DVDVR Message Board

March 2022 Wrestling Discussion

21 hours ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

I think the '96 WCW tag scene is underrated, actually. There are no great matches, but a lot of very good ones. Outsiders/Faces of Fear had a dope match on PPV that year that is worth seeking out, just off the top. 

The big problem was the belts had zero direction after Hall and Nash won them. I think they were vacated at least 3 times between 97 and 98. They had an awesome revival the first half of 99, though. Benoit/Malenko, Hennig/Windham, Raven/Saturn, and Rey/Kidman were about the only bright spot during that stretch where WCW was headed for imminent collapse.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Blue Dragon said:

PWInsider

"Cody Rhodes has signed with WWE, multiple WWE sources have confirmed.  Rhodes inked his deal about 10-14 days ago.

The current plan is to have Rhodes debut Wrestlemania weekend with the early word among those in the company being that Rhodes will be on the Raw brand."

FLppSDYVUAAAEJn?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 4
  • Haha 17

6 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Is anyone really going to care at Wrestlemania when Cody comes out? I seriously rhink he will be met with a wall of apathy. 

AEW fans will care. Otherwise, just apathy and hate. Obviously, Cody hasn't been on instagram to find out he's been on the job squad and he's not Seth's level. 

That's when he comes out, though. He will surely win over many morons by the time he's done.

I suspect his entrance will get a pretty massive pop, if only because people love moments and surprises (even ones they know are coming), and an AEW founder switching sides in a war he uniquely insisted on is one. The problems come after, both right away and further down the road:

1) A Rollins/Cody match will be fine, but probably suffer a bit from “and then the bell has to ring” syndrome, after the debut. And I’m not at all sure the crowd will regard him as a massive face, the returning King from exile, that he/the company will probably want. 

2) Any subsequent feud is going to be heavy on tedious worked shooty claims about who deserves to main event where, carrying companies, relationships to/with Triple H, etc.

3) He’s gonna get AEW chants basically forever, and I have no idea how he — and more importantly, Vince — will feel about that or respond to it. 

4) As everyone else has said, Cody isn’t going to get anywhere close to the amount of creative control he got in AEW, and he found that amount to be insufficient. 

Edited by Beech27
  • Like 6

They are building the match. The build is, Seth Rollins isn't going to be on Wrestlemania because he doesn't have an opponent. He wrestled KO on Raw for the right to interview Steve Austin on Wrestlemania and lost.

• Like 1

I’m intrigued to see what the reaction is, myself. My instinct is that he’ll get a big babyface reception, but…Mania is typically more of a smart crowd (i.e. composed of many of the same people who have been booing him in arenas and grousing about him online for the past year). And will WWE partisans warmly welcome him across party lines, or will they treat him like a carpet bagger, especially pitted against Seth Rollins, who has crafted an image of himself as Mr. Rah-Rah WWE over the years? An interesting dynamic to watch play out, for sure.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

With how Cody’s wild idea/mood swings are, I suspect he wants to do this scathing anti-AEW promo and sledgehammer a Ted Turner picture or something. Strange dude.

Let him burn a Fulham kit.

• Like 1

A lot of the more vocal Fulham (and Jags) fans dislike the Khan family's ownership though. And they have that thing where even though the people who own the club own the club, the fans think the club belongs to them (because they've liked it for a long time).

It's pretty much the same format as The Hardy Boys coming back at WM 34 in Orlando. It's not something that has been promoted but wink wink, the smart fans know it's happening. So Rollins will come out in gear and complain about not having a match. Then Cody's music will hit, gigantic pop. (Which music I wonder. His Downstait music is his, he can use it anywhere. But it also is lyric heavy on fuck WWE stuff lol).

But as has already been mentioned, once the bell rings the reactions will be the real interesting part. Rah rah WWE guy Rollins vs the invading guy that started "the new WCW". Plus even in AEW he was getting that mixed Cena reaction. I imagine that's a possibility since it's a smart heavy crowd. Or do they just keep humming Rollins theme the whole match and ignore what's happening? I think a lot of it depends on the placement. You open the show with it people will love it and do the dueling "Let's go Cody, Cody sucks" chants. You put it 4 hours in, you'll get muted reactions and them humming Rollin's music.

I think this segment / match is the most interesting thing on Mania for me. It's the only thing that has any real intrigue. Everything else, even if it will be good, will be paint by the numbers in a lot of ways.

• Like 5

“What is ‘pro wrestling’ if not entertainment?! I’m an entertainer! YOU, you all, you want to be entertained! This isn’t about two guys in trunks and boots ‘wrestling’ for half an hour, or forcing two beautiful women to mutilate themselves on national TV. NO! It’s our job to entertain YOU, WWE Universe! Not slumming it with some third rate bumper salesman’s kid in Jacksonville. This is the big time! And Cody Rhodes, is, big time! Prepare to be entertained!”

It’s coming 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Then Cody's music will hit, gigantic pop. (Which music I wonder. His Downstait music is his, he can use it anywhere. But it also is lyric heavy on fuck WWE stuff lol).

"Amer-er-ican Dree-am.

He's just a common man..."

• Like 2

9 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

With how Cody’s wild idea/mood swings are, I suspect he wants to do this scathing anti-AEW promo and sledgehammer a Ted Turner picture or something. Strange dude.

they'll bring Kendrick back as "The Jacksonville Jaguar" and job him to Cody

• Haha 3

He's an incredibly insincere/self-serving individual it seems, so if the $$$ lines up he'll be saying anything they want and of course pandering to the fans. Makes sense they couldn't put him on TV until his TNT TV show finished. Coming in as a babyface would be .. weird .. but given his situation prior presumably that's what he'll be. If he tries the same 'white meat' schtick he started AEW as (let alone finished) then no doubt he'll flop. A more Machiavellian 'outsider' heel (pun intended) could be interesting, but let's see if they're clever enough to go that route

• Like 1

9 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

“What is ‘pro wrestling’ if not entertainment?! I’m an entertainer! YOU, you all, you want to be entertained! This isn’t about two guys in trunks and boots ‘wrestling’ for half an hour, or forcing two beautiful women to mutilate themselves on national TV. NO! It’s our job to entertain YOU, WWE Universe! Not slumming it with some third rate bumper salesman’s kid in Jacksonville. This is the big time! And Cody Rhodes, is, big time! Prepare to be entertained!”

It’s coming 

Maybe the "Jericho Appreciation Society" is a way for AEW to beat Cody to the "I am a pro sports entertainer and I love sports entertaining" punch! ?

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1