and Rikishi) were the ones to train some dude named Miro when he first came to the States.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 5

I have negative interest in watching MMA so I have no idea who Paige VanZant is beyond what I've seen of her in AEW. And she has giant star written all over her. She knows how to do all sorts of great heel trash talk and show attitude already. She has an insane amount of charisma. I don't think it will take long for her to adjust to pro wrestling at all. 

• Like 1

Also: I very much hope FTR hires Vicki as their new manager. Their brief work together in Mexico was heel perfection. It is a partnership I did not know I need but we as a world have been through so much, give us that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

I have negative interest in watching MMA so I have no idea who Paige VanZant is beyond what I've seen of her in AEW. And she has giant star written all over her. She knows how to do all sorts of great heel trash talk and show attitude already. She has an insane amount of charisma. I don't think it will take long for her to adjust to pro wrestling at all. 

You missed literally nothing of her in MMA. She wasn't very good, but she always had a lot of charisma and seemed better suited for pro wrestling than MMA. It took her awhile to get there, but at least she's where she'll probably perform best.

8 minutes ago, Craig H said:

You missed literally nothing of her in MMA. She wasn't very good, but she always had a lot of charisma and seemed better suited for pro wrestling than MMA. It took her awhile to get there, but at least she's where she'll probably perform best.

I'm honestly surprised that VKM let a pretty blonde enhanced former MMA fighter get away. 

• Like 1

I think her gaining notoriety was from not only being a fighter, but doing bare knuckle fighting while looking like she does.  Not to get all "settle down Logcito", but her Instagram is nice.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Log said:

I think her gaining notoriety was from not only being a fighter, but doing bare knuckle fighting while looking like she does.  Not to get all "settle down Logcito", but her Instagram is nice.

You should see her Reddit account. because she’s already posting on the AEW sub, you see.

anyway, the LA Forum pre-sale sold out in six minutes.

22 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Also: I very much hope FTR hires Vicki as their new manager. Their brief work together in Mexico was heel perfection. It is a partnership I did not know I need but we as a world have been through so much, give us that.

This isn't as good as my amazing Renee idea, but there's absolutely no way to spin what they did as a heel move.

There's no point in suggesting heel managers to them.

They care about their families. They want to stand for something and show a daughter she can be anything. They want revenge on the two heel teams, ReDRagon and the Bucks.

They're babyfaces now.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

This isn't as good as my amazing Renee idea, but there's absolutely no way to spin what they did as a heel move.

There's no point in suggesting heel managers to them.

They care about their families. They want to stand for something and show a daughter she can be anything. They want revenge on the two heel teams, ReDRagon and the Bucks.

They're babyfaces now.

I didn’t even watch the segment yet hahaha

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I loved Vickie with them in Mexico too.

Did you hear Dax on the podcast yet? I think you'd personally find it compelling.

Renee’s episode with Cash Wheeler is pretty good too. 

• Like 2

I'm fine with the tag division having one prestigous set of belts.  I think it's growing up with NWA/WCW having so many worthless belts at one time or another (NWA International Title, Western States Heritage Title, US Tag Titles, Six Man Tag Titles, etc. etc.) that I'm all for less belts.  I'd also love it if somebody could take Starks' FTW belt and both Hennig it and Madusa it.  Belts don't mean anything when a) they get passed around constantly and b) when there are too many of them.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus