DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2022

matt925

1 hour ago, A_K said:

They had more discernibly defined weight classes during the most successful commercial period in the history of the industry. It really doesn't take much of a leap of faith, nor does it mean dividing weight classes down to the nth degree of the 17 weight classes in boxing, or even the 9 weight classes in UFC.

Por que? The 80s WWF expansion with Hogan had zero weight classes. The world title was a heavyweight title but any male in the company could compete for it essentially. The Monday Night Wars era only had one weight class exception, Cruiserweight / Light Heavyweight. And the most profitable era in the history of pro wrestling is the current era of WWE. And there are officially zero now. I'm not sure if I misunderstood your statement or what. But pretttyyy far off base with this claim. So what are you referring to?

1 hour ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

What 'pro wrestling' is isn't some immutable thing, but it did originate in realism and whilst I'm not advocating AEW become Battlarts or anything, you are treading a bit too close to a Russoist view of pro wrestling.

You take that back right now! ? I am certainly no Russo-ist. I enjoy my wrestling with structure and rules. Rankings are a good storytelling tool. Having a pseudo sports like presentation of your rules I am on board with. I think weight classes just segment things too much. In your instance of a super heavyweight title consider this, to justify the existence of the title it needs to have a certain amount of people active in the division. So while you said having it wouldn't preclude Wardlow or Keith Lee from challenging for the world title, the practicality of needing bodies for it would. If you have 8 hosses and you take two away to be in a world title feud, you're risking the super heavyweight title division getting pretty bare.

If that's hard to follow liken it to current day WWE. They kept moving cruiserweights from NXT to the main roster. Buddy Murphy. Gulak. Lucha House Party. At certain point if you keep elevating people without restocking then the segmented weight class becomes stale and repetitive. And it's easy to say well just restock it. Well it's not that easy to juggle. It's just too limiting of a thing in practicality with no upside. Run a hoss tournament. Do a hoss specialty match once a year. There's a lot more creative ideas to showcase the idea you're in favor of than just throwing another title onto the pile.

This will get me heat with the majority of the AEW posters here, but I am also against trios titles for much the same reason. But that's a discussion for a different day lol.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Por que? The 80s WWF expansion with Hogan had zero weight classes. The world title was a heavyweight title but any male in the company could compete for it essentially. The Monday Night Wars era only had one weight class exception, Cruiserweight / Light Heavyweight. And the most profitable era in the history of pro wrestling is the current era of WWE. And there are officially zero now. I'm not sure if I misunderstood your statement or what. But pretttyyy far off base with this claim. So what are you referring to?

Don't be a joker. Are you seriously going to compare contemporary WWE viewership & general eminence w/ WWF/WCW from '96 onwards when the cruiserweight/light heavyweight divisions would be the preserve of Eddie/Malenko/Rey/Hardy/X Pac etc. Like-for-like financialfigures are not relevant with inflation at play, nor with the fact that until the past 18 months WWE has ran unopposed. The top-20 most watched episodes of the product on national television were all aired at the time when the Cruiserweight/Light Heavyweight titles were in play; that is how the product was formulated at the point in time when it had most eminence. Good luck trying to find a heavyweight champion from prior to that period who was not a heavyweight in body type (even Brett / Shawn / Flair were good 6" fters). Contemporary WWE viewership is in the absolute doldrums, and even strongholds like MSG have seen a strong downtrend in attendance and demand in tickets. The product is not popular. As I noted, you do not need the 17 or 9 weight class divisions to relay the idea; even the 2 divisions (Cruiser / Heavy) can be effective as it undeniably was previously.

Edited by A_K

Okay I understand your point more clearly now.

11 minutes ago, A_K said:

The top-20 most watched episodes of the product on national television were all aired at the time when the Cruiserweight/Light Heavyweight titles were in play; that is how the product was formulated at the point in time when it had most eminence. Good luck trying to find a heavyweight champion from prior to that period who was not a heavyweight in body type (even Brett / Shawn / Flair were good 6" fters).

This is the exact point of why weight classes are out dated and unnecessary now. Let's look at March of 1996 - August of 1999. WCW before Russo came in when the cruiserweight division was at it's most prominent. Who held the world title in this period. Flair, Big Show, Hogan, Luger, Savage, Sting, Nash, & Goldberg. Not a single smaller worker get a run. There needed to be a separate prize for those amazing workers that had no chance of breaking through. Now who were the main cruiserweight champions during this period? Rey, Eddy, Jericho, Malenko, Syxx, & Juvi. Half of this list have been world champions since.

The business has evolved. In 1996 an Eddy Guerrero couldn't beat a Hulk Hogan. In the mid 2000s, 2010s, 2020s, he could. With Eddy & Rey & Jericho the glass ceiling broke. Having a dedicated title for the smaller guys to fight over didn't really make sense anymore. Rey Mysterio is the world heavyweight champion and Jamie Knoble is the cruiserweight champion. What merit did a cruiserweight title have if the small guy was also the top guy? It made a cruiserweight title redundant in an era when the best worker, regardless of size, could potentially get world title runs.

28 minutes ago, A_K said:

Are you seriously going to compare contemporary WWE viewership & general eminence w/ WWF/WCW from '96 onwards when the cruiserweight/light heavyweight divisions would be the preserve of Eddie/Malenko/Rey/Hardy/X Pac etc. Like-for-like financialfigures are not relevant with inflation at play, nor with the fact that until the past 18 months WWE has ran unopposed. The top-20 most watched episodes of the product on national television were all aired at the time when the Cruiserweight/Light Heavyweight titles were in play; that is how the product was formulated at the point in time when it had most eminence.

