DVDVR Message Board

March 2022 Wrestling Discussion

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

What did he say now?

Honestly didn’t think it was that bad compared to other comments he’s made. He was saying how he referenced Moxley on tv and it was in a positive light, but aew is always bashing wwe and he personally thinks it’s low rent and tacky. I think that’s a reasonable opinion. He did go into how they aren’t on wwe’s level, so it doesn’t make sense for them to punch down, but whatever. If he tried to say wwe had some type of moral high ground which caused them to not do it, then I’d have a problem. But he didn’t really say that. 

He is an idiot though. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Seth Rollins is Exhibit A for why tag team wrestling needs to be more prominent on the American scene like back in the '80s. Dude is a perfect lifetime tag member. 

The problem is that Bret and Shawn were successful tag wrestlers who then became successful singles wrestlers, so WWE decided to try that shit with everyone. This may be a fiery take, but guys like Edge and Rollins would have had much better careers if they were long-term tag wrestlers. 

It's too bad that by about 1998, WCW and WWE both clearly hated tag wrestling and sort of torched the divisions. There have been small revivals (snort) in WWE (2000, 2003, 2015-16 in NXT, et al.), but there are a lot of wrestlers who would be better off in a vibrant tag scene. 

Said similar about Seth Rollins before. Most tolerable Seth is Shield Seth. Bugs me as well when tag team division aren't treat well. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JohnnyJ said:

Let's be honest, Rollins entire career is one big house of cards. He's been riding the wave of waves for the last decade. It's hard to tell whether or not he's self-aware. If he is, I'm sure he sees endless talents either released or going nowhere fast and knows that he is blessed and will keep on toeing the company line. If he isn't, he may be further in the WWE bubble  than any other wrestler I can recall. 

The thing about Seth is that he's like one of those college football players who gets recruited as an athlete, because he has so many raw tools that pretty much every coach thinks they can make something out of him.  The issue with all of those guys is that unless they work really hard on the details, they kind of just become the fast dude who they throw a couple deep shots to just to keep the defense honest.  He's not quite the deep threat guy, but he clearly doesn't get all the intricacies of route running either.  You keep him on the field, because if he ever figures out all those details he's potentially one of the best wrestlers on the planet, but if he doesn't he's still capable of scoring a long touchdown every time you put him out there.  His issue is that he thinks he's Jerry Rice, when he's Desean Jackson.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Out of the three references, Captain America from The Avengers/Avengers Assemble in the UK is the only one I understood. Cheers, @twiztor. Never heard of Jerry Rice or Desean Jackson.

i'm not really a big American Football fan, but both of those players resonate with me. Just funny those were the two names mentioned.

• Like 1

I like Seth in-ring though this character with the dancing and corny faces* is insufferable. I just find any employee independent contractor being that much of a flag-waver for your company like your Tommy Dreamer in '98 ECW to be silly. Maybe he's just smart enough politically to know what he needs to say but it seems like he truly goes overboard with the "this is the best wrestling in the world" shit and I know he's smart enough about wrestling to know how much shit the company shovels every week. Like, he comes across like a meathead like Ryback who knows nothing about wrestling and not some dude that came from the indies, paid his dues and probably knows the difference between good booking and bad. 

*holy shit, I just realized that this version of Seth is literally what people think Omega does. 

Reportedly the next Saudi show this year is TLC in September. If so, they have done away with Saudi shows getting their own names and most likely all future Saudi shows are down to being 7 match cards.

The UK PLE will also be in September.

Edited by Blue Dragon
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Out of the three references, Captain America from The Avengers/Avengers Assemble in the UK is the only one I understood. Cheers, @twiztor. Never heard of Jerry Rice or Desean Jackson.

The thing about Seth is that he's like one of those developmental footballers who gets recruited because he's a great athlete, because he has so many raw tools that pretty much every coach thinks they can make something out of him.  The issue with all of those guys is that unless they work really hard on the details, they kind of just become the fast striker who they kick a long pass to to see if he can outrun the defense and get a shot on goal to keep the defense honest.  Seth is not quite the deep pass guy, but he clearly doesn't get all the intricacies of the beautiful game either.  You keep him on the field, because if he ever figures out all those details he's potentially one of the best wrestlers on the planet, but if he doesn't he's still capable of scoring a goal every time you put him out there.  His issue is that he thinks he's Pele, when he's *insert the name of a footballer who is incredibly athletic, but isn't really that good here*.

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Infinit said:

25 years ago.

I still get emotional watching this.

The very best part is when Bret's hugging Owen, the camera gets a shot of Bret just glaring DAGGERS at the crowd as they boo heatedly. Cracks me up every time. What a facial expression.

In Bret's book, he says he was trying not to crack up as he did it, which I can kinda see now that I watch it again. It was just great though, a moment that has stuck with me since I watched it live.

But that's my G.O.A.T., always doing G.O.A.T. things in the ring. It's to be expected. 

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

In Bret's book, he says he was trying not to crack up as he did it...

Owen's crocodile tears! Tremendous.  Thanks @Infinitfor sharing that post of that historic moment.  The Hart Foundation run was sadly a little short my liking.  DX taking the TV time and position leading to and following Bret's departure was depressing.  Luckily there was a Rattlesnake and the Most Electrifying man waiting in the wings.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

The very best part is when Bret's hugging Owen, the camera gets a shot of Bret just glaring DAGGERS at the crowd as they boo heatedly. Cracks me up every time. What a facial expression.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Owen's crocodile tears! Tremendous.  Thanks @Infinitfor sharing that post of that historic moment.  The Hart Foundation run was sadly a little short my liking.  DX taking the TV time and position leading to and following Bret's departure was depressing.  Luckily there was a Rattlesnake and the Most Electrifying man waiting in the wings.

Owen's sobbing would have been what I remember except that Bret upstaged him at the end there with the glare.

Bret's 1997 is still one of my four or five favorite wrestler years even with the ignominious ending to it. Up there with Rude '92 for me. Geez, what else would I put in that top five? I need to think about that. 

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

You make a great point. It's actually hard to believe how short it really was given how super- important that period was to developing my young fandom.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AxB said:

IWTV got AJW. Fuck Mania week, it’s Classic Joshi weekend.

Do they have the stuff form the 60s and 70s? Has the quality been upscaled on some level? If not then I'm curious why you wouldn't just watch all of the stuff youtube has.

I'd put Lawler's 1982 on that list of favorite wrestler years, I think.

YouTube is great for seeing wrestlers that you never would have otherwise. I've talked about my love of classic WoS that only exists because of Steven Regal, Ric Flair, and YouTube being a thing. 

What it's also great for is re-assessment of wrestlers because you can see more footage. Lawler is one of those dudes who I only really saw post-prime, but about a year or two ago, I basically went through all the Memphis on YT that I had never seen before. That made me understand better why some of y'all have Lawler as a top-25 wrestler all-time. 

• Like 4