DVDVR Message Board

March 2022 Wrestling Discussion

I do find it curious that after multiple apologies and years of being incident-free and working matches with gay wrestlers, that the Briscoes are apparently blackballed by unnamed executives but the current TNT Champion allegedly had a WWE offer pulled after some similarly cringe tweets during the same time period that were most decidedly NOT gay-friendly. 

And if all three of them have honestly changed or at the very least, recognize why what they said was hurtful, then good on them. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Those two are WWE-affiliated, though.

Does AEW have a similar example on their roster?

Scorpio Sky admitted on AEW’s own podcast that he used to be liberal in his use of the F slur. And that he regrets every time he ever used it and is profoundly sorry for ever doing that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AxB said:

Scorpio Sky admitted on AEW’s own podcast that he used to be liberal in his use of the F slur. And that he regrets every time he ever used it and is profoundly sorry for ever doing that.

Interesting example. Scorpio admitted to this years into the future and wasn't heard or seen doing it, so that's a lot different than Styles or Hogan, who were caught in the act. Also different in that Styles and Hogan have never publicly repented (Hogan openly shit on all the New Day members for not being cool with him, actually).

Seems like Jay Briscoe falls well in between these poles. I think this example serves my point, though, which is that WWE doesn't care about this stuff and AEW, for their own reasons, does care at least somewhat. It's hard to make a comparison with WWE guys for that reason. 

EDIT: Clint shed some more light on this - I had to look up who the TNT Champion was - so maybe it doesn't serve my point at all! 

Edited by SirSmellingtonofCascadia
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, SirSmellingtonofCascadia said:

Seems like Jay Briscoe falls well in between these poles. I think this example serves my point, though, which is that WWE doesn't care about this stuff and AEW, for their own reasons, does care at least somewhat. It's hard to make a comparison with WWE guys for that reason. 

I want to agree, but wasn't the tweet a point of contention to the Briscoes getting signed by WWE years ago?  I'm interested to know more about 'racist' AJ Styles.  Is their footage?  

Also, going by Rick Steiner's story, Michael Hayes is somebody who ought to be considered for termination.

3 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

. One of my favorite pairings of all time is Jim Ross and Paul E from the WCW years. They fed off of each other brilliantly. I always felt like Joey Styles was meant to be an amped up Paul E.   

I don't know if I ever saw them in WCW but I thought they where great together calling raw in 2001.

As for The Briscoes, I think its good that people get called out for their bad behavior instead of things being continuously swept under the rug like in the past. However I feel that if someone is willing to due the work we should allow them to come back, I don't think people should necessarily be given a scarlet letter and banished over past transgressions  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Casey said:

so Toni Storm is about to make a bunch of fucking money and good for her.

I applaud her for this, but admittedly if I was signing up for a wrestler's account, I gotta put Solo Darling at #1st.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AxB said:

some of Excaliburs early PWG commentary was questionable.  Eddie Kingston has made some remarks in IWA-MS interviews as well.  They are still on Highmark Network for anyone wanting to search them out.  

46 minutes ago, nate said:

I applaud her for this, but admittedly if I was signing up for a wrestler's account, I gotta put Solo Darling at #1st.

Solo Darling is unlikely to be wrestling on any shows any time soon. Edith and Willow have disassociated themselves from her. 

Spoiler

She's dating David Starr

She does (or at least did) have an Onlyfans though.

• Sad 2

45 minutes ago, nate said:

she is hot but her OF is a cashgrab (at least according to reddit) she charges people $100 of more for a 2 minute interview and it's not even R rated content.  Not sure of her mothly fee but to pay a monthly charge and then have to be asked to pay an extra $100+  is kind of carny.  Plus most of it will leak on reddit or other sites anyway.  Similar to that Dr. Phil chick.  

