DVDVR Message Board

March 2022 Wrestling Discussion

On 3/20/2022 at 1:09 AM, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Then Cody's music will hit, gigantic pop. (Which music I wonder. His Downstait music is his, he can use it anywhere. But it also is lyric heavy on fuck WWE stuff lol).

(Classical music)

"Turns out, wrestling has... Only one... Royal family."

(Downstait)

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, A_K said:

He's an incredibly insincere/self-serving individual it seems, so if the $$$ lines up he'll be saying anything they want and of course pandering to the fans. Makes sense they couldn't put him on TV until his TNT TV show finished. Coming in as a babyface would be .. weird .. but given his situation prior presumably that's what he'll be. If he tries the same 'white meat' schtick he started AEW as (let alone finished) then no doubt he'll flop. A more Machiavellian 'outsider' heel (pun intended) could be interesting, but let's see if they're clever enough to go that route

Here's the big issue.  WWE won't acknowledge AEW and for Cody to be perceived as this huge star they would have to mention his past accomplishments.  They won't mention former ROH Champ, AEW TV Champ, etc.  

The other issue is, Cody was never main event material in WWE. I'm willing to bet 90% of the people here can't remember his last WWE feud without googling it.

He is coming in as a way of Vince "sticking it to the competition" as well as his way of burying Cody just like he tried with Dusty.  Just wait for it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Here's the big issue.  WWE won't acknowledge AEW and for Cody to be perceived as this huge star they would have to mention his past accomplishments. 

That's a big issue? That one 3MB guy who went away and came back seemed to do just fine without them leaning too hard on the specifics of his time away. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

Did WWE write that tweet? "What a moment!"

Nah, had they used stupendous, then maybe.

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

That's a big issue? That one 3MB guy who went away and came back seemed to do just fine without them leaning too hard on the specifics of his time away. 

You know the bad part about this? It took me a second to figure out if you're referring to Jinder or Drew. (It's Drew, right?)

1 hour ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Drew was pushed before that, he was demoted because of the issues between him and his ex. He came back took care of his issues and did fine. Not the same thing. 

Also, delete my last sentence and I'd still win the argument because Drew didn't burn bridges the way Cody did. 

10 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Drew was pushed before that, he was demoted because of the issues between him and his ex. He came back took care of his issues and did fine. Not the same thing. 

Also, delete my last sentence and I'd still win the argument because Drew didn't burn bridges the way Cody did. 

Regardless of the reasons for people's "demotions," some of Cody's pushes have been commensurate with Drew's at the height of his Chosen One/IC reign stuff. Cody's been an ascendant 230+ day IC champ, been given characters and time to feature feature his personalities prominently, had PPV matches with some of their biggest stars, and he was part of a team that went over the Shield as strong as anyone has. He didn't achieve main event singles success, but his WWE run was equal to if not greater than Drew's first go in the company. 

As for burned bridges, who's to say. Things could go poorly, but some people with awful things to say about the place have come back in and gotten reasonable treatment (within the boundaries of what could be reasonable in this company; and yes, of course I realize this hasn't been a universal reality). And for all the shit Cody catches for slagging the them off or mocking them, Cody does go out of his way to say kind things about some prominent people in the company, Hunter especially. They might come to use him poorly, but I think you're painting an incomplete picture.

No idea what argument you want to win, because we're not arguing. I'm just pointing out that the things you're using to draw firm conclusions really don't merit such certainty. This could break a few different ways, and we don't know till we see it play out. 

• Like 2

I'm sorry if this is harsh, I like Cody and I like you @John from Cincinnatibut the only way it plays out is Cody feeling special for a maximum of 3 months before he's JAG like everyone else in WWE. A secondary character on The Roman & Brock Show. Again, not a knock on Cody at all - I really did enjoy probably 85% of his time in AEW - but I do not trust them to handle anyone well at this point.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I'm sorry if this is harsh, I like Cody and I like you @John from Cincinnatibut the only way it plays out is Cody feeling special for a maximum of 3 months before he's JAG like everyone else in WWE. A secondary character on The Roman & Brock Show. Again, not a knock on Cody at all - I really did enjoy probably 85% of his time in AEW - but I do not trust them to handle anyone well at this point.

I kind of expect the same as you. Best case scenario, I see him levelling off in the Drew/Rollins/Lashley/AJ/Owens zone. Which is relatively speaking still a great spot if you can get it and by most reasonable assessments of how things go there these days that is what being handled "well" looks like.

I'm mostly just curious to see how much of the fun of what he's become they sand off and how much weird/good Cody still makes it onto their shows. And how the crowd takes to him.

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 2

The issue is more that Cody did have chances when in WWE before (in Vince's eyes I am sure) to be a top star, and he was never able to break through. Cody had seven title runs in WWE, he wasn't a jobber, but its pretty firmly established in WWE history that he is an upper midcarder at best. That doesn't mean he can't be more than that, but its going to be a fine line to walk to present him as elevated without being able to say *why* fans should see him as more than Dashing or Stardust. And I can't envision Vince pushing Cody over his current top tier.

