DVDVR Message Board

March 2022 Wrestling Discussion

6 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

We probably had one ages ago but we should have a whole topic on best commentary lines.

JR during the Foley/Taker HIAC was huge contributor to that match. I can't think of a single finer call of a specific match. Before, during, and after he had the right words and inflection for every moment. "He's broken in half" is iconic, but everything he uttered over that 30 minutes hit just right for the moment.

I'll always have a soft spot for the Tony/Bobby/Dusty WCW team I associate with my first memories of wrestling, but even today I find their call of BATB 96 to be particularly good. They ratcheted the tension up all show, always sounding on edge while still being professional enough to call the other matches properly (something that became a huge problem in the later NWO days), and then they just let their emotions fly in the main event. I never understood what people even hated about Heenan's "Whose side is he on" line. It was perfectly in character, and Tony and Dusty's indignant scoffs set up the moment just right. Even after being proven right, Bobby couldn't bring himself to gloat in the aftermath. Everyone was so thoroughly defeated.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

JR during the Foley/Taker HIAC was huge contributor to that match. I can't think of a single finer call of a specific match. Before, during, and after he had the right words and inflection for every moment. "He's broken in half" is iconic, but everything he uttered over that 30 minutes hit just right for the moment.

I'll always have a soft spot for the Tony/Bobby/Dusty WCW team I associate with my first memories of wrestling, but even today I find their call of BATB 96 to be particularly good. They ratcheted the tension up all show, always sounding on edge while still being professional enough to call the other matches properly (something that became a huge problem in the later NWO days), and then they just let their emotions fly in the main event. I never understood what people even hated about Heenan's "Whose side is he on" line. It was perfectly in character, and Tony and Dusty's indignant scoffs set up the moment just right. Even after being proven right, Bobby couldn't bring himself to gloat in the aftermath. Everyone was so thoroughly defeated.

7 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I agree on the WCW as well. One of my favorite pairings of all time is Jim Ross and Paul E from the WCW years. They fed off of each other brilliantly. I always felt like Joey Styles was meant to be an amped up Paul E.   

Tony at Bash at the Beach "Hulk Hogan you can go straight to hell!!" Is one I still use with some of my friends. 

35 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Will a fresh apology loosen the ban on the Briscoes?  Does a resume reference from Effy count for anything?  

I was at the show where Jay apologized. Some peoples mindsets will never change. Sadly he said what he said and shouldn't have but others have gotten second chances.  Professional wrestling is a weird biz. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

It sounds like Drake's been asking friends to borrow some cash only to use it for his campaign, which is a crime so that could be fun...

It's weird though since he, and others, are listed as campaign donors apparently. It's not like Biff or whoever loaned Drake money and he just used it to buy buttons or some shit.

Others include: Elias, Matt Riddle, Bobby Fish and Jimmy Jacobs

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Casey said:

It's weird though since he, and others, are listed as campaign donors apparently. It's not like Biff or whoever loaned Drake money and he just used it to buy buttons or some shit.

Others include: Elias, Matt Riddle, Bobby Fish and Jimmy Jacobs

Knowing everyone on that list (some for 10+ years) I am not shocked.   Bobby Fish may have done it to help a friend too though as his values don't seem to align with Drake's.  I'l share a quick story about Bobby:

He had a tshirt that read "left kick ER, right kick funeral"   I wore it to work on a casual day not thinking anything of it. They sent me home to change shirts.  I told him the story and he was pissed and wanted to talk to the person making that decision. He even offered me some free merch because he was so upset.  So wanting to help kickstart something for a friend I can absolutely see him doing.  

• Like 3

I know the basics of EC3 starting this promotion, but what's the story with this CYN?  Is it just there use of Austin Aries what sparks talk of shitty politics?  Also, this is a terrific rule.

EDIT: Was referring to the 5th rule specifically.  Not 1 thru 4 or 6 thru 8.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

That's a nice story, it really is. I'm not trying to be a dick when I say that, but...

Him, or Biff, or anyone, trying to "help kickstart something" for a friend isn't a good excuse when that friend is spewing dangerous ideology. I know wrestlers aren't made out to be that smart, but when stuff comes out about Drake storming out of an NXT meeting after Triple H said all religions and races are welcome in WWE/NXT, and knowing what Qanon promotes... no, just no.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

With there being a distinction between "fights" and "matches," does rule eight mean people having "matches" aren't in control of their narrative? Also, what are "standard "professional wrestling" rules" and does rule five apply to matches? Because those moves aren't banned in most standard pro wrestling matches. 

Silly. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati

CYN is a grift and is probably the only way that a new wrestling promotion can gain any traction in the U.S. We have more companies on national TV at a lower overall popularity for wrestling than ever. Let 'em soak the rubes of a few bucks, fuck it, whatever.

As for Jay Briscoe, people can change. Put him on AEW TV and tell him to stay the fuck off Twitter unless he's promoing for something. I get that AEW's crowd appears to be more inclusive and maybe more resistant to giving him another chance, but I don't think it hurts to at least try. 