• Thanks 1

The Briscoes were offered a WWE developmental deal in 2015. They turned it down because they were making more on the indies and didn't want to move to Florida as they also helped run some of their families' businesses.

https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/articles/backstage-update-why-the-briscoes-turned-down-a-wwe-nxt-offer-re-signed-with-roh-instead

• Like 2

watching Clash 21 and wow did that crowd get behind Scorpio quick

then again, someone doing what Too Cold Scorpio was doing in 1992 was pretty remarkable if you were watching wrestling in Macon.

edit: it seems very Wattsian that they used the basketball style countdown timer in 3 different matches (the boxing match, the battle of the sexes, and the King of Cable match) instead of just using it in the King of Cable match.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

[Rowdy Roddy Piper has just pulled Jake "The Snake" Roberts off of Ric Flair] 

Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan, Announcer : I never thought I'd say this, but thank you Piper. It's a kilt. It's not a skirt, it's a kilt.

[Piper then nails Flair] 

Bobby 'The Brain' Heenan, Announcer : You no good creep! You skirt-wearing freak! It's not a kilt, it's a skirt.

- Listed on Bobby Heenan’s IMDB.  To be fair you could quote that whole match.

• Bobby Heenan's "Dammit!" when Ric Flair enters at #3.
  • "It's not fair to Flair!"
  • "Hey you, stupid. Get me some water."
  • "I have to apologise, I won't be my usual objective self."
  • "I'll never be bad again, just let Ric Flair win."
  • "Weasel yourself out, Ric."
  • "Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!" as Ric Flair becomes the new WWF Champion.
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

The Briscoes were offered a WWE developmental deal in 2015. They turned it down because they were making more on the indies and didn't want to move to Florida as they also helped run some of their families' businesses.

https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/articles/backstage-update-why-the-briscoes-turned-down-a-wwe-nxt-offer-re-signed-with-roh-instead

So cancel culture didn't kill their mainstream prospects after all! 

21 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

We probably had one ages ago but we should have a whole topic on best commentary lines.

It might be hard to catch for people who don't speak Japanese, but I always found it amusing when Kenji Wakabayashi would say [[What a manoeuvre!]] and Giant Baba would come back with [[Will you stop!?!]]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, The Natural said:
  • "Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!" as Ric Flair becomes the new WWF Champion.

Bobby & Gorilla will always be #1, but I've also got a soft spot for Gorilla & Jesse Ventura. My favorite bit was from either WM IV or V:
(Jesse) "Well of course you didn't see it, you've been stuffing your face with hotdogs! You've got mustard all over yourself...you're a mess Gorilla!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

It would have been interesting to see what they would have did with them in the early '10 if they had signed them. I don't picture them lasting as long as Owens and Zayn but who knows maybe they would've ended being HHH guys by being one of his early prospects. Either way good for anyone that can turn down a contract because they are doing well enough financially. It would've been nice to see them in 2015 as well too with FTR eventually Da Bar, the Usos , New Day. I think if they would have came in earlier would they have been in the Wyatt Family or against the Wyatts or imagine them in those 6 man's teaming with Bryan or Punk against the Sheild

Edited by Ziggy

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

It might be hard to catch for people who don't speak Japanese, but I always found it amusing when Kenji Wakabayashi would say [[What a manoeuvre!]] and Giant Baba would come back with [[Will you stop!?!]]

Is this true?

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

Who dresses you? the state?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

watching Clash 21 and wow did that crowd get behind Scorpio quick

then again, someone doing what Too Cold Scorpio was doing in 1992 was pretty remarkable if you were watching wrestling in Macon.

edit: it seems very Wattsian that they used the basketball style countdown timer in 3 different matches (the boxing match, the battle of the sexes, and the King of Cable match) instead of just using it in the King of Cable match.

Nothing makes me happier than watching old Clash of the Champions.   Nov 90 was the first WCW show I ever saw as a kid.  Love going back into the rabbit hole.   Jan 1992 is one of my favorite ones.  If you haven't watched Steiners Vs Hughes and Vader  please do so and let me know your thoughts!!

• Like 2