DVDVR Message Board

March 2022 Wrestling Discussion

JJ Dillon was just suing Kevin Sullivan on Steve Harvey's court show on ABC. I had to google to figure out that part.

Or as my mom described it to me: "Steve Harvey has a judge show and two old wrestlers from 40 years ago were on there" and then she used the phrase "all-star wrestling" (the name of the Central States Wrestling show) to describe  pro wrestling and Steve Harvey being a wrestling fan who helped pay the money owed to JJ Dillon.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, L_W_P said:

Bradshaw was always awesome in those mid/late 90s tags.

Everyone piles into the ring for a shmozz and he just winds up and rips someone's head off with a lariat. Always got a pop.

With WWE/F not really being a tag team heavy territory for the most part I'm sure you get a lot of people that get placed with different tag partners for significant periods of time. Even Hardcore Holly and Billy Gunn were a team for a period and both guys were part of staple teams at different points. They've had Shawn Michaels in odd couple tag team angles in 2 different eras playing off the fact that he turns on his teammates.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

JJ Dillon was just suing Kevin Sullivan on Steve Harvey's court show on ABC. I had to google to figure out that part.

Or as my mom described it to me: "Steve Harvey has a judge show and two old wrestlers from 40 years ago were on there" and then she used the phrase "all-star wrestling" (the name of the Central States Wrestling show) to describe  pro wrestling and Steve Harvey being a wrestling fan who helped pay the money owed to JJ Dillon.

WCW dies, but the Horsemen vs Dungeon of Doom feud lives on.

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

8 hours ago, Log said:

All this tag team talk got me thinking. There hasn’t been a tag team break up in AEW yet, has there? I mean like Omega and Hangman just decided to stop teaming before they feuded, so not really a break up. I mean, we haven’t anyone turn on their regular partner yet, have we?

Sabian & Havoc or Sabian & Miro? The former got fired, the later beat him up, teased reconciliation then just kinda left?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Christ, think of all the territory Era disputes that would've been resolved if Harvey gad his Judge show in the 80's.

• Haha 1

Man, the Dungeon Of Doom gets hella shit on for being cheesy, but as a 16 year old dude that hadn't yet seen the much more fun Florida stuff, I was fully invested on them bringing Hogan down. I knew it would never happen, but I ate that dumb shit up. 

• Like 7

From a side glance, not a regular viewer, I was intrigued when I saw Beefcake dubbed the Butcher laying a solid beating on the Huckster.  I believed in their tassled brotherhood.  That said, I only ever saw highlights.  

17 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Even Hardcore Holly and Billy Gunn were a team for a period and both guys were part of staple teams at different points. 

Yeah?  Or are you referring to the new Midnight Express featuring Bombastic Bob (Holly) and Bodacious BART (Gunn)?  Am I the only one out there that was into this short lived team?  I mean it's Roma/Horsemen as far as the name legacy is concerned, but I dug this act.

Also, just now read/saw that Wendi Richter was an honorary member of the Midnights!  I had no idea.   

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
20 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

From a side glance, not a regular viewer, I was intrigued when I saw Beefcake dubbed the Butcher laying a solid beating on the Huckster.  I believed in their tassled brotherhood.  That said, I only ever saw highlights.  

Yeah?  Or are you referring to the new Midnight Express featuring Bombastic Bob (Holly) and Bodacious BART (Gunn)?  Am I the only one out there that was into this short lived team?  I mean it's Roma/Horsemen as far as the name legacy is concerned, but I dug this act.

Also, just now read/saw that Wendi Richter was an honorary member of the Midnights!  I had no idea.   

Hardcore Holly and Billy Gunn were a short lived team in 2004, before Billy was released from WWE.

52 minutes ago, grilledcheese said:

Man, the Dungeon Of Doom gets hella shit on for being cheesy, but as a 16 year old dude that hadn't yet seen the much more fun Florida stuff, I was fully invested on them bringing Hogan down. I knew it would never happen, but I ate that dumb shit up

oh yeah, anyone who killed Hulkamania, no matter how ridiculous the gimmick, would've had me on their bandwagon forever, even then.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

31 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

Hardcore Holly and Billy Gunn were a short lived team in 2004, before Billy was released from WWE.

Yeah, their finisher was oh so creatively named “the Gunn Holly Bomb.”  GHB, get it?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bob Holly has to be one of the most prolific tag team members in WWE/F history.

-with 1-2-3 Kid (incredibly short lived but they actually held the tag titles for one day)

-with Crash Holly

-with Bart Gunn as The New Midnight Express

-with Billy Gunn as mentioned above

-with Val Venis (a really underrated short lived tag team, imo)

-with Cody Rhodes (I didn't watch WWE at this time, but apparently they held the tag titles for a while)

-he was in that JOB Squad stable as well

Who else constantly cycled through tag partners?

28 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

-with 1-2-3 Kid (incredibly short lived but they actually held the tag titles for one day)

-with Crash Holly

-with Cody Rhodes (I didn't watch WWE at this time, but apparently they held the tag titles for a while)

Tony Garea kept becoming tag champ with different partners. Haystacks Calhoun, Dean Ho, Larry Zbyszko & Rick Martel.

3 hours ago, The Comedian said:

Last time I saw Kevin Sullivan he was up in the Pacific NW living as a leather tanner or some shit, at least according to the Legend of Mick Dodge...

Kevin Sullivan appearing on reality shows and indy wrestling and kinda looking more sinister now than he did in the 80s is really a weird hustle.

There's gotta be reasons other than the Radicals in 2000 or Nancy or Benoit Conspiracy nutters that have kept Sullivan from doing anything with the WWE over the last 20 years. Like, he crossed Kevin Dunn's dad in the WWWF or he did Triple H wrong in 1994 or whatever. It's not like they're offering him a legends deal and a HOF induction and he'd rather work Texas indies instead?

4 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

-with Crash Holly

Agreed, I loved the Holly/Billy team.

There was also an equally as awesome tag run from Holly and Charlie Haas the following year with a fun feud with MNM that included a 15 minute ironman tag on SD. Judgment Day 04 had Holly/Gunn challenging for the tag titles and then 05 had he and Haas challenging. 

• Like 2