I have to say, that Jay Briscoe apology is pretty solid.  He gave himself no outs on who's fault it was, explained why he said it and how his beliefs changed and why.  I don't know him, nor do I really care about his politics, but at a certain point we are talking about something he said over a decade ago and has apologized for repeatedly.  If he said it in 2009, apologized and never did it again, why are we still holding it against him in 2022?  I'm not saying you have to personally forgive him, but I don't have the energy to hope AEW doesn't hire them after all this time.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Will a fresh apology loosen the ban on the Briscoes?  Does a resume reference from Effy count for anything?  

I say this as somebody who likes the Briscoes a ton.  But when dealing with a national company on Turner networks Jay's going to have a huge uphill battle to climb.  Right or wrong that's how it is and I don't blame them for that decision.  It might also just not work at this time to consider them since they're really stacked with tag teams and I think it might be worth considering them a year from now anyway.

BUT let's say TK's willing to go to bat for them and try his damndest to bring them in.  For a company and network of that size he would need to effectively explain to the exec how Jay has changed and have proof ready if needed.  And while it's great that Effy likes them it's not guaranteed that everybody on the roster feel the same way.  So if there are those still unsure about Jay then some reassuring from TK, Jay or whoever may be needed to ensure all is well.

Now I can understand if you think that's overkill but again there's a difference between an indy company and a national company on Turner.  That's not at all disparaging how indy companies are either, just different circumstances.  I do think Jay has changed for the better and wish hope he truly means it when he apologizes.  But those were some incredibly damning tweets.  Even with the recent apology right or wrong if he wants in AEW more will need to be done.

EDIT:  I posted this after supremebve's post and admit his is much more succinct.  But to clarify I'd be happy to see Briscoes in AEW.  While I think there's merit to what I said I don't hold it against Jay anymore.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

What are AEW's demographics, actually? Do we have an in-depth study of that? I feel like if AEW has a significant LGBT+ viewership, Jay Briscoe isn't worth risking my relationship with them regardless of how sincere his apology was. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I say this as somebody who likes the Briscoes a ton.  But when dealing with a national company on Turner networks Jay's going to have a huge uphill battle to climb.  Right or wrong that's how it is and I don't blame them for that decision. 

I don't know if this is it. There's ample evidence of AJ Styles shouting homophobic slurs on the indies 20 years ago, and he seems to be doing alright. Also, Hulk Hogan...

• Like 3

Yeah, but the Briscoes also spent a good long while with the confederate flag on their gear. AJ Styles is a Deep South hick, but he’s a city slicker too.

I get what you’re saying, but I also understand why some people still harbor bad feelings towards them because of who, and what they are. 

to be honest, outside of questionable attire, and those incidents in the past, I haven’t heard anything from the Briscoe’s recently. Especially during the most politically heated time of our lives.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

22 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I don't know if this is it. There's ample evidence of AJ Styles shouting homophobic slurs on the indies 20 years ago, and he seems to be doing alright. Also, Hulk Hogan...

Those two are WWE-affiliated, though.

Does AEW have a similar example on their roster?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I say this as somebody who likes the Briscoes a ton.  But when dealing with a national company on Turner networks Jay's going to have a huge uphill battle to climb.  Right or wrong that's how it is and I don't blame them for that decision.  It might also just not work at this time to consider them since they're really stacked with tag teams and I think it might be worth considering them a year from now anyway.

BUT let's say TK's willing to go to bat for them and try his damndest to bring them in.  For a company and network of that size he would need to effectively explain to the exec how Jay has changed and have proof ready if needed.  And while it's great that Effy likes them it's not guaranteed that everybody on the roster feel the same way.  So if there are those still unsure about Jay then some reassuring from TK, Jay or whoever may be needed to ensure all is well.

Now I can understand if you think that's overkill but again there's a difference between an indy company and a national company on Turner.  That's not at all disparaging how indy companies are either, just different circumstances.  I do think Jay has changed for the better and wish hope he truly means it when he apologizes.  But those were some incredibly damning tweets.  Even with the recent apology right or wrong if he wants in AEW more will need to be done.

EDIT:  I posted this after supremebve's post and admit his is much more succinct.  But to clarify I'd be happy to see Briscoes in AEW.  While I think there's merit to what I said I don't hold it against Jay anymore.

The story about a Warner Exec objecting to their signing is confirmation that you're correct.  If it's true, which I suspect it is, I don't see TK going over anyone's head to bring them in.  All that said, I still do hope there's some way they're able to get them on the ROH roster.    

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

The story about a Warner Exec objecting to their signing is confirmation that you're correct.  If it's true, which I suspect it is, I don't see TK going over anyone's head to bring them in.  All that said, I still do hope there's some way they're able to get them on the ROH roster.    

Not if they want to put ROH on HBO Max.

2 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If you were the Briscoes, would you be confident that you'd be used effectively, given how unspectacular they have used FTR so far? 

I would. I love FTR but they don't have the capability to get themselves over like the Briscoes can. Just give Jay the mic, tell him not to say anything too stupid, and they'll be over night one. Chicken would be a good damned national phenomenon!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

If you were the Briscoes, would you be confident that you'd be used effectively, given how unspectacular they have used FTR so far? 

What?  FTR were Tag Champions and have been featured many times over.  The personal issues and injuries that have kept them sidelined weren't booking calls.  

• Like 1