DVDVR Message Board

March 2022 Wrestling Discussion

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

Is this true?

Gimme a break, will ya? This guy here (points at Gordlow) is a veritable fountain of misinformation! He's so old, he remembers when the Dead Sea was just sick! He's the only guy I know with an autographed copy of the Bible. He's the only man I know who can hide his own Easter eggs.

(no, it isn't true. I was trying to be funny)

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

Gimme a break, will ya? This guy here (points at Gordlow) is a veritable fountain of misinformation! He's so old, he remembers when the Dead Sea was just sick! He's the only guy I know with an autographed copy of the Bible. He's the only man I know who can hide his own Easter eggs.

(no, it isn't true. I was trying to be funny)

He's so old he was in the beta for dirt?

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Bobby & Gorilla will always be #1, but I've also got a soft spot for Gorilla & Jesse Ventura. My favorite bit was from either WM IV or V:
(Jesse) "Well of course you didn't see it, you've been stuffing your face with hotdogs! You've got mustard all over yourself...you're a mess Gorilla!"

Jesse was great (duh).

There was one WCW show when JR was going on about Vader "playing in the Super Bowl with the Rams and getting a ring", and Jesse is like, "Wait a minute! The Rams? They lost that game! What'd he get, a losers ring!?"

Edited by PetrolCB
  • Like 3

Jesse/Jim Ross was a great team because Ross always seemed on the verge of spilling over with irritation at Jesse, and Jesse seemed to enjoy egging Ross on to see if he could get him past that verge. 

Somehow, it ends up being enjoyable rather than uncomfortable. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PetrolCB said:

Jesse was great (duh).

There was one WCW show when JR was going on about Vader "playing in the Super Bowl with the Rams and getting a ring", and Jesse is like, "Wait a minute! The Rams? They lost that game! What'd he get, a losers ring!?"

Good thing that Jesse didn't know that Vader never played a down that season.

• Like 1

I suppose I'm showing my exact age when I say that the Schiavone/Heenan/Tenay Nitro team is my favorite of all time, with Schiavone/Dusty on SN as my second, of course. Taz and Excalibur bring a lot of that kind of energy to Dark and it's always appreciated. Zbysko didn't do much for me back then, but I appreciate him a lot more on rewatches as an adult (I was also too young to have seen him wrestle at that time, and didn't have any tape, so it's possible his grumpy veteran schtick didn't resonate for that reason).

I'll also second the love for the J.R./Paul E pairing of 2001. I really need to watch more of their WCW stuff. I'm not a Jerry Lawler guy. Even mid puberty I thought he needed to chill with the puppy stuff.

Loved Joey Styles back then but like a lot of things from that era, his solo commentary didnt age as well as one would have hoped. That said, I give him all the credit in the world for doing it solo most of that time, which couldn't have been easy. I think it was also kind of a novelty to me to have a one man team as versus what the big two were doing, another added layer to the alternative-style presentation. He was awesome with Callis though, some of that late-era stuff with The Network is still pretty good.

• Like 4

On 3/16/2022 at 10:15 AM, AxB said:

See?  Wrestling's barriers to entry are pretty low.  You only need to own a TV network OR be a son of a billionaire with TV connections.  That's all!

22 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Someone on twitter or one of the sites, found out Biff Busick had donated money to Drake Wuertz's campaign.  

He released this statement:

Yeah, Drake is texting friends for loans and then classifying them as political donations, which is very illegal.

20 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Will a fresh apology loosen the ban on the Briscoes?  Does a resume reference from Effy count for anything?  

I was against the Briscoes and said so in another thread, because that tweet was repugnant.  BUT that's a really good apology.  "we thought we were doing the Lord's work but we realize God is about love above everything else." 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

See?  Wrestling's barriers to entry are pretty low.  You only need to own a TV network OR be a son of a billionaire with TV connections.  That's all!

Ha, this may be true, but Court Bauer's MLW deserves nothing more than it receives.  They should pay a price for the shitty contracts they hold guys to when other opportunities arise.  And for producing, with a regularly talented roster, what I presume is the shittiest booking of any 'national' promotion going (tho, I haven't seen WWE in years). 

Curious, where does MLW find funding to even continue?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, Drake is texting friends for loans and then classifying them as political donations, which is very illegal.

Bix (yeah I know) tweeted that he didn't think Drake was violating any campaign finance laws. It's entirely possible Biff is just that stupid.

5 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Nothing makes me happier than watching old Clash of the Champions.   Nov 90 was the first WCW show I ever saw as a kid.  Love going back into the rabbit hole.   Jan 1992 is one of my favorite ones.  If you haven't watched Steiners Vs Hughes and Vader  please do so and let me know your thoughts!!

Amazingly enough, I was there! I was doing a newspaper internship in Lakeland, FL and made the drive to Jacksonville.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Casey said:

Bix (yeah I know) tweeted that he didn't think Drake was violating any campaign finance laws. It's entirely possible Biff is just that stupid.

The first reply in the reddit (yeah, I know) thread started by Biff Busick himself said:

Hi, campaign finance person here. Taking a personal loan from a friend and then turning around and reporting it as a campaign contribution is highly irregular and really should be reported to the state elections commission.

ETA: Even texted appeals should link to a properly disclaimered fundraising platform.

So I think I overstated it by saying "illegal," but it's definitely unusual and not exactly on the level.

Clash 21 ends with Barry Windham turning heel on his partner and opponents. So was this really the beginning of the last big Barry Windham run before he got injured and stopped giving a fuck? Or does he get some credit for the West Texas Rednecks being the best part of his career after 1993?

also, how known was the Gracie train in 1992 when Page/Nash/Scotty did a Gracie train on the way to the Flamingo/Johnny B. Badd boxing match?

