DVDVR Message Board

AEW - MAR 2022

matt925

Biggest bits of news out of that so far (2:05) are that apparently Kenny coming back will lead to a trios titles and that Page/Cole will main event over Britt/Rosa (which makes sense if this isn't Rosa's moment to win, I guess, but maybe not otherwise).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Another Tony Khan conference call. This is all transcribed by Sean Ross Sapp on Twitter. Posting it in spoilers due to length.

Spoiler

-Tony Khan reiterates the big announcement on AEW Dynamite

-Tony tells F4W says he's given hints, but doesn't want to give away too much. He says he thinks it's a major announcement that is great for fans and wrestlers.

-Tony is asked by Wrestlenomics and Meltzer about growing particular demographics and the relationship with Warner. He says Warner has seemed happy and he's hoping they're in the strongest position they've ever been in when it comes time for a new rights fee deal.

-Tony Khan tells Greg Oliver it's tough to manage a huge roster, but hey have a really great one, and it's a very exciting one to add to.

-In regards to Cody Rhodes: "It was very sad to see Cody and Brandi leave AEW. I haven't said much, but what I do have to say is very positive. I thank them for helping grow the company and I wish them the best."- Tony Khan

-Tony Khan says the history between Dr. Britt Baker DMD and Thunder Rosa adds to the match, and he's very excited about their match.

-Mike Johnson asks about a potential streaming deal for AEW. Tony Khan says he's been asked that several times today, and he thinks that would be great for the wrestling world and fans, and it makes sense.

Tony Khan tells Chris Mueller he's leaving things up to a lot of the wrestlers if they want to use the Who We Are songs as their official themes. He says Scorpio Sky was a name interested in doing that.

-Tony Khan confirms they're looking at some bigger venues for AEW PPVs, as evidenced with T-Mobile Arena. Said in this case it made sense

-Tony Khan tells Stephanie Chase the match order is a tough one to determine for AEW Revolution, as it's a loaded card.

-Tony Khan can't announce anything today, but wants to go to Craven Cottage in the future for a UK date.

-Tony Khan tells Nick Hausman that he likes Jeff Hardy a lot, but he's still under contract to another company. He'd love to have Jeff Hardy, but doesn't think it should be a "foregone conclusion"

-Tony Khan tells Jason Powell he tried to reach a longer agreement beyond the option years with Cody Rhodes. At one point it seemed like it was going to happen, but when they didn't come to terms on that, it became clear Cody was leaving AEW

-Tony Khan tells me that when Kenny Omega comes back, they're more likely to do a trios title. He thinks that helps bolster that division with Kenny Omega back in the fold. It certainly seems like Trios Titles are coming to AEW in the future.

-Tony tells Will Washington that Britt Baker vs. Thunder Rosa isn't going on last, but it's one of the biggest match they have. He says they're absolutely main event worthy

-Adam Cole vs. Hangman Page is planned to go on last at AEW Revolution, per Tony Khan to Will Washington

-Jon Alba asks Tony Khan about Cesaro/Claudio Castagnoli. Tony likes him a lot (Cesaro, not Alba). He calls Claudio a fantastic athlete that has few peers physically and mentally. He's open to bringing him in.

-They will be recording some video game content at AEW Dark with the audience. They've recorded some voiceovers lately.

-Tony Khan tells Izzy he loves having Cody Rhodes, but he's done two All Out shows without Cody. They're confident they can continue to put on great shows without him.

-Tony Khan tells Bill Pritchard that Orange Cassidy and Danhausen are way different talent. There's plenty of appeal, but they're not exactly the same. They compliment each other well. He puts over Orange Cassidy for helping draw good numbers for his matches

Edited by Krone Meltzer
  • Like 2

I can't argue against that either. Now would be the perfect time to have your women main event with this much build up. Makes me wonder if TK is also trying to save that for Jade in the maybe not so distant future (2023?) as another check on her resume. Which would suck because these two ladies absolutely deserve that spot - but who knows. Maybe we will also get a rubber match as the main event of DoN in another gimmick match.

7 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Has there been any word on if Dynamite or Rampage will have any pre-emptions due to March Madness?

Only the March 16 show will probably be affected - TBS has one of the First Four games - time is TBD. That is the only Wednesday of the NCAA tournament.

And there is no NCAA coverage on TNT

• Thanks 1

March 16 Dynamite could be pretty important.  That would suuuuuck if it isn’t live.

This will be Thunder Rosa’s title win.  I guess it was taped last year as well though.

After tonight I am not really prepared to call a new champ for the ladies on Sunday.  The date and location match up quite conveniently and that can’t be 100% coincidence.  

I'm not sold on Thunder Rosa winning the title being the best idea.  She's worked hard to get herself over and generally speaking (last night less included) has a great connection with the audience.  That said, her in ring work is soooo inconsistent.  Sometimes she looks slow and sluggish, but then so does Britt from time to time.  I do think a flip flop of the title with Britt could be good, but kinda want the long term title holder to be a consistent quality match giver (eg. Deeb or Hayter).  Or a star like Britt; which she's not far off from.     

• Thanks 1

Just now, HarryArchieGus said:

I dug that bout, but you could hear a pindrop in that late 4th hour.  I think that's at least part of the definition 'death slot'.  

I might be mis-remembering, but I don't recall the crowd being all that dead for it. Plus the debuts after the match.

2 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I might be mis-remembering, but I don't recall the crowd being all that dead for it. Plus the debuts after the match.

Crowd wasn't bad for the match, but it was toned from most of the previous matches that night. The two factors in that was no one believed that Christian was going to win and the likely debut of Danielson after the match.

However, crowd at Full Gear was still super hot for Hangman-Omega main event and think that they will be plenty into Hangman-Cole.

On 3/2/2022 at 4:38 PM, RIPPA said:

Only the March 16 show will probably be affected - TBS has one of the First Four games - time is TBD. That is the only Wednesday of the NCAA tournament.

And there is no NCAA coverage on TNT

Friday, March 18th might be affected, as there are games on both TBS and TNT that night.

Containing the Cody-verse to ROH would be a massive win for all parties.

He could pop up in AEW from time to time, otherwise let him fantasy book to his heart's desire in a feeder/developmental promotion.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 4