With WWE's track record with... everything... I don't think its unfair to assume that after WM they don't have a great plan for Cody after the Seth feud. Look at what happened with the Hardys - they made a WM return to a massive pop, fans were excited, and within a few months they were trading wins with The Bar on RAW. Vince has a very different opinion on how things should be done, and I just don't see him making a 180 in his methods for Cody Rhodes.

• Sad 1

Jon Gresham, ROH World Champion, just beat Cara Noir for the Progress World title. So he holds both a Tony Khan belt, and a Vince McMahon championship, at the same time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Regardless of the reasons for people's "demotions," some of Cody's pushes have been commensurate with Drew's at the height of his Chosen One/IC reign stuff. Cody's been an ascendant 230+ day IC champ, been given characters and time to feature feature his personalities prominently, had PPV matches with some of their biggest stars, and he was part of a team that went over the Shield as strong as anyone has. He didn't achieve main event singles success, but his WWE run was equal to if not greater than Drew's first go in the company. 

As for burned bridges, who's to say. Things could go poorly, but some people with awful things to say about the place have come back in and gotten reasonable treatment (within the boundaries of what could be reasonable in this company; and yes, of course I realize this hasn't been a universal reality). And for all the shit Cody catches for slagging the them off or mocking them, Cody does go out of his way to say kind things about some prominent people in the company, Hunter especially. They might come to use him poorly, but I think you're painting an incomplete picture.

No idea what argument you want to win, because we're not arguing. I'm just pointing out that the things you're using to draw firm conclusions really don't merit such certainty. This could break a few different ways, and we don't know till we see it play out. 

Argument was a poor choice of words on my part.  You are right Vince has brought back a good amount of talent. Bret Hart coming back for that last mini run was one I remember. 

Cody seems to be like a coworker I have. I can share the story.   I worked with this younger guy and it was his first job in our line of business. He would come into the office and put in earpods in sing really loud, we would order lunches and he would never pay for his share. Was he a dick? No he was just young and didn't know better. Well long story short I went to bat for him after everyone wanted him fired. He turned things around and did really well. Well then it started, he had an ego. He buried companies similar to ours, he went out of his way to trash talk other co-workers, and when something didn't go right he thought the world was out to get him.

I switched roles in September and he reached out to me because he was miserable and everything was going wrong at his job. I got him hired to work with me and he started back to his old ways. He is making $30k a year more base salary and now he is finding things wrong again. No matter what he is never happy. We go to lunches and he complains, just never happy no matter how good things are.  Now he is interviewing for another company already!!

This reminds me of Cody.  AEW gave him a huge platform to perform. Not just him but his wife as well. He got onto a TV show (Go Big Show) that he wouldn't have gotten otherwise, all the promo time he can ask for and he leaves. Reading books and watching shoots he comes across the same way. Just never happy and never at fault. 

Am I going to watch Mania? Sure, Hell I'm going to Raw next week.  Would I like to see Rhodes-Rollins? Sure it could be a great match.  Do I think Cody made a good move? Absolutely not. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, AxB said:

Jon Gresham, ROH World Champion, just beat Cara Noir for the Progress World title. So he holds both a Tony Khan belt, and a Vince McMahon championship, at the same time. 

Somewhere, Ultimo Dragon is nodding in approval.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

All of Cody's meta/burn stuff was aimed more at Triple H & NXT though wasn't it?

Maybe after the heart attack Vince agrees with Cody.That's why he killed NXT. That's way Hunter hasn't been back.

He's too weak for VKM.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, AxB said:

Aren't Progress independent again? Smallman is still involved with NXTUK but I think Progress got bought up by some guy who used to run Wrestling Travel & IIRC is on the board at Tranmere Rovers. Might have been in January

Yeah, the previous ownership of Progress are no longer involved in the company at all. BUT Progress is still on the WWE Network. Which is funny, because an a lot of the old footage, the commentator says things like "A big hello to everyone watching on Demand Progresss, and also to those of you watching on those other, dodgy websites".

On 3/19/2022 at 11:26 AM, Curt McGirt said:

They don't build to anything anymore. It isn't weird at all. 

They book for moments, not stories.  That's the number 1 issue with WWE booking.  Moments are great for video packages, but they don't stick in your head like stories do.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Spoilers for his debut: Flashing CODY letters everywhere, Picture of him and Pharao in 3D, music plays for 3 minutes. "Can it be? It is! OH MY!" 

Then he stands in the ring for 15 minutes while they replay his entrance, show a highlight reel of Pharao, go to commercial, three times, run something backstage where Pharao gets the 24/7 title. Cut back to the ring, Cody gone. 

Edited by MoeCristyV.1.6
  • Haha 8

23 minutes ago, MoeCristyV.1.6 said:

Spoilers for his debut: Flashing CODY letters everywhere, Picture of him and Pharao in 3D, music plays for 3 minutes. "Can it be? It is! OH MY!" 

Then he stands in the ring for 15 minutes while they replay his entrance, show a highlight reel of Pharao, go to commercial, three times, run something backstage where Pharao gets the 24/7 title. Cut back to the ring, Cody gone. 

Cody (fighting for Pharaoah) vs Reigns for who is the true BIG DOG~!

Culminating in a dog food match.

• Haha 2