WrestleVotes is claiming that the WWE will be running a PPV in Cardiff, Wales on Saturday, Sept 2

That is the same weekend that All Out is supposed to be (based on them traditionally running Labor Day weekend)

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

Clash 21 ends with Barry Windham turning heel on his partner and opponents. So was this really the beginning of the last big Barry Windham run before he got injured and stopped giving a fuck? Or does he get some credit for the West Texas Rednecks being the best part of his career after 1993?

also, how known was the Gracie train in 1992 when Page/Nash/Scotty did a Gracie train on the way to the Flamingo/Johnny B. Badd boxing match?

That was somewhat common in boxing back in the day, I think Apollo Creed and his corner did it in Rocky II.

'97 Bret had an insane run even with the lost month post-Survivor Series. He pulled off the "face internationally, heel in the U.S." act beautifully. I think it was harder than it might appear. He picked his spots with the anti-American promos. 

It also helps that he was beefing in part with DX, who were entertaining to an immature teenage Sir Smellington, but who on rewatch were the fucking worst. It kept things in perspective when he was also beefing with all the faces who were likeable. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

The first reply in the reddit (yeah, I know) thread started by Biff Busick himself said:

So I think I overstated it by saying "illegal," but it's definitely unusual and not exactly on the level.

Bix wrote an article on his site about this today, where he actually contacted Biff and Drake directly. It sounds like Biff thought Drake was buying signs for his (Drake’s) yard, and clicked the link that was sent to him in the text, didn’t read any of the disclaimers, and donated $100.

https://babyfacevheel.substack.com/p/no-drake-wuertz-didnt-violate-campaign?s=r

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

Re: Windham

As someone who also thinks mid to late 90s Barry Windham phoned it in, I will say that after rewatching Mania 13 a week or so ago that Barry was the best worker in the opener which included prime Furnas and LaFon. Granted, part of that is I think both Furnas and LaFon got lost in the match somehow and four of the other eight guys were the Headbangers and the Godwinns (although Henry was very good for a guy his size). However, Barry definitely had his working boots on that night.

1 hour ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

'97 Bret had an insane run even with the lost month post-Survivor Series. He pulled off the "face internationally, heel in the U.S." act beautifully. I think it was harder than it might appear. He picked his spots with the anti-American promos. 

It also helps that he was beefing in part with DX, who were entertaining to an immature teenage Sir Smellington, but who on rewatch were the fucking worst. It kept things in perspective when he was also beefing with all the faces who were likeable. 

I think it was on the Raw at the Skydome before Shawn lost his smile the next week (IIRC that was the next week in Lowell, MA) where Bret and Shawn had an interview segment in the ring with Vince. To me, that came off way more authentic/compelling than the boyhood dream shit the prior year where the buildup was just training montages of Shawn with Lothario in San Antonio and Bret at home and in the Dungeon. I get that the previous year was proto-HBO 24/7 or UFC countdown/Road to the Octagon, but the one segment basically allowed them to show more personality in 4 or 5 minutes than the entire leadup to Mania XII. In my mind, that's how you do babyface vs. babyface if you have to do that. Unfortunately, we didn't get the rematch at the next Mania in Chicago. However, it did lay the groundwork for what would happen the rest of the year. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, For Great Justice said:

Commentary team performances Mt Rushmore:

- 92 Rumble 

- Taker/Foley HIAC match

- BATB 96 main event and aftermath 

- And Michael Cole generally sucks, but shout out to MITB Cena/Punk. He was brilliant here.

I seem to remember Cole being pretty great during the main event of WrestleMania 30. It seemed like he was genuinely invested in Bryan winning.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Casey said:

I seem to remember Cole being pretty great during the main event of WrestleMania 30. It seemed like he was genuinely invested in Bryan winning.

He wasnt bad there, I'll agree. The most memorable call of his from that night for me is "For the love of Mankind" when Shane jumped off the cell, which I'm actually torn on to this day. On the one hand, I like the acknowledgment/invoking of Foley, but on the other, it's just a little too cute for me. Still don't know how I feel about it.

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Re: Windham

As someone who also thinks mid to late 90s Barry Windham phoned it in, I will say that after rewatching Mania 13 a week or so ago that Barry was the best worker in the opener which included prime Furnas and LaFon. Granted, part of that is I think both Furnas and LaFon got lost in the match somehow and four of the other eight guys were the Headbangers and the Godwinns (although Henry was very good for a guy his size). However, Barry definitely had his working boots on that night.

another randomish question: where would Furnas and LaFon rank on the list of guys who should have went to WCW instead of the WWF in the mid-90s? not sure if they were ever really on the radar and they probably wouldn't have done much in WCW either, but there would have been more guys to work with there.

Extra Clash 21 note: having one of your top babyfaces win the match by split decision because Ole Anderson voted for him over Rick Rude was.... odd booking.

Also was Jesse the most National WWF known guy to go down to WCW and get over there as well? I don't know if Jesse ever did much in the Carolinas or Georgia pre-WWF expansion but from Superbrawl in Milwaukee, the fans seemed pretty thrilled with the idea of him being around. I feel like I need to attach another conditional about National WWF guys in WCW who didn't work the south before their national runs.

Michael Cole has spent most of his career as a "high floor low ceiling" guy. Overall, I thought his best work was with Taz on SD during the first brand split. My favorite match those two called was the Survivor Series 05 Raw vs. SD tag where they came in with a huge chip on their shoulder about being the B show, and just let Styles and Lawler have it during the double commentary. He was good at WM 30 too with all the Bryan stuff and "The streak... is over."

• Like 3