DVDVR Message Board

March 2022 Wrestling GIFS and Pics

17 hours ago, Wee Bey said:

896781-BF-E3-D5-49-FA-91-A5-4344088-F125

Hall actually gave those kids that IC title because he was so moved by their stories. He called up Vince right after the show. This was in an era where they didn't have a billion replicas for various purposes and Hall thought that at the very least, Vince would dock his pay. Vince was like, "you did the right thing, we can always make another belt."

Skip to 1:27 for Hall telling the story. He kept in touch with the little girl who became an HIV activist.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was watching Raw out of the corner of my eye while looking at the computer last night and even that way I saw near constant zooms and camera cuts. One of these days I'm gonna watch a match and count them. 

In all seriousness- it isn't the bland product that really turned me off the WWE... it's all the damn camera cuts. It's incredibly annoying.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

In all seriousness- it isn't the bland product that really turned me off the WWE... it's all the damn camera cuts. It's incredibly annoying.

Same here.  It's the whole production aesthetic.  I'm sure the wrestling is great, so I could overlook the booking and at least watch matches in a vacuum if it wasn't for the production.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Log said:

Same here.  It's the whole production aesthetic.  I'm sure the wrestling is great, so I could overlook the booking and at least watch matches in a vacuum if it wasn't for the production.

Watching a match from the early 00s or 90s is a vastly different experience. Camera was pulled back more. You didn't see the gaping holes in holds or the light touches. It made for a better product. Camera zoomed in for facial expressions at the appropriate times and that was mainly it. 

• Like 6

Apart from repetitiveness, the overproduced feel of WWE was one of the main reasons I stopped watching and struggle to even go watch single matches from time to time.

It’s not only the ridiculous amounts of cuts and zooms, but the whole presentation is very “sterile” and I feel there’s a big disconnection between what’s happening in the ring and what gets through my TV, I just can’t get into anything they do nowadays because of this.

Compare this to let’s say the crap 2 cam production from PWG where you feel like you're part of the crowd and are fully immersed in anything that’s happening. There’s no doubt to which is more enjoyable.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 10

17 minutes ago, eikerir said:

Apart from repetitiveness, the overproduced feel of WWE was one of the main reasons I stopped watching and struggle to even go watch single matches from time to time.

It’s not only the ridiculous amounts of cuts and zooms, but the whole presentation is very “sterile” and I feel there’s a big disconnection between what’s happening in the ring and what gets through my TV, I just can’t get into anything they do nowadays because of this.

Compare this to let’s say the crap 2 cam production from PWG where you feel like you're part of the crowd and are fully immersed in anything that’s happening. There’s no doubt to which is more enjoyable.

I have incredibly low standards for wrestling production. A one camera show & that one camera isn't even a hardcam? Sure, if the wrestling is good I'll sit through it. Old ROH DVDs where they had clearly never heard of colour balancing or lighting (never mind the quality of in-ring promos being nil). Grainy rips of 5th gen tapes of ECW TV so I can watch it with the proper music like God intended. Whatever. But this modern era of WWE, I just cannot do it. Physically I can't. It makes me feel mildly nauseous. Not massively ill or anything, but it induces the same sort of feeling I sometimes get if I'm sitting in the rear seat of a car with & reading. All this motion & rapid cuts, it's just an unpleasant experience. When I have bothered to check a hyped NXTUK match it doesn't seem quite as intolerable but I have genuinely no idea why they choose to film their TV like that. OK, I have some idea but I think they are seriously wrong, it just doesn't work.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Log said:

Every time I tried to give WWE a try the past few years I would watch for 15-20 minutes and no wrestling would even happen, it’s why I gave up even trying.

Edited by JLowe
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

When I read WWE threads here or try to follow what's going on by reading websites: The name-changes, booking, angles, and storylines generally seem to range from bafflingly stupid to full on rage-inducing.

When I watch clips on YouTube or Twitter or wherever: The actual wrestling (per se) is always really good. The zooming, swooping, always-cutting camera is always awful. These wrestlers are obviously among the very best in the world at what they do. Why not just let us watch them do it?

But:

When I try to actually watch a full WWE show what really kills me is the endless corporate-speak.

You can't say wrestler, you have to say superstar. You can't say belt or strap, you have to say championship. You have to use everyone's full name every time you mention anybody. "Local medical facility" "Championship Opportunity" "here at WWE (full name of PPV)" 

Oh, sorry, you can't say PPV any more, can you? 

"We thank Gordlow for his contribution to the WWE Universe, and wish him well in his future endeavours"

And then on some websites you can even read absolute nonsense like " Two superstars were sent to a local medical facility following their championship showdown at (sponsors) present (full name of premium event) at (full name of arena). "

Don't know whether to laugh or weep.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

We will never undo the cultural damage that Fight Club did to a whole generation of dudes.

...especially since they completely missed the point, where a guy kills the uber toxic masc side of himself and embraces the love of a woman to finally grow the fuck up. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

...especially since they completely missed the point, where a guy kills the uber toxic masc side of himself and embraces the love of a woman to finally grow the fuck up. 

WRONG.  The movie was clearly about fighting dudes and laughing at the phrase bitch tits.

• Haha 9

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

FN7fl9tXoAE9-i6?format=jpg&name=small

Miz, Tarver, and Daniel Bryan all with proper reactions to someone running down the CYN "rules". 

Now that I see him in this pic, how has Ryback not gotten wrapped up in the CYN thing yet? At the very least, if they really want to stand out in a "no type suicidas and no Canadian destroyers" way, booking Ryback vs Braun as a big man main event battle seems like a way to do so.

Or is - and this is a scary thought - is CYN too galaxy brain even for Ryback? (Or vice versa?) 

Though also given that Ryback (a) hasn't wrestled since 2018 and (b) seems to have tried a few non-wrestling related business endeavors the last few years, I could also see him viewing photos from that live show they did a few weeks back and rightfully recognizing that this is going to be money-losing waste of everyone's time. 

Edited by clintthecrippler