It's valid to say comparing profitability over time isn't a fair argument because of inflation / changes in finances. That is a good point. But that point would then also extend to say comparing viewership over time and how that isn't a fair argument because of the increase in networks available / streaming & cord cutters. You don't get to have it both ways. If you disregard the money comparisons as apples to oranges, the viewership would also apples to oranges. Because in 1996 my cable tv had 50 channels. In 2022 my DirecTV has over 1,000 channels with the sports and music channels.

You throwing out my profitability talking point is just as fair as me throwing out your viewership talking point. So the highest rated / most watched episodes having a cruiserweight division is irrelevant. Just like the most profitable eras not having weight divisions is irrelevant.

56 minutes ago, matwarz said:

Bryan just being the most pro-wrestling pro-wrestler there is.

"I'd be able to spend more time with my family, and I'd also be able to bleed."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

These interviews that Garret and Dave do are absolutely top notch. Bryan is really engaging and interesting. They cover a bunch of topics and go off on numerous thought provoking tangents. It’s a very enlightening and entertaining chat that you should make time for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Octopus said:

Then dye his beard and become Blackbeard.

I could just see Vince's reaction if this were to actually happen. "God damn pal, these guys are amateurs! They call this guy Blackbeard but he doesn't have a hook hand, an eye patch or even a fake parrot on his shoulder!"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I think on Rampage there was an AEW commercial that aired during the PIP like what is the point of that? I'm already watching the show!

Also I'd like a "My Fair Lady" story where Keith Lee trys to teach Abaddon the ways of the humans 'Say greetings and Salutations"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, matwarz said:

These interviews that Garret and Dave do are absolutely top notch. Bryan is really engaging and interesting. They cover a bunch of topics and go off on numerous thought provoking tangents. It’s a very enlightening and entertaining chat that you should make time for.

This interview was the exception to the rule, in my own meaningless opinion.  Dave is already pretty dry and Garrett and Dave together is the cure for insomnia.  Dave and Garrett doing interviews?  Yes, please.  Dave and Garrett discussing ratings or the state of the industry?  Pass the arsenic.

• Like 2

Interviews with the likes of Danielson and others are the only thing making me miss subscribing to WO.  I got tired of listening to the other stuff as it was largely the same format.  But I might give this a couple months and subscribe for a month so I can binge on some of these interviews.

For the record, I take back what I said about the Jericho transformation pics. Even after that match was over he retained the six pack. Didn't realize how much his body had changed. And I think it's because generally he always looked good during his entrances even when he wasn't in this good of shape. But he deserves a ton of credit for getting into that good of shape, especially when he's a made man and doesn't have to.

• Like 6

I'm a fan of Adam Cole and Adam Page.  And I liked the match.  With that said, those entrance costumes, especially Cole's, would surely rank pretty high on a list of 'most embarrassing entrances costumes' in the rich history of pro wrestling. 

I'd like to have a look at that list.

• Haha 1

With Jade's performances every match getting better and better, and the common shots of her cute daughter in the crowd, Sterling's going to have to earn his money keeping her heel over the next few months.

The way she has improved and the moves she has added into her arsenal (inspired by BD no less) is a very face thing to do, to see visible hard work pan out on camera. That frog-splash was perfect.

I reiterate here, Tay Conti will be heel by the end of 2022 in my opinion, be crazy if Jade turned face too. Slow burns, but I sense it~! (I have been wrong before, this is not a professional's opinion.)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

I'm a fan of Adam Cole and Adam Page.  And I liked the match.  With that said, those entrance costumes, especially Cole's, would surely rank pretty high on a list of 'most embarrassing entrances costumes' in the rich history of pro wrestling. 

I'd like to have a look at that list.

Hangman was just wearing a cowboy vest with pride colored tassels. The fuck dude?

Fair play on the Halo inspired gear for Cole, though. He basically just took the Road Warriors shoulder pads and made them Spartan themed, and had some Halo trunks.

• Like 2

Yeah, okay, fair, pass to Hangman on the awful looking but social conscious inspired entrance gear.  And apologies to the gaming community for finding Adam Cole's entrance attire embarrassing.  And again, thanks to both for a nice piece of business last night.

• Like 1

In the 2020s, wrestling weight classes make no sense. Cruiserweights don't want to be seen as cruiserweights. In WWE, Cruiserweight division was the minor leagues. It either meant you were a throwaway match on Raw or SmackDown or 205 Live, or the Kickoff show. It was less than a novelty act by the time 205 Live came around, much like the 24/7 title.

Also, the cruiserweight wrestlers are already competing in the main event with the bigger guys. It makes even less sense in AEW. Bryan Danielson, one of your top stars, is basically a cruiserweight.

I don't see how Cole's entrance attire was any less embarrassing than Triple H as Terminator or Skeletor or what have you.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 11:24 AM, The Natural said:

Sting's return to the ring last year in AEW after six years knowing what happened to him in WWE is one of the most amazing comebacks ever. I thought a cinematic match was possible with very slim odds. We got that at AEW Revolution 2021 and since then actual tag team matches, all with Darby Allin. The best of which w/ Darby Allin vs. #FTR at AEW Revolution: Grand Slam, 22nd September 2021. Would a singles match happen and with whom?

FNSofjpX0AEd7Lc?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1

When I made my comment about weight classes, I didn't strongly advocate for it - I just said I wouldn't actually have a problem with it if they slowly (note the adjective) went that way. But the point is AEW could just as easily be a place where a 'Cruiserweight' Title can be a top title, can be the main event. AEW can, potentially, maybe, evolve pro wrestling away from the strictures of New York.

Conor McGregor is a lightweight. Mayweather was a welterweight.